• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Autocross issue - bad axle hop problem

Are you dropping the clutch on a downshift?
Or just letting off the accelerator?

Let off the accelerator, hard turn left or right. Autocross is all 2nd gear so no shifting.

With this engine and gearing, there is a ton of engine braking at high rpm. It's enough to break the inside tire loose since there's so little weight on it in a very hard turn - and that's when the hopping starts. It's just the inside wheel that hops.

Let off the accelerator, hard turn left or right. Autocross is all 2nd gear so no shifting.

With this engine and gearing, there is a ton of engine braking at high rpm. It's enough to break the inside tire loose since there's so little weight on it in a very hard turn - and that's when the hopping starts. It's just the inside wheel that hops.

Time for a limited slip for sure. Ben can hook you up with a nice wavetrac if you like.

i had the same issue with my 242 302 car would hop like a bastard.... but my gutted 245 with over 500 hp didnt hop at all maybe the extra weight from the wagon?? they were all running the same suspension and rear end could pinion angle cause wheel hop from a hard acceleration ?

I agree with the "HD is too soft: for these springs. I'm running the same set up on my 242 autocross car. My 242 did have some old HD on the rear when I got it. Wheel hop was not crazy, but was most defiantly there until I switched to Koni single adjustable race shock from Ben. Rock solid since.

Time for a limited slip for sure. Ben can hook you up with a nice wavetrac if you like.

Yep, Limited slip will help. Also play with tire-pressure and softening back end (disconnect swaybar or set to softest holes, etc). Had similar experience with 122S until putting in a Dana limited slip.

Actually I have my first race on Sunday since the upgrade. I will say that the Konis are way, way stiffer. I'm really surprised how much stiffer they are.

I'm sure they will help a ton or solve the issue - will report back soon!

Well my issue is pretty much gone, but I can't say if it's the shocks or the new Tru-trac I have now. I think the latter.

If I stomp the brakes, like at the very end of the run, I still get some axle hop if the rear tires lock. The only thing it could be at this point is worn out original bushings where the trailing arms connect to the body. All other bushings are poly or heim joints now.

Well my issue is pretty much gone, but I can't say if it's the shocks or the new Tru-trac I have now. I think the latter.

If I stomp the brakes, like at the very end of the run, I still get some axle hop if the rear tires lock. The only thing it could be at this point is worn out original bushings where the trailing arms connect to the body. All other bushings are poly or heim joints now.

The poly you used is not an improvement.... They cause binding.

Back