• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

lower wagon

GT142

Hello,
looking for input/ride impressions on lowered 122 wagons.
I'm considering the VTO 15" wheels with 195 60 tires.
What springs have you guys used?
any advice on tire size, shocks, etc.. would be great.
The car is a 68' 122 wagon
Thanks!
John
Something like this?
F9EE2AD3-7D3E-45DC-A5E6-5E53D3F6D0A3_zpsslq5y5zv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
A 24.2" ? wheel is a bit short for a car that came with a 25.4" ? wheel, just say'n you should seriously consider 195-65-15's @ 24.98" ? before you purchase tires.

IE a bit wider and heavier, and just a tad shorter to maintain acceleration parameters, braking and cornering of course will improve.

A 24.2" ? wheel is a bit short for a car that came with a 25.4" wheel, just say'n you should seriously consider 195-65-15's before you purchase tires.

right..overall diameter.

i've got some 60's laying around but
suppose more tire to fill the well would be good.
wondering how low I can go with no rub?

right..overall diameter.

i've got some 60's laying around but
suppose more tire to fill the well would be good.
wondering how low I can go with no rub?

More of a winding out a rig that's already marginally modern freeway speed able as it is.

Pretty low until the suspension angles are all screwy and your steering box suffers.

After all you're within the ~1 & 1/8" room around the tires for snow chain clearance with 195's if you don't goof up the offset as well...

Last edited:
So 1-2 inch springs at most. And 65 sidewalls
I don't want to ruin the ride but do want less dead cat space.

Mine was dropped 2.5", that wasn't too bad but the spring and shock were not matched well. Bump steer seems to be on the harsher side. I've heard of people taking the lower ball joint and moving it from below the a arm to above it and getting 1/2-3/4" of drop. Currently I have 3/4" spring isolator in the tool box and I might try them along with flipping the ball joint to see if the change helps anything.

On my 195/65/15 snows, the car sits relatively low, handles ok, but I think there's room for steering improvement. I thought about changing the outer tie rod location to see what that feels like.

Don't try to lower it too much without going to a better shock. Personally I'm running kyb gas a just and they're garbage with the drop and springs I have. I'll be swapping to a chevy competition engineering adjustable to see how that goes, they're 1.5" shorter and hopefully the valving will match better

Last edited:
Mine was dropped 2.5", that wasn't too bad but the spring and shock were not matched well. Bump steer seems to be on the harsher side. I've heard of people taking the lower ball joint and moving it from below the a arm to above it and getting 1/2-3/4" of drop. Currently I have 3/4" spring isolator in the tool box and I might try them along with flipping the ball joint to see if the change helps anything.

On my 195/65/15 snows, the car sits relatively low, handles ok, but I think there's room for steering improvement. I thought about changing the outer tie rod location to see what that feels like.

Don't try to lower it too much without going to a better shock. Personally I'm running kyb gas a just and they're garbage with the drop and springs I have. I'll be swapping to a chevy competition engineering adjustable to see how that goes, they're 1.5" shorter and hopefully the valving will match better

Hey, Thanks for the info !..
will have to look into the balljoint thing, interesting.
yea, I don't need much lower, especially if I run 195-65's
I have seen some 1" lowering coils from Scandix I think.
just installed a new water pump last night and hope to have her running tonight.
great to hear first hand knowledge of ride quality, handling etc.. thank you.
anybody have a good source for lowering coils?

Is this pic with your 2.5 drop?
Still seems high in the back.
What size tires on the car in this pic?

Overload coils on the rear (it sits about stock height unless there's an engine block in the back) and super stiff fronts but I can't remember if they were 350 or 400. Comparing uncompressed fronts it was about 2.5" difference, but after stripping the entire interior and extra junk, it's probably more like 1.75-2".

Tires are 185/60(or65)/15 but I can't remember, I'll check tonight.

Back