• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aw72L

So I'm about to be on my 6th transmission ever since I've plus T'd my 240. I've replaced the transmission every year. I added the accumulator mod, two trans coolers and a fan. I guess it just doesn't like slicks and drag racing. Not sure what to do next. I have one more spare transmission then I may detune it or swap the engine. I'm not sure what else to do to make the auto survive?

I've heard the th350 and other auto route doesn't work well with lh2.4 setup. The triggering of the crank sensor is affected. The T5 is good choice but rather costly. My car doesn't make that much power. Maybe 250 whp but shifts 1st to second tend to fade first then the transmissions tend to start slipping soon after. I just dont see how people have had such great luck on them unless they just street drive them.

I've been running an AW72L for a while in my modded 780. The accumulator mod works well. I also added an 18,000 GVW trans cooler in addition to the 2 stock coolers.

Been over 9 years now. Fluid is still cherry kool aid.

build one, replace all the seals, put an extra clutch in c2 and b1, with high energy frictions.

Slicks probably increase your effective torque on trans components by maybe 20%? If the car is big turbo, or whatever turbo is hitting WAY hard vs the NA power of the car, you're almost getting 2 "launches" per launch. Off the line and then another when boost hits.

I know people have done all this successfully, but with my 15G and the accumulator mod... even without the coolant issue I had I suspect my AW7x wasn't long for this world.

guys seriously... these transmissions are, on the short end of things, 22 years old now. Many (most) are probably another 5-7 years older even than that. For a 72L you're talking 89 to about 91, so that puts most of THOSE at 26+ years old.

and for a large portion of their life I doubt they were treated well or looked after. Rubber goes bad. things leak. things get old. It's not that big of a deal to go through one, esp if you have a couple spares already sitting around.

follow the guide in link 2. you can get an A43D/L soft parts kit (seals, etc) for fairly cheap and order the clutches and steels seperately

I've heard the th350 and other auto route doesn't work well with lh2.4 setup. The triggering of the crank sensor is affected. The T5 is good choice but rather costly. My car doesn't make that much power. Maybe 250 whp but shifts 1st to second tend to fade first then the transmissions tend to start slipping soon after. I just dont see how people have had such great luck on them unless they just street drive them.

My car runs just fine with a TH400 behind it :e-shrug:

So I'm about to be on my 6th transmission ever since I've plus T'd my 240. I've replaced the transmission every year. I added the accumulator mod, two trans coolers and a fan. I guess it just doesn't like slicks and drag racing. Not sure what to do next. I have one more spare transmission then I may detune it or swap the engine. I'm not sure what else to do to make the auto survive?

So I don't mean to 'thread jack' but I was about to post my own thread about my own similar situation. Do you or anyone happen to know if an AW71 out of a non-turbo (1994 940) is the same as a 'turbo' AW71? I've searched high and low and I have gotten a few conflicting accounts. :-(

Back