• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

bee*r or any rev limiter? help

couple ways to get it working based on what we know about lh, doesn't change the fact that it's kind of a silly thing, bu ymmv.

anyway, could intercept the rpm signal going from ezk to lh, that's a converted signal, and then wire the trigger to the 129 module into the spark part.

I think I now understand how the Bee*R rev limiter works. It's not at all what I thought initially, and the internet is filled with bad info.

The Bee*R rev limiter is a Spark Retard rev limiter. It retards the spark by stepping on the distributor or crank angle sensor signal and extending the signal low time by the desired retard. You can think of it as retarding spark by electrically rotating the distributor or CAS.

It's not capable of doing cut spark, and has nothing to do with fueling. It "T"s off of existing wires, it does NOT get spliced in between anything. For this to work, the CAS or Distributor must have a 3-pin (or 4-pin) connector with an open-collector Hall or Optical pickup. 2-pin VR sensors won't work.

The Bee*R drives the CAS signal with it's own open-collector driver. The allows it to extend the sensor low time, which in turn retards the timing. I'm not sure but I'd guess that this scheme is limited to CAS or distributor pickups with 4 pulses per engine cycle, or maybe low tooth count wheels (with no missing teeth).

For old Volvos, this means that LH2.2 with the 3-pin distributor pickup should work -- try connecting the Bee*R Green Control wire to the distributor output signal (center pin?), and the Yellow Tach Sensor wire to pin 5 of the ignition power stage (spark input from EZK).

For LH2.4, I'm afraid the 60-2 tooth wheel and VR sensor won't work with a Bee*R.

-----------------------
Unlike the Bee*R limiter, the Omex ones seem to work with a single wire T'd into the ignition power-stage to coil wire (usually red/white on Volvos). This would still do Spark Retard rev limiting by extending the coil charging or dwell time. The Omex box must contain a mosfet driver to be able to supply the coil charging current. I'd guess that the box gets hot when used for anything more than a couple seconds.

-----------------------
The WOT Box limiters are different in that they get spliced into the middle of the power wire for the coil(s). This allows them to do Spark Cut rev limiting (but won't support retard).

-----------------------

I know that the Buchka wasted spark boards for LH2.4 include an experimental launch control limiter. That might be the nicest solution (but probably doesn't generate the noise, flames, or damage that the other boxes do).

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks for the info. The Bee*R I purchased was a knockoff from aliexpress for $75 CAD. I am on lh2.2 and I did get it to work... to an extent. I actually used the wiring found in the comments of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuTq5hZsx2M

The guy is on lh2.4 and still got it to work but most likely not properly if your explanation is correct. Anyways, I spent hours comparing lh2.2 wiring diagrams to lh2.4 diagrams and discovered that all the pins referenced do the same thing on lh2.2. I wired up the bee*R using those wires and it works...kinda.

Hard to tell what is being caused by the unit being a knockoff and what is being caused by the wiring but here are the results:

-rev 2 does not work at all, doesn't matter if the switch I wired is on or off, it does nothing (I may just not have a good ground but I'm pretty sure I do)

-rev 1 does work and does indeed increase the cut rpm.

-gain works... kinda on most settings the cut is choppy and not consistent. instead of cutting at a regular quick interval to "hold" the rpm, it more cuts ignition completely and the rpms fall off, then the car recovers and revs back up only for the limiter to kill it again... over and over but I'm talking very slowly... like much slower than the highest gain (lowest? can't remember) setting should ever be. However, with the gain knob on the last notch, I do get a pretty consistent cut and more importantly... some good, loud flames... out the hood.

So all in all its pretty well useless as an actual 2-step for launching but it can be set up in a ghetto manner using rev 1 and gain to become a flame shooter.

I know that the Buchka wasted spark boards for LH2.4 include an experimental launch control limiter. That might be the nicest solution (but probably doesn't generate the noise, flames, or damage that the other boxes do).

Cheers,
Bob

I was kinda hoping it would...not the damage, or really the flames. Just the noise. It will be in soon enough and we will see how it is

Back