• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1 step forward 2 steps back

itsacrazyasian

Finally finished my 5 speed m47 swap and the almost new na clutch slips at higher boost.

Assembled my daughter board in preparation for chipping and now my car doesnt start with my oem ezk even with the jumpers in the correct position, tried both positions. Rechecked all my joints with a meter and everything looks good. Tossed a n/a ezk in my car in the meantime to get it to run.

Seriously just bummed right now, was looking forward to running the ovlov around for a little bit but i cant believe how weak the clutch is. gonna crawl back under it and make sure the clutch released all the way but it feels like it did.

im just mad about the ezk. i dont know what went wrong there. im trying to be patient and try plugging in a chip and seeing if the car starts then before i desolder the daugther board. Part of me wants to try it in my spare na ezk. The other part of me wants to remove the board, try and repair leave the ignition chip out and just run the fuel chip.

The stock dog dish turbo clutch kits made by sachs where 350 buxs back when you could get them so buying a 100 dollar cheapo NA clutch kit yeah that ain't gonna cut it.. It's the pressure plate. Not enough pressure.

i didn't buy the na clutch for it. robbed it out of the donor car but it was almost new, infact every clutch component was nearly new from the master to the slave. gonna start shopping for a turbo clutch. is it worth just tossing the turbo clutch kit in or should i do something else?

So I have this discussion an awful lot with the Evo guys and it would seem to be relevant here.

While everyone is correct... you need more pressure to be able to hold the power. You need to consider what you're about to do.

The M47's aren't known to be able to handle much abuse. If you increase the holding capacity of one component (the clutch system in this case) that stress has to be passed further down the driveline.

So I have this discussion an awful lot with the Evo guys and it would seem to be relevant here.

While everyone is correct... you need more pressure to be able to hold the power. You need to consider what you're about to do.

The M47's aren't known to be able to handle much abuse. If you increase the holding capacity of one component (the clutch system in this case) that stress has to be passed further down the driveline.

I'm with you on this, maybe turn down the boost until the clutch doesn't slip and save the trans. The slip is a good thing most likely.

indeed the m47 is weak. Seeing what a few other guys make on their cars and their m47 (guy i bought my hitch off of on the florida volvo club) gives me hope. If not i do have a t5 sitting in the shed.

I didnt think the stock n/a clutch would slip at 8psi though. Starting to think about putting the autotradgic back in.

Still more annoyed about the ezk than anything else.

If you already have a T5 ready to go, your wisest investment would be getting a flywheel drilled for a 228PP and ordering said 228PP along with a clutch disc for the M47 and when you finally blow that up, one for the T5.

I was once in your shoes debating endlessly about putting the M47 in before the T5 just to get out of auto... I ultimately decided that the M47 failures were a lot more random luck (for good cause since most are 200k into their lives) than driver related... so I just went straight to the T5.

Of course... then our house flooded and I haven't been able to install it yet lol.

Heh, same thing happened to me when I first did my M47 swap. Initial plan - get the manual trans in. Nice N/A clutch in perfect condition. It slipped at about 10 - 12 psi, more or less.

So I put a stronger clutch in, no more slip! Then after about 2 or 3 months third gear on the M47 blew up.

The M47 is a little stronger than the stock clutch, but not by a whole lot.

Make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly and you're getting all the clamp that's possible?

As with everyone else that complains about brand new clutches slipping--- Did you break in the clutch? 500-1,000 easy miles of driving ? Or dive right in to full boost launches?

If a used clutch did the flywheel get surfaced, or at least scuffed up a bit?

My stock na 8.5" clutch will hold 12ish psi on a slightly lighter 242 with no issues. A good pressure plate and disc wiped out two M47s for me while the original M45 has been holding up for years.

I honestly expected it to hold up to about 10psi. Thats what my na 240 held up to back in the day without much complaint. Clutch and flywheel were used but broken in together. Flywheel surface still had machining marks in it and wasn't glazed one bit. the m47 i yanked look great inside, the origional fluid looked slightly amber, very very little debris on the drain plug. Car had less then 100K on it when i snagged it. First time i saw a "tourist diplomat sales" decal in the window. Car really was an oddball.

There isn't any adjustment on the clutch really since its hydro. But its not getting hung up or slightly depressed when it slips. I'm gonna baby it for a while and stuff a turbo clutch disc and pressure plate in and see how it goes. This will atleast give me time to gather the t5 stuff up, unless i say to hell with it and go back auto which seems to be able to handle the power without much fuss.

Any ideas on the EZK?

I used an NA clutch on a flat flywheel ( so like a 1980 244 clutch) @ 15psi (13c, IPD turbo cam, b230ft) for years. I only killed the clutch after a bunch of clutch kicking it around some big sweeper, up hill, with 3 full sized adults in the car, and a 150lb toolbox in the trunk.
I then drove the car for about a year with it slipping under full boost in 4th and OD. The fix was tossing in a used 6-puck disk on the unsurfaced flywheel and then adding more boost.

I honestly expected it to hold up to about 10psi. Thats what my na 240 held up to back in the day without much complaint. Clutch and flywheel were used but broken in together. Flywheel surface still had machining marks in it and wasn't glazed one bit. the m47 i yanked look great inside, the origional fluid looked slightly amber, very very little debris on the drain plug. Car had less then 100K on it when i snagged it. First time i saw a "tourist diplomat sales" decal in the window. Car really was an oddball.

There isn't any adjustment on the clutch really since its hydro. But its not getting hung up or slightly depressed when it slips. I'm gonna baby it for a while and stuff a turbo clutch disc and pressure plate in and see how it goes. This will atleast give me time to gather the t5 stuff up, unless i say to hell with it and go back auto which seems to be able to handle the power without much fuss.

Any ideas on the EZK?

There are extremely simple alternatives available for getting clutches that will hold in 4 steps good for over 400 ft/lbs.... It is BS that nobody has mentioned any...

Back