• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1977 260 B27e upgrades

LittleBandit

Hi Guys.
Id like to upgrade my B27e engine to have a little a more kick.
Basically im a newb when it comes to anything in the engine but ive done a few simple things like adding an audio system changing radiators n junk. So i want to start with whats infront of me and learn a bunch.

Ive read a lot about swaps and engines lately so ive heard that the b27e engines arent liked due to camshaft wear and a guy told me not to make it to sporty because the heads are sensitive. Then theres the aluminium block so dont run it cold. It also is a son of bitch to drive for like the first 1 - 2 k's as it just wants to stall when the revs are low.

Anyway...
I have been wanting to
Find a Manual gearbox. preferably the M46 from another 264
Move the battery to the boot and move the radiator overflow so i can use a commodore air filter box for cold air flow.
Have extractors made and fit a twin exhaust system.
Remove the AC compressor and other ac bits.

Any thoughts and comments about those mods and any extra ones to help improve the engine performace would be greatly appreciated. Apparently there is a John on here who has experience modding the V6's

Jake

Greetings Jake....

Yes.... Many things we can do to make them more exciting. Mild to wild. All it takes is a Quicker pulse rate and deep pockets to make one that is utterly sick.

A '77 B-27E you say.... K-Basic or K-Lambda? The E flavor engines have more exciting cams and more static compression... A good starting point.

You mention that it stalls cold.... Start with a good 'Stage Zero.' Verify that there are no vacuum leaks anywhere on the intake, around the injector seals ect... Fresh spark plugs... They are fond of Bosch H6DC. Set the valves.... When hot .004" on the intake... .007" exhaust. Crank it over with valve covers off (ignition unplugged at the box) and verify that it delivers lots of oil to each of the rocker arms and that the cam lobes are happy. I have parts if needed.

Snap a pic of your intake and post it up....
Where are you in the world?

Different flavors of cars are also PRV six powered... We can rob things out of them like exhaust manifolds that will do wonders as the exhaust Volvo gave your car is embarrassingly restrictive.

We can get as crazy as you wish for. My street car has a naturally aspirated 3.2 liter even firing PRV six.... The rallycar a turbocharged three liter that is utterly sick.

Thoughts?

John Lane

Hey John. Thanks for replying so fast :)

Im on the east coast of Australia.
I dont know what K-Basic or K-Lambda is. Fuel injection something??
im not aloud to post pics yet but i have them here.

Greetings Jake....

You mention that it stalls cold.... Start with a good 'Stage Zero.' Verify that there are no vacuum leaks anywhere on the intake, around the injector seals ect... Fresh spark plugs... They are fond of Bosch H6DC. Set the valves.... When hot .004" on the intake... .007" exhaust. Crank it over with valve covers off (ignition unplugged at the box) and verify that it delivers lots of oil to each of the rocker arms and that the cam lobes are happy. I have parts if needed.

Im going to need to read a bit more before i can pull this off as not all of what you said makes sense to me, but ill give it a try. :p

As far as where id like to go with it... depends on cost, outcome and longevity. I dont want to send 1000's on something that will only break when i could have spent those dollars on a swap to something like a b280. So i guess ive just got basic on my mind to she how she handles it.

Cheers Jake.

Jake to put a Manual box into the car you'll need a bellhousing, flywheel and clutch hydraulics + a different driveshaft and other little details. It all bolts in.

M-46 is OK for standard power.... If you are going to get silly with it the bellhousing and flywheel will get modified for a T-5 or Toyota transmission.

B-280E is a nice place to start. Smooth idle due to even firing pulses with much better intake ports + pulsed injection.

I use much of a B-280 as a starting point in my engines.

hmmm well i dont think i need to get silly with it :p standard gearbox is ok... i wont be flogging her round a track or anything. Thats the next volvo pjoject. bolt on bolt off is what Im after i guess.
Except the extractors and exhaust I know thats going to be custom. I think ill byo mufflers for that one.

Id like to put a b280e in if thats what it came down to, maybe if this engines croaks it and if I could find one.

Set the valves.... When hot .004" on the intake... .007" exhaust. Crank it over with valve covers off (ignition unplugged at the box) and verify that it delivers lots of oil to each of the rocker arms and that the cam lobes are happy.
ah just to get things clear to me hear. so i take the rocker covers off to do this right?? im looking in my manual at section 37 of chapter 1. Sorry if i ask a few newb questions. Also taking the engine out is not an option for me yet.

how carefull do I need to be with the air-conditioning compressor? do i need to purge it if its out of coolant or gas that makes the air cold?

Get someone you know that knows their way around engines to show you how. For the AC it's best to take the car to a shop for a recharge

Id like to put a b280e in if thats what it came down to, maybe if this engines croaks it and if I could find one.

When you get there... Much fun to be had.

ah just to get things clear to me hear. so i take the rocker covers off to do this right?? im looking in my manual at section 37 of chapter 1. Sorry if i ask a few newb questions. Also taking the engine out is not an option for me yet.

Yes, rocker covers come off.... You have the 'Green Book' by Volvo for this engine? Many good pictures for help there.

Keep everything spotlessly clean....

how carefull do I need to be with the air-conditioning compressor? do i need to purge it if its out of coolant or gas that makes the air cold?

If there is no freon in the A/C it will get charged later.... But this speaks to it having a leak.... which is common. While setting the valves the A/C compressor will set up on the right fender on a thick blanket so it doesn't damage the coachwork. The hoses will easily allow this.

Yes, rocker covers come off.... You have the 'Green Book' by Volvo for this engine? Many good pictures for help there.

I have a mate who has some experience with engines so i might get him to come round when i do it. He also told me to clean it first as its pretty oily and greasy in there. so ill give the it all a bit of a degrease first. looks like the crank vent case pops off and has shot oil every where over the block and underside of the bonnet and air filter... :s ive cleaned the crank case since then but i think it needs a new O ring to stay in securely.

If there is no freon in the A/C it will get charged later.... But this speaks to it having a leak.... which is common. While setting the valves the A/C compressor will set up on the right fender on a thick blanket so it doesn't damage the coachwork. The hoses will easily allow this.

Would you recommend removing it completely to make servicing easier? Thats what I wanted to do. Since Ive owned it its never had "gas"

Also i was watching a video on checking for vacuum leaks so i might go get an extinguisher before i start checking. I lost my last 264 to fire so Im pretty paranoid

Foto-JMB3MHFI-D.jpg

Foto-JZWWLIBI-D.jpg

Foto-UZQ77JCW-D.jpg

Foto-UHFGFMVQ-D.jpg

Hi, maybe this conversion ia an idea? i converted my uneven fire from mechanical injection(K:grrr:jet) to electronic injection:lol:
runs like a dream..
gilles

The fuel rails look to have come off of a B-280.

The crank trigger and distributor trigger look to be MegaSquirt.

When I gave my turbo three liter Electromotive programmable management it got a 60-2 trigger wheel similar to what that fellow did.

Programmable pulsed injection is the cat's pajamas.

That fellow's engine is a very early 'E' engine. I've never seen one in person. I'm interested to see the intake ports.

OP if the crankcase vent has popped off your engine it is likely plugged. Remove the (plugged solid!) wire mesh 'filter' and clean out the ick from the oil cap area. Be sure that crankcase vent hoses are clear.

I have a mate who has some experience with engines so i might get him to come round when i do it. He also told me to clean it first as its pretty oily and greasy in there. so ill give the it all a bit of a degrease first. looks like the crank vent case pops off and has shot oil every where over the block and underside of the bonnet and air filter... :s ive cleaned the crank case since then but i think it needs a new O ring to stay in securely.

Would you recommend removing it completely to make servicing easier? Thats what I wanted to do. Since Ive owned it its never had "gas"

Also i was watching a video on checking for vacuum leaks so i might go get an extinguisher before i start checking. I lost my last 264 to fire so Im pretty paranoid

You can't go wrong having a large, fully charged fire extinguisher or two around the shop..:omg::nod:

John, not that I have one of those motors, but how easy is it to find rebuild and maintenance stuff for the motor itself? Gaskets and all the hard parts that wear out?

Thanks

Rockauto consistently has whatever I need.

Liners can be oversized.... Cams can be reground.... Stem seals are VW golf stuff if memory serves....

I use Toyota's black sealer in place of gaskets that will 'sweat' oil.... so no need for valve cover or timing cover gaskets.

Only thing really not available is the shims under the liners and I deck the block for correct liner protrusion.

The fuel rails look to have come off of a B-280.

The crank trigger and distributor trigger look to be MegaSquirt.

When I gave my turbo three liter Electromotive programmable management it got a 60-2 trigger wheel similar to what that fellow did.

Programmable pulsed injection is the cat's pajamas.

That fellow's engine is a very early 'E' engine. I've never seen one in person. I'm interested to see the intake ports.

Indeed early E, I drilled out the injector seats with a special drill, innstead of placing bungs. Injectorrail came from a b280. Initially i tried to use the intake manifold from b280 but the heads differ too much to get it to fit, i used megasquirt and a guy named bosma wrote the software to make the odd fire run. It runs better than ever now

Indeed early E, I drilled out the injector seats with a special drill, innstead of placing bungs. Injectorrail came from a b280. Initially i tried to use the intake manifold from b280 but the heads differ too much to get it to fit, i used megasquirt and a guy named bosma wrote the software to make the odd fire run. It runs better than ever now

Nice!

If ever you wish to..... The even-firing crank will sit right in your main bearings.... Rods are different.... This will be an opportunity to give it a stroked crankshaft.... More displacement and FUN! with a smooth idle. Naturally with a longer stroke it gets forged pistons soooo any compression ratio we like.... You already have programmable pulsed engine management.... Time for a turbo :omg:

Back