• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Old Man Beige - '78 242DL "Larry"

David777

You may have seen my drift project KA24DE-T swapped 83 242 (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=240054), well here's the man behind the scenes: the car who went through rain and shine to bring engine blocks, rims and tires, and of course roll my big behind around everyday, Larry!

Bought him with the name already, $700 in March when my last FWD turbo failure of a car spun a rod bearing.

Bought him all stock, K-jet B21 ~215,000 miles (Odometer quit at 204K a year ago) single lip, high as a kite on modestly cut springs, single round headlights, MSW golds.

bi1pj7.jpg

2ij5ieb.jpg

As I bought my second 242, shortly after selling my '86 245, I started making changes to Larry, first the Recaro from an Evo 8 that's supposed to go in the drifter. I couldn't let it sit around while the car is getting worked on :-P

ajxojq.jpg

Then the headlights, JY find! :-D

16jhaag.jpg

Now the drifter could have single rounds (quads couldn't clear the front mount intercooler).

Soon after, I removed the gaudy grille, I didn't have a flathood grille for the quads, so I just cut back the coffin-style grille from my 83 turbo, and painted the whole front end flat black! Cut a coil in the front. Volvo strut tubes are just too big. Looking into Saab shocks, with cut tubes when I can afford coilover DIY kits... As low as it can go in the front with decent suspension travel.
And just for laughs, after painting my friend's '79 GT flat black with a flipped 86+ lip, we decided to zip-tie his extra old lip on Larry... giving us this!

ay21zk.jpg

Shortly after, I found a screamin deal on wheel bolt pattern adapters! So I installed some 15x8 jeep rims with a slightly stretched tires in the rear, and slightly rolled fenders. I say slightly because these fenders are nearly impossible to roll! I'm hunting down the 4th jeep rim now...

2vkly8k.jpg

Rubs on bumps, needs stiff springs!

b698b7.jpg

6ohezd.jpg

So I recently got my hands on some '69 Opel GT tails :))) So, naturally, wanting to do something different (evident by the Nissan swap).....(blackout inspired by Cameron)

16krj8.jpg

347w4dy.jpg

Watch them in action here: http://youtu.be/R5Rb_K00IFI

So that's where we are today.. More to come soon. As soon as the drifter is driving Larry will get a heart transplant, B230f+t, LH 2.2 or 2.4, haven't decided yet (wish I could afford MS 2.0)! Coilovers too!

Last edited:
Did you black out the surrounds of the GT tails as well? I really like the pic in the dark but not the other one where the rear fascia is beige and the surrounds chrome...

Did you black out the surrounds of the GT tails as well? I really like the pic in the dark but not the other one where the rear fascia is beige and the surrounds chrome...

Yup sure did, inspired by Cameron and his 78 blackout!

lol canyon rims look awesome find the right tires and im sure theyll tuck nicely

Thanks, Now that I know the name of the rim style I can find one easier. I almost had my hands on a 4th! Gotta be careful because they made some 15x7

Larry's getting a B230ft! Got one from Pick n Pull. Good cross-hatching, and an '89 LH 2.4 harness. But no flywheel sensor..? Is that a manual transmission thing only?

pictures:

oiwrqf.jpg

You can see the B21 with M45, and the B21ft behind it on the floor. Hoarder status :LOL:

29xbs7b.jpg

2cdkf9t.jpg

4uawdc.jpg

Two hours later... This is why I love Volvo!

xksllx.jpg

can you post a pic from the passenger side, with both jeep wheels in the shot? Sounds like a good look! You're making pretty short work of this brick, keep us updated!

Back