• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just the beginning.... 8.8 ford swap.

very nice !!!

In the June '07 issue of Car Craft, there is an article on using the 8.8 for other vehicles, interesting reading and worth it I think for those looking to do the same thing....

For me, this is something I want to do since I currently have 17x8 Cobra R rims with the 5x4.5 BC and 25mm spacers/adapters....using an 8.8 could give me the correct hub to hub distance so that I could ditch the adapters in the rear....still trying to figure out a more cost effective method for the front to ditch those adapters as well

The diff ends up around 1.5" wider than stock, and it is 5x4.5" bolt pattern, so I can now run "normal" wheels (which in my case are 18x10.5 et14 and are going through customs as we speak :oogle:) without any adapters. Bonus.

Since the caliper adapters for the big brembos were soooo easy to make, i'll be on to modding my hubs (redrilling and reinforcing) so that they are also 5x4.5" next week as well.

BEEN WANTING TO DO THIS FOR AWHILE NOW. LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES!!!

JASON

"Not sure what you mean by lack of panhard mount, btw. Neither has a panhard mount. The panhard mount is part of the volvo torque rod bracket. It all transfers over as one piece. "

That's what I meant and I see now... good work and keep us informed

Thanks guys! The diff is going in the green (well, grey now, soon to be re-done something in something very sexy but top secret ATM ;-):-D) wagon with T6/M90h.

It does indeed end up allowing you to ditch spacers completely. and have 5x4.5.

Peter, I'm interested in the weight difference myself, I need to like, buy a bathroom scale or something as I have no means of weighing them.:oops:

For someone who has no intention of upgrading the rear brakes, doesn't mind spending the money for a diff that isn't clutched, and doesn't mind using wheel adapters, a 1031/1041 with something that gets rid of the spiders/cross shafts is fine for 90% of folks here.

Me? 8.8's are cheap. Parts are cheap. They're strong. Clutched Posi. I get whatever aftermarket I want, good bolt pattern, and cut-off discs and TIG rod are cheap. So it made sense for me.

I have been at coachella the last 5 days so I haven't done anything to the car.
Just got back and no f*cking wheels and no f*cking suspension parts. Customs sucks sometimes.

This week I finish up the front brakes and hopefully re-drill the hubs.
Stay tuned!:nod:

Peter, I'm interested in the weight difference myself, I need to like, buy a bathroom scale or something as I have no means of weighing them.:oops:

When you do weigh them, start a new thread so that we know that you've done it. You've GOT to know someone with a bathroom scale...!

Peter

Out of interest and to bump this thread, do you have any pictures of the driveshaft ends? Can they be cut down and resplined or do custom ones have to be made? Are 8.8" 31 spline shafts the same as 9" 31 spline shafts?
Sorry to ask all these dumb questions but these axles aren't natural residents of the UK so being forearmed with the appropriate knowledge can save time, money and sometimes face in the long run.

Found one for ya!

http://www.pbase.com/capnbondo/image/78504414

I don't think you hear of people modding axles very often, as the heat treat on the splines is pretty specific, and it'd be hard not to mess with that/get it back the same.
Typically you have cu$tom alloy axle$ made from $cratch. I'm not $ure how much, but I don't think it'$ cheap. ;-)

Found one for ya!

http://www.pbase.com/capnbondo/image/78504414

I don't think you hear of people modding axles very often, as the heat treat on the splines is pretty specific, and it'd be hard not to mess with that/get it back the same.
Typically you have cu$tom alloy axle$ made from $cratch. I'm not $ure how much, but I don't think it'$ cheap. ;-)

I've already had a quote for that that I didn't think was too bad: ?55 a side for narrowing, ?150 a side for shafts. That's from a fabrication company that also races a fueller, so I guess I can trust them.

I'am a little confused as why you didn't run a Mustang rear end. If you want 31 spline then you could order the axles for $250 from Moser axles. The center diff you could have just taken out of an Explorer or an F150 with 31 splines. To me it looks like you took the long route but I give you credit for the work since you did an awesome job. By the way, I have a nice new Auburn Pro 31 spline diff if you are interested:)

James

You guys crack me up. Have fun whatever you guys decide to do. I build my stuff right and it works. Have fun.

Back