• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Why is a straight exhaust pipe not ideal?

Ideal
i?de?al
īˈdē(ə)l
adjective
1. satisfying one's conception of what is perfect; most suitable.

Instal a straight pipe and if you like it, keep it.

If not add a muffler or two until the tone tickles your fancy.

For me, down pipe into a 3" cherry bomb is a symphony of harmonics and performance.

^

I run an 83 242 with a ~10.5-10.6:1 B23. H cam. Stahl header.

I DD it 134 miles a day.

I noticed a difference when I swapped from the teeny tiny stock exhaust to a 2 1/2" system. I was originally running a Flowmaster 40. That was way to loud and terribly droning on the highway. Switched to a Flowmaster resonator with a Super 50. Still sh*tty loud. No difference in power BTW on the butt dyno. Put a giant flowmax muffler on it. Left the resonator on it. Acceptably loud. No difference in power. No difference in idle. Next time I build an exhaust for the car, I'll get the biggest 'truck muffler' I can find that will fit.

These cars don't make enough power to really see the difference between muffler styles - or straight pipe for that matter. If you put a good 2 1/2" system on an NA car, it'll handle whatever you can throw at it in an NA car. Turbo is of course a different story altogether. Running a 500+ LS motor in there - different story. 2.3L I4? Not going to matter once you hit a decent 2 1/2" exhaust. 3" is fun, but a waste in NA unless you are going wayyyyy farther building the car.

Whether your motor has enough compression to take advantage of an H cam is another matter.

Thank you Chris, best post I have read on the topic.

Back