home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 12-22-2017, 12:53 AM   #26
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Anyone have some RSI cams to donate to this cause, just to show how horribly they were designed once and for all?

1968 Furd Rustang fastberk | 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU | PT6776S | 4L80e Microsquirt TCU Sloppy Transbrake | 3.73 8.8" rear end

1981 Piper Cherokee Archer II | All stock
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:10 PM   #27
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

I have a (now broken) c2 sitting in my shop, and a new stage 3, but I'd have to ask their owner if I could ship them anywhere.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #28
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gross polluter View Post
Anyone have some RSI cams to donate to this cause, just to show how horribly they were designed once and for all?
I've got a NIB stage 3 and I'm local to the OP - ready when he is!
Old 02-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #29
volvofan1990
Board Member

Thanks for all your hard work brother man.
volvofan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #30
shoestring
Board Member

You're welcome. It's my pleasure to dispel the speculation.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:35 AM   #31
project volvo
spoolakowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I've got a NIB stage 3 and I'm local to the OP - ready when he is!
I also have a few new cams enem, v cam, RSI. Lmk what you guys might need.

project slowski (old project now gone)^^^

New Project Slug Works

my feedback thread here > FEEEEDBACK!!!!
project volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:22 AM   #32
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
I have a (now broken) c2 sitting in my shop, and a new stage 3, but I'd have to ask their owner if I could ship them anywhere.
Oi! Wtf happened?

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #33
shoestring
Board Member

I have a couple days off coming in 2 weeks, provided the weather is good I'm planning to knock out 3 more cams: the B and the M that I have, and one more of the crowd's choosing. You guys pick. If it's a small base circle cam, I have some lash caps but I'm not positive they would be correct for my otherwise stock valve train.

Last edited by shoestring; 02-23-2018 at 09:54 AM..
Old 02-25-2018, 01:27 AM   #34
shoestring
Board Member

Added Volvo "M" camshaft today. It's milder than the salsa at a Mexican restaurant in the middle of Nebraska
Old 02-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #35
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
Oi! Wtf happened?
Too much clown sex
"Use the barbed adapter like what I use to inflate the air camping mattresses and my dates." FTF Engineering
i am inspired. i will replace my windsheild... with an intercooler.swedishK
Feedback!
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #36
esmth
dirty swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
Added Volvo "M" camshaft today. It's milder than the salsa at a Mexican restaurant in the middle of Nebraska
So when can I come pick it up?

Also I obtained an L cam if you're interested in measuring that in the future
Old 02-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #37
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
Oi! Wtf happened?
threw a shim, broke the rear thrust surface clean off. didn't catch it til the cam came out to put the ipd turbo cam back in.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #38
shoestring
Board Member

Added total duration figures per lift value, intake and exhaust, as requested. Looking at this, and seeing it in print, it's obvious that the engineers had a rough 20° per 0.050" valve lift figure in mind. Perhaps this is as fast as you can go with the 35mm lifter bucket? I see the IPD cam runs the same, and I would have expected an aftermarket grind to be more aggressive in this arena.

Any of you smart guys have input? I am aware of the derivatives of valve acceleration and jerk but not the math...
Old 03-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #39
Fred Gwynne
Board Member

Thanks for all the information you are providing to us, shoestring.

I'm pretty confused by this stuff and the charts so hopefully someone can help me out with it. I'm about to install a "b" cam into my b230 and I would like to check the valve clearance afterwards. Once shoestring is kind enough to post the valve lift numbers with a "b" cam can I basically turn the motor until each valve is at its max height and then hope the lift is whatever number shoestrings puts into the chart under "MAX LIFT"?

Also, should I check the lift when those valve "husher" pieces are installed or when they are not?

Thanks for your help, everyone.
Fred Gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #40
shoestring
Board Member

The hushers will not affect the max lift figure. They will make shimming for clearance a little more difficult, I usually discard them. I did run a new set for a while with no perceptible difference in sound.

Yes, the "max lift" figure you would get should be extremely similar to the value I have listed. Please be reminded that the figure I have listed is "as installed". Valve events are measured off the lifter bucket, not on the cam.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #41
Fred Gwynne
Board Member

Quote:
The hushers will not affect the max lift figure. They will make shimming for clearance a little more difficult, I usually discard them. I did run a new set for a while with no perceptible difference in sound.

Yes, the "max lift" figure you would get should be extremely similar to the value I have listed. Please be reminded that the figure I have listed is "as installed". Valve events are measured off the lifter bucket, not on the cam.

Thanks very much.
Fred Gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:35 AM   #42
Lord Tentacle
Anime Lord

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure about 0.040" giving 4 degress retard. Years ago when I cut my first head I had read that this was the case and measured to confirm. If you go more, it may not be a linear value, but at least at this point it's accurate.
Outside diameter of the cam pulley is just over 4.46" so I'll use the smaller value of 4.46 which makes this worse...

4.46 times Pi is 14.01 which is the outside circumference of the pulley
So each * of wheel is 14.01/360 or .039"
When you bring the head down it shortens the distance from the head to the intermediate shaft by a distance
there is a slight change of angle as well which reduces the actual amount of loss of timing because the angle is increasing

End result is your math is wrong
As above... Laws of math and physics say .040" == 1* at most
Tentacle Wagon-91 940; stuff including paddles and Holset etc... powered by Corn
Tentacle SUV 12 xc90; stuff including v8 and towbar etc... Powered by Beetroot

recently crushed Volvo's
1990 244, 99 v70 t5, 98 v70 t5, 2002 s80 t6, 98 940s
Lord Tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #43
shoestring
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tentacle View Post
Outside diameter of the cam pulley is just over 4.46" so I'll use the smaller value of 4.46 which makes this worse...

4.46 times Pi is 14.01 which is the outside circumference of the pulley
So each * of wheel is 14.01/360 or .039"
When you bring the head down it shortens the distance from the head to the intermediate shaft by a distance
there is a slight change of angle as well which reduces the actual amount of loss of timing because the angle is increasing

End result is your math is wrong
As above... Laws of math and physics say .040" == 1* at most
I sincerely appreciate being challenged, it makes me go back and check my work.

This was a measurement I took that looked to confirm the rumored 1° retard per 0.010" of head milling, which I found to be as accurate as I could using my $25 Summit degree wheel. It was not, on my part, a calculation. Two things you may be missing is that decking the head shortens the belt on both the leading and trailing halves, so you need to double the value you cut the head. Additionally, the relative measurement is with regard to CRANK position, not cam position, and the circumference of the crank gear should be half that of the cam gear. If you work that math, the 4° is about correct.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #44
leinex
Board Member

Default D Cam Experiance

Hi Guys

I've tested the D cam from a marine penta engine in my turbo setup with different turbos ( mainly Holset HX40 / HX35 / China Clone HX40).
I can say this cam i a beast in the middle and higher RPM range a bit sluggish in on the low RPM's - preffered for manual trans i think.
maybe 4-5 degree retard was benefitial - otherwise stock engine with 531 head with cleaned ports.
So when you can catch a D cam - go for it!!!

Cheers
leinex
leinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #45
klr142
Turbo, what?

Very cool thread, thank you for your time! I haven't looked at anything yet, other than to read through the posts.

On the topic of retarded cam timing with shaved heads, all I can say is that on my motor(when shaved .040" and with a .040" MLS gasket), my car ran like I expected it to with the cam timing straight up(any cam I tried, K, H, RSI Stage 1 NA and ENEM K13). I typically run cams 2-6° advanced to bring the powerband down for better around town use. If I have the cam gear set at 6° advanced, it totally kills the power above 5500-6000rpm. This suggests in my real world experience that the cam timing isn't as far off as one would think based off of what people say(.010"/1°). Or if it is, I like running camshafts retarded(but before the head work, I ran cams advanced a couple degrees with similar success as well, so..........).

Also, when suggesting that there is a cam timing issue with even more shaved heads, such as .080" off and using a belt that's a tooth shorter, why should I advance the camshaft a tooth to compensate and make the timing marks NOT line up. I wouldn't do that, a timing mark is still going to be right.

So, basically, in my experience, in the real world it doesn't make that much of a difference and if you are always shooting for the timing marks to be close to normal, it's fine. You can adjust the cam timing from there to suit your use and desired powerband, but it does NOT have to be set "x amount advanced" if you have "x amount shaved/thinner headgasket" to work "right". FWIW.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #46
shoestring
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
Very cool thread, thank you for your time! I haven't looked at anything yet, other than to read through the posts.

On the topic of retarded cam timing with shaved heads, all I can say is that on my motor(when shaved .040" and with a .040" MLS gasket), my car ran like I expected it to with the cam timing straight up(any cam I tried, K, H, RSI Stage 1 NA and ENEM K13). I typically run cams 2-6° advanced to bring the powerband down for better around town use. If I have the cam gear set at 6° advanced, it totally kills the power above 5500-6000rpm. This suggests in my real world experience that the cam timing isn't as far off as one would think based off of what people say(.010"/1°). Or if it is, I like running camshafts retarded(but before the head work, I ran cams advanced a couple degrees with similar success as well, so..........).

Also, when suggesting that there is a cam timing issue with even more shaved heads, such as .080" off and using a belt that's a tooth shorter, why should I advance the camshaft a tooth to compensate and make the timing marks NOT line up. I wouldn't do that, a timing mark is still going to be right.

So, basically, in my experience, in the real world it doesn't make that much of a difference and if you are always shooting for the timing marks to be close to normal, it's fine. You can adjust the cam timing from there to suit your use and desired powerband, but it does NOT have to be set "x amount advanced" if you have "x amount shaved/thinner headgasket" to work "right". FWIW.
Pretty much agree, and we've proven it on the dyno. With increased compression ratio, moving the cam around a little bit with regard to timing affects the power curve little. On a low comp engine, it probably has greater effect. Still not a lot, if I were to guess.

Anybody wanna volunteer me a cam to measure up? I'm ready for one or maybe two. And I haven't forgotten about the B I have, but after that my personal supply is exhausted.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #47
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Quote:
Pretty much agree, and we've proven it on the dyno. With increased compression ratio, moving the cam around a little bit with regard to timing affects the power curve little. On a low comp engine, it probably has greater effect. Still not a lot, if I were to guess.

Anybody wanna volunteer me a cam to measure up? I'm ready for one or maybe two. And I haven't forgotten about the B I have, but after that my personal supply is exhausted.
I have a mystery cam if you're interested. Pulled it out of a junked 740 turbo. It's definitely aftermarket, but there are no markings to indicate what it is or where it came from.

Instagram: @itstotesdenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Nothing's black magic. Basics to moderate power levels are cake, period. Start off rich and retarded, like your president.
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #48
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDenny View Post
I have a mystery cam if you're interested. Pulled it out of a junked 740 turbo. It's definitely aftermarket, but there are no markings to indicate what it is or where it came from.
Nothing, what so ever on the back of the cam where everyone in their right mind at least scratches something into it? Pictures?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:44 PM   #49
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
Nothing, what so ever on the back of the cam where everyone in their right mind at least scratches something into it? Pictures?
There is a thread on it with some pictures.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=325881
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:39 PM   #50
klr142
Turbo, what?

Crazy! Send it in for measuring.