• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

squirter block "L" designation questions

sc0terdad

please pardon me if I am stupid,
I have heard that although it is commonly accepted that the squirter motor redblocks came from 93+ there are some 92 blocks that have the "L" marking on some places including the timing cover label.

again excuse me if I am wrong but I believe I saw somewhere that the "L" signifies that the motor has the oil piston squirters.

getting to the point, I am looking to buy an engine from some someone who has two 92 b230f redblocks and they said the timing cover label had been removed or worn away.

is there any way that I would be able to discern weather or not it is a squirter motor or not before purchase and not taking the engine apart?

thanks very much.

A good basic check is if the engine has the round tooth timing belt setup. All the squirter blocks I've seen have an L and use the round tooth timing belt. Take the top timing cover off and look at the sprockets.

Also some 92 manufactured blocks will have the L and squirters as the 93 model year started in Sept 92.

In the end, it doesn't really matter because oil squirters are not the holy grail and totally 100% necessary for what many people seem to believe they are for.

Many, many high horsepower engines do not have squirters and never had any problem

In the end, it doesn't really matter because oil squirters are not the holy grail and totally 100% necessary for what many people seem to believe they are for.

Many, many high horsepower engines do not have squirters and never had any problem

But it helps keep the pistons from clackin and slappin.

A good basic check is if the engine has the round tooth timing belt setup. All the squirter blocks I've seen have an L and use the round tooth timing belt. Take the top timing cover off and look at the sprockets.

Also some 92 manufactured blocks will have the L and squirters as the 93 model year started in Sept 92.

Leave it to Volvo to violate that "rule". I had a 1993 940 wagon with the original engine in it that turned out to have round tooth pulleys and a non-squirter lower end. Volvo uses up what they have on hand. I have no doubt about that.

The best way is to pull the oil pan and check - which isn't too hard or time-consuming (as long as you have a cherry picker and/or an engine stand).

Are you going to rebuild this engine or just throw it in and +T it? A 92 engine is 30 years old at this point. I would be concerned that it has been damaged from being run with a blown head gasket or the bores are worn too much. You can always have the engine and head surfaces cleaned up and throw some new sleeves in it. Add some H-Rods while you are at it, they are cheap.

Are you going to rebuild this engine or just throw it in and +T it? A 92 engine is 30 years old at this point. I would be concerned that it has been damaged from being run with a blown head gasket or the bores are worn too much. You can always have the engine and head surfaces cleaned up and throw some new sleeves in it. Add some H-Rods while you are at it, they are cheap.

honestly I hadn't considered it much, I figured that I would have just thrown it in and done a +t because I figured that my power goals were mild enough to get away with an unopened motor (250-300whp)

Back