• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

is megaquirt still the norm?

hey 8DOM8S8AN this coil set, where did you have it mounted, and is the screws that go through the body grounding anywhere?

ps, thanks tryingbe, I don't know why by brain wasn't working then haha

hey 8DOM8S8AN this coil set, where did you have it mounted, and is the screws that go through the body grounding anywhere?

ps, thanks tryingbe, I don't know why by brain wasn't working then haha

Screws are not grounded anywhere.
We mounted it on the firewall and ran ignition wires from there.

When you say you "adjusted more gap"? Do you mean the resistor thing? Or did you machine the trigger wheel?

More gap between the sensor and triggerwheel, we just spaced out the sensor from the trigger wheel

If you run into any issues, just add a 10k resistor between signal and voltage wire of the sensor.

Screws are not grounded anywhere.
We mounted it on the firewall and ran ignition wires from there.

30CZdk2.jpg

that's a sexy looking bit of kit. Why the K-jet manifold, and is that a standard radiator?

K-jet should flow better than the original and it cost's like 20 euros if you happen to find one. Building a large plenum with custom throttle body will cost +500 euros.

Original radiator, no issues so far.

For easy and cheap wasted spark you can use VW coil pack: 032 905 106.
It only needs logic level control and is suitable to use with microsquirt.

Pinout:
1. Channel A
2. +12v
3. Channel B
4. Ground

Microsquirt settings:
Ignition input capture: Rising Edge
Spark output: Going High
Dwell time: 3-5ms

wait, I'm confused, when I look at this manual http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/sparkout-v22.html#logic it only has options for 4cyl cop, or 8 wasted.... should I use spark a, and spark b only? And let the wasted spark do its thing? I'm so unsure haha. (I have my ms2 daughterboard waiting to go on my v2.2 now)

Yes, for a 4cyl wasted spark you need only two outputs (A & B).

For Wasted Spark COP there are alternative settings and wiring depending on the platform.

And that coil is holding up well on a 20# boosted red block so I would not hesitate to use it.
You are even able to use stock rear mount plug wires with that coil.

...You are even able to use stock rear mount plug wires with that coil.

Very good to know! I?ve been thinking about these since I helped a friend change one out on their VW. Saw the heat sink, and immediately had dirty Volvo thoughts.

Yes, for a 4cyl wasted spark you need only two outputs (A & B).

For Wasted Spark COP there are alternative settings and wiring depending on the platform.

And that coil is holding up well on a 20# boosted red block so I would not hesitate to use it.
You are even able to use stock rear mount plug wires with that coil.

okay, I haven't looked at software yet (looked at it ages ago, but have forgotten everything), so I'm just assuming I set up 2, and tell the software to do wasted. How should it be? Like 1-3 and 2-4 for a b230?

I'm using kjet in standalone form because I'm a cheap bastard

haha I used to consider this all the time!

okay, I haven't looked at software yet (looked at it ages ago, but have forgotten everything), so I'm just assuming I set up 2, and tell the software to do wasted. How should it be? Like 1-3 and 2-4 for a b230?

haha I used to consider this all the time!

1&4 and 2&3 for any 4 cylinder engines.

I had a megasquirt microsquirt, it ran, it did it's job. I switched to AEM EMS 4. More expensive, yes, but super easy w/ 5x the features & functionality. I definitely recommend looking into it.

Just remember a MicroSquirt is a neutered MS2 and does not support all the MS2 features.
And a MS3 will do way more than a AEM EMS 4 for near the same price.

Although a modified MS2 will do most anything the VOlvo crowd desires except built in logging.

At the time MS3X was the only option for all of the features I run. It's less costly to go with the AEM unit. It's been more reliable, and required no modifications, unlike megasquirt which required shunt resistors & such. AEM has built in tools to run your A/C, plus high idle, traction control, and it has top notch map blend flex fuel support.

Can the EMS 4 handle a 60-2 trigger? I've known a few people who couldn't get them to run because of that on a BMW. Even with the resistor across VR+ and VR-, the voltage was peaking too high.

It handled the 60-2 better than MS w/ the stock sensor. I switched to a Fuel Tech Hall sensor & an 89 Dist w/ a hall sensor so I can go COP and eventually fully distributorless. My setup is a stock 90 744 w/ 60lb/hr injectors, 300lph fuel pump, DO88 Intercooler, HKS BOV.

It handled the 60-2 better than MS w/ the stock sensor. I switched to a Fuel Tech Hall sensor & an 89 Dist w/ a hall sensor so I can go COP and eventually fully distributorless. My setup is a stock 90 744 w/ 60lb/hr injectors, 300lph fuel pump, DO88 Intercooler, HKS BOV.
Did you try to run your AEM EMS 4 with the stock Volvo VR sensor, or just the Fuel Tech Hall sensor?

The VR sensor is tricky to use because the output voltage varies with engine speed. Really roughly, ~1volt while cranking to ~80volts at max RPM. The hall sensor is much nicer, ~5 volt output at any speed.

Not to derail the thread but are you tuning your car yourself SoFla960? It doesn't seem like the are very many people running aem. Any chance I could PM you for your calibration files for comparison?

@Bobxyz I ran w/ a the stock VR sensor for a good while, no issues. AEM has a profile/ calibration for 60-2 VR. AEM has sequential injection which really helped w/ idle & driveability over the batchfire of MS
@Greenvolv, I did the install and tune myself, and I'm a certified mechanic. Shoot me a PM, I'll take a look, please include your regular email, and all the details of your setup as well as any issues you're having.

If anyone else has any questions regarding AEM and/or tuning, I'll do my best to check this thread as long as it's revived, or simply send me a PM. I'm not on here everyday, but I'll try to reply as soon as possible,please include an email address if you need tuning help

Back