• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Dash and running lights come on when I step on my brake pedal

noexit

Here's a weird one:

When my car is off and lights shut off and I step on the brake pedal, my dash lights and exterior running lights come on. Obviously there's a short somewhere.

My bulb failure indicator doesn't seem to work. Could this be a symptom of the bulb failure sensor, or should I start tracing wires?

Bad ground somewhere

Yes. The usual place for this failure is in one of the two lamp sockets for the brake lamps. Usual, not weird at all.

To verify, pull the dual filament lamp socket on the left side, and repeat the test. If it still lights up the dash lamps and running lamps, pull the right side and repeat.

When you put them both back, it will probably work correctly, as you've disturbed the poor connection, but the trouble is likely the contact between the shell of the bulb and the socket, or the socket and the lamp housing (circuit board if 244, metal strip if 245). Re-tension the spring contacts and clean.

Back