• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

122 auto to manual swap

dirtbag240

So folk I'm helping do a full restoration on a 67 122s coupe that's currently the (3spd???) Auto box

How hard is it to drop in a 4spd box so either the m41 or m40 tranny, is the opening for the gear lever even present in the auto tranny tunnel or it that something that will need to be fabbed

Thanks for everything

I did it. It's not to hard, but in the end you'll end up with a gas and brake pedal that are only about half and inch apart. If you can live with that then it's not to bad of swap. I thought I could live with it, but it's starting to annoy me. I have to drive it with my shoes off. I'm looking for a manual tunnel to put in now.

And yes you do have to cut a hole for the shifter
164059911.jpg

164059914.jpg

http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=324102

Last edited:
I think it depends on the year. I've seen a factory 122 with a plastic cover in place over the shifter hole. I think the earlier automatics used only slightly modified manual trans bodies, the later ones used a different body with a wider tunnel.

I think it depends on the year. I've seen a factory 122 with a plastic cover in place over the shifter hole. I think the earlier automatics used only slightly modified manual trans bodies, the later ones used a different body with a wider tunnel.

The one i m working on is a Canadian 1967 coupe

The other thing I found interesting us that it has rear air running along the tranny tunnel, is this rare or just a normal auto feature

The reason I bring that up is because it seems that the piping come out of where the stock shifter would pop up

All 122's '65- use the plastic heater duct. Since 122's didn't come with an auto until '65, all automatic 122's have the duct. The 4 speed duct has a hole for the shifter to come through.

Rather than change the tunnel, most people just take a BFH to the tunnel and make clearance for the 4 speed throttle pedal.

Last edited:
The one i m working on is a Canadian 1967 coupe

The other thing I found interesting us that it has rear air running along the tranny tunnel, is this rare or just a normal auto feature

The reason I bring that up is because it seems that the piping come out of where the stock shifter would pop up

The air tunnel/channel does run over the trans tunnel. I've had three 65's and a 67 and all 4 had that set up. It actually bolts to the trans tunnel.

All 122's '65- use the plastic heater duct. Since 122's didn't some with an auto until '65, all automatic 122's have the duct. The 4 speed duct has a hole for the shifter to come through.

Rather than change the tunnel, most people just take a BFH to the tunnel and make clearance for the 4 speed throttle pedal.

:lol:

That acronym never gets old.

picture.php

This has been working well for me. There seems to be some twisting on the bearings, just don't neglect to lube them once in a while.

Last edited:
Or as a concept, would using a race style bottom mount pedal assembly be easier for making everything fit comfy, then just cut out the shifter hole and good to go

I thought about using the BFH method, and horizontally extending the pedals, but I am also switching to a short shifter, so I plan on doing a good bit of cutting and welding anyway. For me cutting the whole tunnel out isn't to big a deal.

My plan is to use the stock 122 manual tunnel, and fab in the 1800 short shifter tunnel. I have the 1800 tunnel already, and I'm just trying to find a 122 manual tunnel now.

Aree the floorboards and firewall of an 1800 the same as a 122? I was always under the impression that they were (at least in front of the shorter back section). And that you'd be able to fit the complete short shifter 1800 tunnel in as is?

When I stuck a 122 tunnel into my PV I discovered that the drivetrain sits higher relative to the drivetrain than a 122. By an inch and a half or so.f I had to trim off all of the 'edges' of the 122 tunnel I'd harvested and created L-shaped strips to weld to it to reach down to the PV flor.

Agree the floorboards and firewall of an 1800 the same as a 122? I was always under the impression that they were (at least in front of the shorter back section). And that you'd be able to fit the complete short shifter 1800 tunnel in as is?

I'm not real sure. I just assumed they were different. I figured the angle at the firewall would be different.

Aree the floorboards and firewall of an 1800 the same as a 122? I was always under the impression that they were (at least in front of the shorter back section). And that you'd be able to fit the complete short shifter 1800 tunnel in as is?

When I stuck a 122 tunnel into my PV I discovered that the drivetrain sits higher relative to the drivetrain than a 122. By an inch and a half or so.f I had to trim off all of the 'edges' of the 122 tunnel I'd harvested and created L-shaped strips to weld to it to reach down to the PV flor.
Strange, i did the same thing to accomodate a M41 in my PV but i can't remember having that issue...

Anyway, i sure would mod the tunnel instead of the pedal bars.

Back