• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

still sloppy shifter

90volvo

Volvo 240 with M47. I bought the STS bronze bushing kit for the shifter. I installed it all today and it helped but still seems pretty sloppy.,in gear I can move the shifter 2-2.5 inches left to right. Parts are installed correctly so Im wondering where the slop is and thought somebody here been down this road before. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
If the whole cage is moving, then it's the bushings (#2). If there's slop in the handle itself, then it's probably worn pins (#9) and/or coupler (#7).

GR-57645.jpg

the cage isnt moving. I didnt think about 9 and 7. Wonder if you can still buy them new? Will do some digging, thank you for the diagram.

I freshened up a shifter nicely by swapping out those and other parts. #9 (pins) is available new. Tasca has them. Part number, 381528. If you replace those pins you may as well replace the o-ring that's tucked in there (part number is either 1232595 OR 947113).

And take a couple minutes and polish the shifter ball and that big pin (#6). Some 800 > 1000 grit sandpaper works nicely to make them nice and smooth.

Last edited:
Yeah the slop is usually in the shift rod connection at the trans aka 9 and 7 in that pic. Replacements still could be sloppy even if you could find them. I recall one guy coming up with a solution many years ago, but I forgot how he missed them to reduce the clearances. I think it was with welding and maybe a re-drill.

I dont believe there are any o-rings on my shifter or the linkage ball. Wouldnt an autoparts store have one if I knew the sizes? I found some pins online but I might have some laying around will measure.

I dont believe there are any o-rings on my shifter or the linkage ball. Wouldnt an autoparts store have one if I knew the sizes? I found some pins online but I might have some laying around will measure.

"OldSchool" has a point. They seemed like just o-rings to me too so I picked up a box of o-rings of various sizes for future projects. Of course that was after I spent about $5.00 on them (including shipping) not having this info. :)

I'm having the same issue with mine. How hard is it to do all that? Guessing it's a trans-drop maneuver?

MIGHT get lucky unbolting the trans cross member and tilt the trans down using a type of jack, of course.

And on a 7 or a 9 pull the dist first so it doesn't go crunch. Done it. On a 240 a block of wood back there so you don't dent the firewall.
And watch the fan on the shroud. It may hit. I have busted a fan or shroud before like that.

Last edited:
Back