home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #676
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Good Evening,

Some new toys arrived the other day. Went with a AGP Turbo CW5257B .48 A/R T3. This will have a quick spool time and match well with my other modifications. Only planning to make 300 to 330. Wastegate is a 38mm Tial MVS with V-band flanges.

Thanks,

Last edited by HUB; 02-25-2018 at 09:45 AM..
HUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #677
Vol242vo
Board Member

Top notch build, your attention to detail is remarkable. Love the updates!
Old 03-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #678
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Good Morning,

A few more parts arrived the other day. Also started the process of finding a home for the MS3 along with other electrical stuff. Will be cleaning up the wiring mess once I starting hooking up the MS.

Thanks,
Old 03-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #679
Tfrasca
Board Member

I guess you could say it's getting pretty serious.
Tfrasca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #680
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
I guess you could say it's getting pretty serious.
Haha. It is.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #681
NONHOG
equal opportunity car guy

Love the build. Admire the focus you have!
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #682
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Good Morning,

I have been really busy with work lately (trying to make sure we don't shutdown an assembly plant). I have manage to get some work done. Have taken a few steps forward and a few steps back. Haha.

Mounted one of the electric bulkhead fittings for the MS3pro harness. This was just a quick template made to check for fitment and to see how I would like to move forward. Will need to put in another. Will most likely go above it.

I did get the J-pipe back to check for fitment. However, I didn't account for the offset of the turbo and how close it was to the head. The spark plugs would of been sitting against the turbo.

So I used a strap to position the turbo over more with the bottom flange at an angle. I then marked it on the J-pipe and we're going to try that. This would leave about 1 to 2 inches between the turbo and the spark plug wires. I will put on a turbo blanket and will be looking into some additional heat boots for the wires. I think that should be fine.

Lots of room by the fender

I then installed the alternator to make sure I would have enough room for the external wastegate. I do room... However, I have to address the issue of making left turns...

Thanks,

Last edited by HUB; 03-25-2018 at 07:44 AM..
Old 03-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #683
Vol242vo
Board Member

This build is amazing. Extremely clean and such a high level of attention to detail. Absolutely stunning 122.
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #684
mblue240
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUB View Post

I then installed the alternator to make sure I would have enough room for the external wastegate. I do room... However, I have to address the issue of making left turns...

Thanks,
Are you running ac or a ps pump on the driver side? If not I would grab a 740 driver side accessory bracket and run the alternator on the top position of that.

Tbricks build

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4_ford View Post
In Oregon, 5 Volvos in a parking lot isn't a meet, it's just a daily coincidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChoy View Post
Yep, Michael is right.
mblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #685
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblue240 View Post
Are you running ac or a ps pump on the driver side? If not I would grab a 740 driver side accessory bracket and run the alternator on the top position of that.
I was debating that. Don’t know if I’ll have room due to my intake setup. Will have to play around and see.

Thank you!

Last edited by HUB; 03-25-2018 at 03:39 PM..
Old 03-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #686
mblue240
Board Member

I was just looking over the pics again, the steering box might make it snug too. I cut the bottom half of my bracket off and it still mounted up fine, so that would help with clearance down low. How many amps do you need to run? The Vol Tech race car has an alternator the size of a can of coke, which should be easy to wrap the intake around. I don't know how much power it pumps out though.
mblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #687
cwdodson88
Board Member

Yeah, that’s been the hardest part of working around the front end of these. Those steering parts just tighten up the whole low portion of the engine bay.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #688
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Yeah, thatís been the hardest part of working around the front end of these. Those steering parts just tighten up the whole low portion of the engine bay.
Also true in the 140. HUB, I bet you can get creative with a custom alternator bracket to move that up a bit.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #689
evolvo67
Board Member

I eliminated all that steering crap and installed a P&P. Lots of room then.
evolvo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #690
cwdodson88
Board Member

That’s what I’ve been trying to work out. I’m thinking about designing a rack mount that uses 4 points. I was thinking that having the lca bolts and the motor mount bolts from underneath would be enough, then it would be a bolt on solution. I just need to find a narrow enough rack.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #691
evolvo67
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Thatís what Iíve been trying to work out. Iím thinking about designing a rack mount that uses 4 points. I was thinking that having the lca bolts and the motor mount bolts from underneath would be enough, then it would be a bolt on solution. I just need to find a narrow enough rack.
I would advise against using those mount points. Instead, after you remove the factory steering you'll have three mounting holes on each frame rail where the steering hardware was attached. Look here:
http://www.unisteer.com/ at their custom rack mounts. They almost certainly will not have a mount for a 122 but you can model something off of their design. I don't know the level of your fab skills, but if you can weld you should be able to make one of these. I'm sure Unisteer will help you, they helped me quite a bit when I did mine.
I went a different way, however and welded mounting tabs to the front cross member to mount my R&P. If you want to talk about this PM me and I'll tell you my mobile #!
Old 03-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #692
RolinOldies
Board Member

Quote:
Also true in the 140. HUB, I bet you can get creative with a custom alternator bracket to move that up a bit.
+1
R&P is nice but a whole other level of mod, fab a bracket is easy as cake
RolinOldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:25 AM   #693
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblue240 View Post
I tried this and it didn’t really work. The bracket bolts on but there’s nowhere to bolt up the alternator. Maybe it could work if I put more time into it but I spent like $10 and 15 minutes just making a generic SBC bracket work in the stock 240 position.

Feedback

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #694
evolvo67
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNance View Post
I tried this and it didnít really work. The bracket bolts on but thereís nowhere to bolt up the alternator. Maybe it could work if I put more time into it but I spent like $10 and 15 minutes just making a generic SBC bracket work in the stock 240 position.

Now just imagine if that sloppy steering box wasn't there! That's the beauty of R&P. To my mind if your going to the trouble of building a custom car why not make it as sweet as possible? Maybe not to the extent of Canuck, so meticulous! I did the research on how to minimize bump steer and with some string and a tape measure and my eyeballs I got it to work really well. I've never tracked my car but have done some spirited driving and I can tell you it's a blast. Besides the R&P I installed IPD lowering springs and a 30mm sway bar I found at Northern European Autoparts in Seattle. All it takes is time and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #695
RolinOldies
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNance View Post
Does the steering rod clear the crankpulley on a full turn? It is a known issue with a b230 in an amazon. I took one groove of my pulley on a lathe an had it ballanced, it's still verry close but not touch. Before i replaced the old gearboxmount it was still touching but with new solid motor and gearbox mounts now is fine.
RolinOldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #696
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Yeah it clears. I didnít modify anything except the alternator bracket. My engine sits pretty far back though.
AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #697
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Evening everyone,

Sorry it's been a while since I updated everyone.

Been working on getting some more parts. Haven't had much time to get anything done. The swirl pot came in for the fuel setup. Has a Bosch 044 pump inside.

The fuel filters also arrived.

The other reason for slow progress was that I had to pickup a new DD with the baby on the way.

2006 BMW 325xi. Inline 6, AWD, 6 speed. 61k on her.

Thanks,
Old 04-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #698
Tfrasca
Board Member

I like the new daily. Also, good choice on the swirl pot. Seems to be well made, although I haven't been able to run my car with it installed yet.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #699
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Quote:
I like the new daily. Also, good choice on the swirl pot. Seems to be well made, although I haven't been able to run my car with it installed yet.
Still need to decide what pump I want to use between the fuel tank and the swirl pot.

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
Old 04-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #700
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Looks like I found a home for my fuel setup. I like this option a lot better than putting it under the car.

I also got my hands on some heat shield boots for my spark plug wires. Turbo will have blanket and will wrap the exhaust.

Thanks,