• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tranny options

90volvo

Just pulled M47; It had a weird noise, a grinding in first and second. Thought it was a throwout bearing but it but it was good. . Backing up here.

I repaired (M47) reverse gear about a month ago. After I repaired it, I reinstalled it and it performed great but developed and grinding noise going down the road. Just in first 2 gears; at a certain RPM. The tranny shifts great. I popped the cover off of it tonight but all seems good. Now Im stumped. Pilot bearing good. Carrier bearing good.

I dont want to put this tranny back in. So heres my options. I have a good m46 with everything I need to install it but it has 250000 miles on it. When I changed the fluid, it came out black. But the tranny seems solid.

Next option, I have a auto. with less than 100000 miles on it. Works great, shifts a little hard but seems solid. I have everything to make the swap. But?????

Just looking for advice.

Hey, I figured out the grinding noise. It is the stupid carrier bearing. When I spun it under the car it seemed fine. Last night I pulled the driveshaft off and got it on my bench, pulled the rubber off of it. Then gave the bearing a whirl, first time seemed fine. But 2 or 3rd time it made a grinding noise. So M47 is going back in. Thanks for the help everybody.

What threw you off was that it was only in the first two gears. You would expect a bad carrier brg to complain in any gear.

Back