• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

front lower control arm rear bushings, same?

bartman1234

Hi couldn't find the answer for my clunk in the front during low speed turning, but I read where left side rear bushing is different from right. I read that this is because there is greater pressure on the drivers side?:help

Frustrating, I have checked the cross member bolts for tight (100lbs) checked the steering rack for tight (torqued to spec) checked the gland nut (Bilstien HD) could not get to move (couple threads showing).
New ball joints,ipd sways, ipd front bushing kit 125381, did not replace strut bearing as they did not seem worn. This is a turn the wheel almost full lock and pop or clunk, sometimes also reversing over bump. Any other things? I'm trying to figure without going to the shop.

I'm in the EXACT same boat (minus new bushings). Upper mounts checked OK. Only difference here is that my rack is on the way out, both bellows full of P/S oil. Have you checked that?

Buddy suggests I've got the wrong bolt in the bushing as it is not Volvo just a 12mm with washer/washer and nylock. He suggests manufactures sometime differ in size???

I do not have any leaking and reservoir stays the same so Im pretty sure not the problem. I was just reading another thread and someone claimed the 2 rear bushings L and R were different volvo part #s.

Early 200 series cars did use different bushings left & right, but were updated to the same bushing.

200ControlArmBushing.jpg

Try tightening the 3 bolts that hold the rear bushing bracket to the frame. The bracket can shift under high loads and cause a clunking noise.

Frustrating, I have checked the cross member bolts for tight (100lbs) checked the steering rack for tight (torqued to spec) checked the gland nut (Bilstien HD) could not get to move (couple threads showing).
New ball joints,ipd sways, ipd front bushing kit 125381, did not replace strut bearing as they did not seem worn. This is a turn the wheel almost full lock and pop or clunk, sometimes also reversing over bump. Any other things? I'm trying to figure without going to the shop.
Stock springs?

Top hat could be binding up and when you turn causing the spring and top hat to pop as they move on each other. Worth checking if you are out of ideas.

:nod:
I mentioned this in his other thread. Glad someone else agrees.

I agree with you guys agreement. I just did a front end job on my friends 1990 wagon and his does this when backing up turning the wheel. Otherwise quiet. we chalked it up to the spring and seat popping as described. Not gonna worry about it.

I agree with you guys agreement. I just did a front end job on my friends 1990 wagon and his does this when backing up turning the wheel. Otherwise quiet. we chalked it up to the spring and seat popping as described. Not gonna worry about it.

I think I read that there is a proper orientation to the springs. Could the incorrect orientation cause popping?

Stock springs?

Top hat could be binding up and when you turn causing the spring and top hat to pop as they move on each other. Worth checking if you are out of ideas.

Very common issue. That would be what I would suspect first considering all the work you just did. My 940 does it all the time. It is annoying as heck. Aftermarket replacement strut mounts on that car. I have a feeling the bearings on those are low quality.

Very common issue. That would be what I would suspect first considering all the work you just did. My 940 does it all the time. It is annoying as heck. Aftermarket replacement strut mounts on that car. I have a feeling the bearings on those are low quality.

Do 240s do it as well? The described situations and noises sound very similar to what I've had since I bought the thing. Always figured it was something like that.

Late comment:

My suspension popping turned out to be a failing lower rear bushing even though it was a new Turkey/India/RockAuto/et. al. bushing. Couldn't be felt by hand up/down/left/right but when removed it was obvious that the rubber/sleeve was in the process of separation.

Two pro shops had not identified the problem.

Back