• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sander's 6.0 V12 745 project

I was wondering about that lift also, but can't find a similar one on eBay US.

Your car is crazy, can't wait to see a vid of it in action!

I'll definitely make some nice vids once it's done (in 64 years at this rate...)

Looking good OP.

Eager to see and hear this one go.

That MB bent-12 needed to be allowed to breathe. Should be a laugh riot.

Thanks! Should be a riot indeed

Is that a b204ft

Nope, that's the engine that was in the car originally, although heavily modified. It's a B234F+T with forged RSI pistons and connection rods etc.

This is an awesome build. Love your attention to detail - and having to mod your building :). On a side note, I noticed your angle torque tool. Looks much easier to use than my old SnapOn with angle rod that never locates properly for Volvo flywheels, etc... :D What brand did you get & did it do the job accurately for you? Many thanks.
Thanks! It's actually also a random one I grabbed off of ebay for next to nothing. I have one like yours too with a little rod that you have to hook on something, but bought the one in the pics too because it's super easy to work with. Worked surprisingly well. Just make sure the clamp is clamped on properly. It's this one: https://ebay.us/XUVSOc, but I'm sure something similair can be found on your side of the ocean.

Thanks! It's actually also a random one I grabbed off of ebay for next to nothing. I have one like yours too with a little rod that you have to hook on something, but bought the one in the pics too because it's super easy to work with. Worked surprisingly well. Just make sure the clamp is clamped on properly. It's this one: https://ebay.us/XUVSOc, but I'm sure something similair can be found on your side of the ocean.

Thank you for replying. That one actually looks better than the few I can find online here - white matt face instead of reflective chrome dial, for example :( - For some reason I can't get Chrome to translate the product name into English. Would it be possible to get the details off the package for the brand & item number so I can resaerch it some more? Worst case, I'd get my Aunt (lives in Germany) to buy that & ship to me, price is certainly good.

Last edited:
I've got another question for you :p. What happened when you took off the oil pickup?
Does the rest of the pump come off as well, or can you just take the pickup off and leave it like that.

Talking about tuning, there's some aftermarket support, but it's insanely expensive. Moldex makes a billet crankshaft for instance, but it costs like 4k.
Thankfully the oem camshafts are pretty decent and give a nice power band with a 7k rev limit.
You can always have them reground for a couple of 100 euros if you need a more agressive profile.

I've got another question for you :p. What happened when you took off the oil pickup?
Does the rest of the pump come off as well, or can you just take the pickup off and leave it like that.

Talking about tuning, there's some aftermarket support, but it's insanely expensive. Moldex makes a billet crankshaft for instance, but it costs like 4k.
Thankfully the oem camshafts are pretty decent and give a nice power band with a 7k rev limit.
You can always have them reground for a couple of 100 euros if you need a more agressive profile.
What are you planning to do with the pump? I didn't take the pump off the engine, just took the pickup tube part off. There are 3 long thin bolts that hold it together. If you take that off, it'll fall apart a bit but the pump itself with the gear and chain etc will stay on the engine with the gear in place. The piece that comes off is just a spacer of some kind. There isn't any sealant between the parts, just metal on metal.
Regarding tuning, I'd just like to see how it is now and then take it from there. 4000 for a billet V12 crankshaft doesn't seem too bad. Can make it a 7.3L engine then like the AMG versions :D But yeah, win the lottery first. How do these engines hold up at 7000rpm? Seems like a lot for so much reciprocating mass and a rather long crankshaft.

Thank you for replying. That one actually looks better than the few I can find online here - white matt face instead of reflective chrome dial, for example :( - For some reason I can't get Chrome to translate the product name into English. Would it be possible to get the details off the package for the brand & item number so I can resaerch it some more? Worst case, I'd get my Aunt (lives in Germany) to buy that & ship to me, price is certainly good.

Unfortunately I don't have the packaging anymore and the thing itself doesn't have something written on it.

Haha that's what I wanted to know, I just need to take the pickup tube off, but it looked like the pump was bolted together like the stages on a dry sump pump so wasn't sure to just take them out :p.

I think 7k rpm shouldn't be that big of a problem, sure it's not ideal and there's a lot of mass, but a v12 is also super smooth and the block is very stiff with 6 bolt mains.

If I ever get too much money I'm building a clk gtr/zonda R style 6 litre. Increasing the stroke isn't really conductive to running high revs :p.

Bit of progress, 1 thing I hadn't quite worked out how to do was the power steering system. Somehow the Mercedes pump, Ford hydroboost and Volvo rack have to play nice together. The S600 pump puts out 125 bar which is way more than the Volvo. The hydroboost unit and the Volvo rack work at pretty much the same pressure, so I needed to lower the pressure and flow from the S600 pump. It's a pump made by ZF, so I searched for a random ZF pump that puts out the correct 95 bar like the 740/940 pump normally does, with the intention to swap the pressure regulator parts and the flow restrictor. To my surprise, turns out that physically the other pump I got is exactly the same, just the bits that make it car specific bolt on. Swapped everything over and now it should work well. The pressure is the same as the Volvo pump and the flow restrictor thing has the exact same diameter as the Volvo pump too, so it should be exactly what it needs now regarding flow and pressure.

Put parts of the front back on to start measuring for the radiator. The engine is so long that even though the radiator would fit in the stock position, there would't be any room for a fan. I'll end up moving the rad further forward under the plastic piece in between the headlights. Should be enough space for an electric fan then.

1 down, 3 more to go. The collector is held on with springs, but it also is super tightly clamped on and you can barely get it off with a hammer. It's sealed with a special sealant I found that is rated up to 1000 degrees C, bonds to metal and doesn't flake or something into the cats. I did it like this as there is no way to weld them all around as the pipes are too close together in the collector.

Last edited:
Save to: Fap Folder. Ok. Good night.

Haha thanks

Can you accommodate our curiosity with a photo of how the collectors look from the bottom-side?

Sure, you mean where they end up on the underside of the car or a pic from the inside of the collector? I just have this crappy pic of the right side. I'll take some better pics and some from the left tomorrow, but there they are pretty much in the same place. It all fits pretty tight, but it does fit. Overall, there is like 6 meters of tube in there. The collectors will each get a 2" secondary on them, which will then merge into a single 2,5" pipe on each side of the car, through a cat, come together with an X pipe maybe if there is space and then go side by side to the back over the IRS subframe in the back.

Last edited:
From bottom of car - thx! Got it - I think that config will work well. Do a crossover (H or X) if you can. I think it will sound even better that way.

From bottom of car - thx! Got it - I think that config will work well. Do a crossover (H or X) if you can. I think it will sound even better that way.

I'm planning on running an X pipe, but I'm not sure where it'll have to go under the car. I'll have to wait until the drive shaft is done before I know how to route it all there. Here's a pic of the left side manifolds wrapping around the steering column:

https://s1042.photobucket.com/user/Sanderhg/library?page=21

And that makes 2. 2 more to go.

Had to remove the oil filter housing to undo the left forward manifold, but that's super easy, just a couple bolts.

Last edited:
Thanks! Hopefully I'll have them done soon so I can start putting everything together more permanently.

That makes 3 (no. 4 is almost done too, forgot to take pics though):

Last edited:
Have you delt with the fuel tank sender/gauge yet? I finally pulled everything off my V90 donor and I was putting the tank back together. Looks like my '90 740 uses a different resistance sender than the 960/V90, and it is a totally different shape for the IRS tank. Maybe swap the old resistance coils into the new sender? Or swap over the fuel gauge into my older cluster?

Back