home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #26
DavidSamuels
K-Jet-Free Zone

Ooop. Guess I need to watch Ben's site more closely. Cheaper option. Off I go.... Thanks.
DavidSamuels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #27
dl242gt
Can play the blues

There is a board member that was selling a strut plate that helps reinforce the rubber area. I think it was DET17 but I am not sure. It was a while ago that I bought them. Don't know if he still makes them but it is another choice for helping these things last longer.
1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear adjustable suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" rusty MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+. D&F Performance flowed 405 with enem V15 turbo cam, Clanky worn True Track diff. Flat hood 1979 242 front.

1993 245 Classic, 411k miles, enem V15. 5spd. IPD bars and chassis braces. New Simons sport exhaust from Scandix.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #28
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

15A

240 Upper Strut Mount Reinforcement Plates - ROUND FIVE

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #29
DavidSamuels
K-Jet-Free Zone

Yep. Sadly, the studs on the mounts are not long enough to get through a strut brace and various fasteners when one uses Chris's plates, though longer ones can be installed. It is a documented good solution.

I just ordered a set of Ben's "entry level" upper mounts. I trust his engineering completely, and his quality, and he's a pleasure to work with in general. Will report back after installation (whenever that happens--).
Old 05-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #30
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

Forgive my ignorance, but how is a reinforcing plate that has a large hole in it that appears to be roughly the same diameter as the rubber in stock strut mounts reinforce them? I can see how they would help the sheetmetal the strut tower is made of, but I suspect their effect on the rubber portion of the mount is negligible.

Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #31
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

If you look at 15A's photos you'll see that the plates have significantly smaller holes and cover basically everything except the bearing itself. I have a set waiting for my Soon(tm) suspension overhaul...
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #32
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Default fixed my mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Thank you Ken for correcting me. I like those plates very much and will be putting mine on soon with good used original mounts.On the 93 wagon.

Last edited by dl242gt; 05-08-2017 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: more info
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #33
John242Ti
manofewords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrrck View Post
If you look at 15A's photos you'll see that the plates have significantly smaller holes and cover basically everything except the bearing itself. I have a set waiting for my Soon(tm) suspension overhaul...
And, if you PM Chris with interest in getting some plates, there *might* be a round six.

-J

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1984.5 (more like 1985 now) 245Ti - blue, M46. 1992 245 - white, Aw70.
Formerly Blue245Ti, 245GT-Turbo, and, originally 242GT-Ti.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #34
MDVLN
Kapitän Klugscheißer

Ask and ye shall receive.
MDVLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #35
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrrck View Post
Wouldn't they also have to cover part of the bearing? The problem I had with the last set of craptastic OE Volvo ones were that the rubber immediately started separating from the steel shell that is in the center of the mount. Would the reinforcing plates have prevented this type of separation?

Mind you that these had ZERO miles on them. They were installed and the car was pushed out in front of the shop while I waited for a parts order. Three weeks later when I got back around to doing the other work on the car, I noticed that the mounts were cracking. Again, 0 miles on the car. I raised enough Hell at the dealership that they gave me a refund. They originally started with the "We'll be happy to warranty them" line of BS but changed their tune. Why would I want another set of this junk?

Last edited by Wren; 05-09-2017 at 09:38 AM..
Old 05-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #36
Harry Tuttle
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
Wouldn't they also have to cover part of the bearing?

The extent of this problem seems to be changing fast. The plates that Chris sells severely reduce the amount that the rubber is allowed to flex, which would inhibit the rubber from peeling off of the brg housing. This used to be enough to extend their life quite a bit.

It appears that with the mounts such as you and others are getting, it may be necessary to put the plates on at the same time that the mounts are installed in order to get any real benefit from them. Solid metal strut mounts are looking pretty good to me, these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs
who cares, push start it if you have a man tranny.
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #37
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

Agreed. When one buys Volvo mounts at $160 for the pair and then adds in the $45 or so for reinforcing plates, it's cheaper to buy Ben's, which is what I did.
Of course, it may be possible to buy cheaper aftermarket mounts and use the reinforcing plates, but if they fail, then what? I'm not keen on doing multiple mount replacements on a car to get a combination that works.
I wouldn't risk buying another set of Volvo OE and will be buying Ben's in the future.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #38
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

I'm currently saving for Ben's product. Would hate to go through the process of new inserts/shocks, springs, mounts and then turn around and have to replace the mounts in a couple years(if I'm lucky). You know; measure twice, cut once?

#mclovethesenuts
-My car: White 1991 244, 305k miles. B230F LH2.4, AW71, R134a retro. Thrush glasspack, anthracite refinished Coronas
-Wife's car: White 1990 244DL, 150k miles.B230F LH2.4, AW70 w/aux cooler, dead R12, purple refinished Virgos, tow hitch, ipd wagon overload springs.
-Work in Progress: Silver 2002 Subaru WRX wagon, 120k miles, Perrin TBE, Perrin turbo inlet, intake, and Y-pipe, GrimmSpeed cross pipe.
Rebuilding EJ207 shortblock to swap in this summer.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #39
DavidSamuels
K-Jet-Free Zone

Got my Ben's mounts in. He sent me some pictures describing the various mounting positions, but with my stock diameter (sport) springs only position one will work. Initially I thought this meant positive camber, but he assures me not. The workmanship is beyond excellent, which I've always been told is the case with his stuff--not disappointed. Not that I haven't done about 500 sets of struts, but looking at these, and even with Ben's input, I'm going to have to fiddle with them a bit before I'm comfortable that I'm putting them in the right way! Cannot wait to have my car's front end not banging--hopefully later today. Really nice stuff.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #40
DavidSamuels
K-Jet-Free Zone

Kudo's to Ben for his customer service, sticking with me through this messy installation, even answering on Sunday. Sadly these mounts won't work for me. Even after swapping sides, my sport springs, which are admittedly thicker than stockers contact the inside back wall of the strut tower. Grinding the tower mounting surface or re-drilling the mounts might work, but not for me. These will be up for sale on the forum shortly! Thus, the solution search continues.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #41
James10952001
Board Member

Who makes the polyurethane bushings for IPD? Maybe a polyurethane strut mount would be a viable product. Seems it's mostly the rubber that is the issue with the current production.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #42
DavidSamuels
K-Jet-Free Zone

It's the attachment to the steel center that is as much a problem as the rubber itself. Gary and I are SuperPro dealers. I've already contacted them.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #43
James10952001
Board Member

Hopefully somebody can correct this. These are safety critical parts and being defective by design leaves the door wide open for a lawsuit, not to mention it's a tremendous pain in the ass for the end user. A part that fails to last even a year is completely unacceptable and I would consider 10 years the bare minimum for something as tricky to install and as critical as an upper strut mount. Failure of the rubber should also not allow the strut to punch through.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #44
kittysgreyvolvo
Board Member

Question 240 Upper Strut Mount Reinforcement Plates

On:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=315334

These new strut mounts will show separation of the bushing materials from the center bearing shell exterior. So, this fix may improve longevity.

Boge now makes strut mounts for 240? Really? Like Bog in Germany Boge? Or made in Mexico Sachs iPd and others pass off as Boge.

They used to as OEM. Big ball bearing center cup and the name BOGE stamped on the bushing material at the top near the outer edge.

SKF used to make these. No more. I'd looked at the Boge and the ZF catalogue. No such puppy in these catalogues. Unless I'm wrong. And if so, please post a link or something.

I would use the small center hole reinforcing plates, if yes, on a quality rubber strut mount?

Yet, and I'm sniffing a 1980 242 and another 1992 240 sedan with M47 II, so I'd also go with the Ben less expensive strut mount camper plates. Keep that bearing baby slather in SuperLube NLGI-II synthetic silicon grease! (I guess there is some sealing cap that keeps grease in and dirt out.

Do these and other 240 strut mount camber plates make a harsh ride for a DD in rough road land?

Yes, can we shame Volvo Cars AB as this is a super ultra safety issue. Like slapping on some Meyle or URO ball joints, and then, pop, at hopefully a low speed?

Shame on Volvo Cars AB, ooop, I mean Made in Chinese Junky Geely.

+++++1 with urethane as a strut mount, yet has to use the ball bearing center assembly open to the top.

Sealed bearings simply don't take the lateral stresses well as the little yellow Volvo 240 goes up and down, up and down, up and down as a daily driver. Them bearings never do.
RIP, yet beloved:
1975 244 DL (B20, M40)
1976 242 DL (B21, M46, Moonroof - an SRO?)
1979 245 DL (B21, M46)
1979 242 GT (B21, M46, Moonroof - an SRO? Grey Market from Holland)
Currently owned, beloved, operating, driven, if occasionally:
1990 240 (245) DL (B230, M47 II)
1991 240 (244) (B230, M47 II, Moonroof. Grey Market from Germany)
1992 240 (244) GL (B230, M47 II, L-jet 3.1, Moonroof)
kittysgreyvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote