• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Will it stop?

Smitty289

I'm currently in the process of a V8 (350 chevy) swap in my 88 740. I was just wondering if there is a need to upgrade the brakes or is there enough stopping power already for the increased weight. If so could someone please point me in the right direction.

That's a very good point most chevs don't have the same quality as volvo. The engine came from an old ambulance though and from what i have read it weighs twice as much as the original redblock. Better pads and lines sounds like a "quick and easy" solution just wasn't sure if it would be enough.

answers so far= fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap

this is not a reasonable answer to his question..
im sure the next thing he will be told is to spend a few thousand on brembo big brake upgrades and how much money do you have and how fast do you want to stop? Sometimes people cant just go buy the BEST of EVERYTHING , cost is always a factor and there is nothing wrong with helping out what you already have instead of scrapping it all and starting with a limitless budget

whats wrong with keeping it simple like good pads and braided lines, after all that IS why they make them. I didnt even mention slotted rotors

answers so far= fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap
Just as much detail as was provided in the question. 350 Chevys ranged from 150 ~ 1500 HP.
drive styles from mild to wild. possible max speed and load vary just as much...

That's a very good point most chevs don't have the same quality as volvo. The engine came from an old ambulance though and from what i have read it weighs twice as much as the original redblock. Better pads and lines sounds like a "quick and easy" solution just wasn't sure if it would be enough.
I'd say the quality was just as good, but the engineering was a lot less evolved in the 60s...

Even if you did double the engine weight which is unlikely, a 740 has like 900 lb cargo capacity in normal daily driving. Still, many going crazy with their cars feel the OEM brakes are not enough for their use,and even Volvo did evolve toward bigger brakes as time went on.

Yes. The car will have a bit more weight, and significantly more power. If better pads are available for stock calipers (no idea on the other Volvos, I know there's NOTHING available for the junk brakes of my 960), then thats always a good place to start.

You are adding what, 200 pounds?

I would hope that the car was designed for max weight and carrying capacity ,

You are not the 1st to add a SBC/SBF to their Volvo and keep stock brakes.....how many stories have you read of people blowing thru intersections due to not having upgraded brakes?

im sure the next thing he will be told is to spend a few thousand on brembo big brake upgrades and how much money do you have and how fast do you want to stop? Sometimes people cant just go buy the BEST of EVERYTHING , cost is always a factor and there is nothing wrong with helping out what you already have instead of scrapping it all and starting with a limitless budget

whats wrong with keeping it simple like good pads and braided lines, after all that IS why they make them. I didnt even mention slotted rotors

Braided stainless covered lines won't do $h!t except replace 20-30 year old rubber lines.

im sure the next thing he will be told is to spend a few thousand on brembo big brake upgrades

One day you will understand that many questions posed are not questions at all but a ritualised plea for affirmation.

I have no intention of answering the quy's question. It was a simple observation of the cliched responses given...
And no, certainly I will not be recommending any Brembo kit for a few thousand dollars.....not when I make a nice brake kit for 240s that is under $800.

So, 2 for 2 wrong. So Sorry!:-(

SS brake lines are great as said because they are replacing 20 year old lines, Sure the stock brakes should stop the car without much effort, good pads and rotors will help for sure.

But who's to say that with some extra weight and power added a good upgrade would not be some 91+ Jumbo brakes off a 940, or maybe even read some threads here about the 850/s70 brakes that nearly bolt up and have much larger rotors all for the price of New OEM pads and rotors (or aftermarket brands) and you get a cheap brake upgrade that will help aid you in stopping a car that will drive around with a bit more weight and power than stock.

Just as much detail as was provided in the question. 350 Chevys ranged from 150 ~ 1500 HP. drive styles from mild to wild. possible max speed and load vary just as much...

I agree the question was vague. The engine is being rebuilt from the ground up and the aim is around 300hp. as for driving style, max speed and load it wont see any track time or outlandish speeds but it wont be no grocery getter either. Just average speeds and maybe some fat friends.

But who's to say that with some extra weight and power added a good upgrade would not be some 91+ Jumbo brakes off a 940, or maybe even read some threads here about the 850/s70 brakes that nearly bolt up and have much larger rotors all for the price of New OEM pads and rotors (or aftermarket brands) and you get a cheap brake upgrade that will help aid you in stopping a car that will drive around with a bit more weight and power than stock.

very good point point, but ive looked and couldnt find much. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but could anyone link a good thread on this topic?

:D

Brett should do a copyrighte on these if he ever gets his shop online...

Willet Spool?! Turbo Kits

Willet Stop?! BigBrake Kits

Willet Blind?! HID Kits

Willet Peel?! SWAG Stickers

:D

One day you will understand that many questions posed are not questions at all but a ritualised plea for affirmation.

I have no intention of answering the quy's question. It was a simple observation of the cliched responses given...
And no, certainly I will not be recommending any Brembo kit for a few thousand dollars.....not when I make a nice brake kit for 240s that is under $800.

So, 2 for 2 wrong. So Sorry!:-(

so what you are saying is you like to reply to post and offer no help, suggestions or insight only to hear the clicking of your keyboard..what ever happened to answering a question that was posted with out being a di*k?

and YES braided lined reduce brake fade, that is why people use them and that is why ipd sells them, thats why i have a set.

Back