• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1993 960 Sunroof not opening

stick70

Big dreams, medium skills
When I press the switch the motor will "thunk" like it wants to move, but the panel doesn't actually move. It does this for both directions on the switch.

Do these things have a cable that seizes up or something?

Take the cover that houses the motor/gear off and lube everything. I had to do this on a 92 i bought many years ago and there were some teeny skeletons in there! No lie...I guess they were mice...weird. Anyway, after I cleaned and lubed everything, it worked.

Once you get it moving, TriFlow the track. I did this a couple of months ago on both the '88 760 and '94 940T, and it made the sunroofs work much better.

TriFlow, for those who don't know, is a lubricant that uses Teflon (tm). It last a long time and really makes things run smooth. Always shake the can/bottle well before applying to the Teflon is in suspension. You can get it at Amazon. I'm not sure where else.

The best piece of advice regarding 2/7/9 sunroofs is once it's closed, disconnect the switch and leave it that way. You're opening a Pandora's box trying to get them sorted out.

The sunroof in my 240 was silicone sealed shut when I bought it, works fine now.

I'll get my spell book out. :urgod: :twisted:

I think I'll start by seeing if it works manually, then go from there. I'll keep y'all posted.

Well it's jammed up pretty good. Confirmed the motor works fine, and I can't get the screwdriver to budge it manually. Cables locked up or is there another common failure point?

I think I'm just going to keep an eye out for a glass one with a headliner to swap in. The right cable is available new but the left is NLA.

Back