• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b230 engine into a BMW

Well, i was looking at a web site the other day and cams reground where cheep from sweden, they where like ?100+postage, so i could get any motor then?

190 nm, sorry i should have reolised it wasnt lb/ft, thats about 140 lb/ft, thats not bad at all...

I dont know what my m42 has now, but im sure its no where near!

thankyou for the replies.

A B230F with the 531/VX package has 136hp stock with LH 2,2 and is the most powerful N/A 8v B230 that I know of. They aren't too common though.

D.e the link i posted to the bellhousing adapter in my first link, could you please look for me and tell me which adapter i need as im a little unsure as its in swedish! I have a 5 speed E36 gear box. DOes it say what you do about the clutch too?

thankyou mate!

Avsett f?r Volvo r?d motor, Till BMW getrag v?xell?da (fr?n BMW:s lilla 6cyl-motorer, 320 etc E30 83-93.). Finns till lutande Volvomotor. Endel jobb f?r att montera denna ex: ing?ende axel blir f?r kort , styrning m?ste d? svarvas ber, p? koppling s? kan ev splinesen bli f?r korta till lamellen
Tjocklek: 10mm Passar ?ven E36 om man borrar tre st h?l l?ngst ner p? adaptern

This is my translation:

Meant for Volvo redblock. For BMW Getrag gearbox (BMW:s small 6cyl-engines, 320 etc E30 83-93). For slanted Volvo engine. Some job involved in mounting this, for example: input shaft will be too short, guide will then have to be milled. Depending on what clutch you use, the splines could be too short for the clutch disc.
Thickness: 10mm, fits E36 too if you drill three holes in the bottom of the adapter plate.

I hope that helps. :)

thanks mate, i was kinda expecting all of those problems. Now i know what i want, ill try to go shopping in the next few weeks and let you all know how i got on!

thanks!

use m90 gearbox for redblock. is 100x easier and cheaper. and fits to bmw driveshaft with 96mm bolt pattern. just find the right length at scrapyard or change the length yourself (cutting welding)

Aren't the oil sumps in different locations? The Volvo b230 uses a rear sump and I think the BMW uses a front mounted sump. I know my M10 in my 2002 has a front mounted sump. Better check that out.

Aren't the oil sumps in different locations? The Volvo b230 uses a rear sump and I think the BMW uses a front mounted sump. I know my M10 in my 2002 has a front mounted sump. Better check that out.

e36 is rear sump, I remember having to change the oil pan when i helped my brother put an e36 engine in his e30 318.

Swap the B230 in a fuel injected Volvo 360. Quite a light car. They are extremely cheap in the UK.
L-jet will cope with the bigger displacement B230.

A few simple mods can make it handle very well.
- new oil in shocks
- poly
- 240/740 rear springs in the front
- lots of neg. camber -2.5 at least.
- lighten the front move the battery to the back
- fit a Volvo 340 1.4 diff.

If you can get a B230FB/B230E/B23E and maybe find a K cam or a FS122 and swap this in a V360 the car will certainly surprise you.

You should be able to do the suspension mods for 100GBP. Engines are usually quite cheap in the UK so maybe another 100GBP, K cam 50GBP, differential from a 1.4 25GBP.
Leaves you with 225GBP for things I've forgotten. Clutch, stage 0, brakes etc.

They are very cheap to run. Especially when living in the UK. Ebay.co.uk can help you with most of the replacement parts.

Volvo300mania.com and 300power.com is your friend.

Last edited:
Nice rally car! The cool kids here in the US who are into RWD rally cars are moving to the 318 ti and e36 m3. The motors seem to be not quite tough enough for full dirtbag rally usage.

I think the volvo motor would be great in there, try to figure out a FI with the highest rev limit, most of the stock ones are kind of low. What are the classes like there? Could you do a turbo motor?

Why not a BMW I6? I'm putting an M52 into my E36 compact, and it's a bolt-in process, makes 200 whp in stock form, and has piles of torque. And they're cheap, can be had with harness/ecu, fully dressed ready-to-go for ~$600. There are bolt-on turbo kits out there for the I6's as well if you need even more torque (or the Eurosport Twinscrew :))

b230f, lightly ported head(maybe shaved), hot cam, no idea about the carb thing, but maybe megasquirt for wasted/cop spark :e-shrug: although i guess all lh needs is rpm for spark.... maybe an old kjet setup. i also saw someone with a cheap chinabay turbo header as the NA exhaust(since it actually ends at the firewall like NA - it seems to be a good idea). short rear end. decent trans.

should be a pretty stout setup. towery did like 120wheel with a stock motor and k cam, and that car was pretty quick(not sure about the 1/4 mile times but it beat a lot of turbo cars being driven poorly), and drifted like a champ

and 8 years later it looks like this...

39686757_10157317427963132_887625536556236800_n.jpg

b230a , 2.3 286 cam [i think it was] standard pistons, 11:1, 46-38 valves, solid lifters, ported head, standard inlet, slightly ported cast exhaust, bmw ps pump, and cerentine belt, bmw m44 engine management, is200 6 speed box and a 2 1/4 exhaust.

Its finally in there, just thought id put that pic up ! I know its not the most modded motor on here, but its how i wantedd my car for a long time. No idea what the power will be, but at 2.3 over teh bmw was 2.0 should pull realyl well.

its a rally car and the rules say i have to stay with the standard injection maifold, or i can go for a twin choke which i may do later on.

Please update your build thread with pictures. I am intrigued by this e36.

i presume you mean this thread mate?

the bmw is at work and im off for a week, so i cant post many pics of it.

it is as follows,

bmw e36 compact, b230a engine, 44/38 valves, 298 degrees cam lift 11.5mm, solid lifters, vernier, ported 530 head, standard bottom end, all rebuilt with new rings etc. BMW m52 front pulley, cerpentine belt, m44 ps pump and mount machined to fit the volvo block. LH2.4, volvo 850 injectors, microsquirt ecu all wired by myself. cast manifold, 50mm down pipes into 2.5" exhaust. lighened standard flywheel with is200 clutch and 6 speed gearbox.

atm it went to the rolling road and made 140 bhp and 150 lbs, its not right. so i ve taken the head off and found the chambers to measure 57.5cc. when rae did the valves he said the shims i suplied where a bit short so he had the valves sank into the head a bit more. I think this is why its low compression. Head measures 145.8mm so its had a little bit of a skim . I think he should have measured the chambers but he did ask me what compression it was as standard and i said 11:1, i read somewhere wrong.

so tomorrow its going to have 1mm shaved from the head, and ill measure it all again. I think with a cometic head gasket the compression will be around 11:1 then, and it should make a lot more power.

Back