• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 940 ls swap/turbo

volvoguy23

Volvo 945 ls swap suspension suggestions

Anyone that has swapped in a ls/v8 have any pointers on some nice stiff springs? Suspension setups? What do you guys reccomend? My buddy has some new 240 overload wagon springs for the rear would those fit the fronts at all? Looking to stiffen up all 4 corners honestly , will be street strip car. Maybe some s10 springs? I got a welder so anything can happen just windexing what would be the best/cheapest solution mainly for the fronts because right now tell car has **** springs and is not gonna work..

Last edited:
Anyone that has swapped in a ls/v8 have any pointers on some nice stiff springs? Suspension setups? What do you guys reccomend? My buddy has some new 240 overload wagon springs for the rear would those fit the fronts at all? Looking to stiffen up all 4 corners honestly , will be street strip car. Maybe some s10 springs? I got a welder so anything can happen just windexing what would be the best/cheapest solution mainly for the fronts because right now tell car has **** springs and is not gonna work..

Why S10 springs? Did you just do a vehicle roulette to find springs? WTF?

Find out current rate, do some real research and go from there.

How are you shocks going to deal with stiffer springs?

Why S10 springs? Did you just do a vehicle roulette to find springs? WTF?

Find out current rate, do some real research and go from there.

How are you shocks going to deal with stiffer springs?

Well I was trying to find some threads before posting and seen some guys talking about s10 springs, or mayne it was shocks cant remeber now, didn't know if that a "thing" on here. The current setup is stock stuff with cut springs from PO , I didn't know if I could get away with the overload springs in the front with some stiff koni or what not. Coil overs arent In the budget. I'll figure something out.

Last edited:
I have a 5.3 turbo. I have the ipd springs, and bilstein shock combo. I like them.

OK, cool that helps, does it nose dive or roll more then normal? Maybe I'll try those.. I'm just concerned with the front suspension really... because of the added weight and my oil pan hangs past the cross member 2inches..

Last edited:
the ipd springs sucked on my 940 after I swapped in the l33, went back with stock springs. could stand to be stiffer. Not convinced the ipd springs are any stiffer than stock..

What? Get the weld kit. You're talking about struts and springs right? Coilovers are barely more money, might not even be if you can fab... then you can swap springs as needed.

What? Get the weld kit. You're talking about struts and springs right? Coilovers are barely more money, might not even be if you can fab... then you can swap springs as needed.

Oh I see what your talking about now...my bad. Something to thing about your right.

Oh I see what your talking about now...my bad. Something to thing about your right.

The thing is... it's just infinitely a better solution. I'm only running the GT springs myself because of the lack of info on spring rates.

The coils are on my list once the T5 goes in.

One of my regrets is not weighing more of the stuff I took out, and put in. However my car weighs 3200 lbs as it sits. So not much heavier than it was with a b230. A suspension on a street car is only as "good" as the user's opinion of it. If you don't plan to cornerweight, or adjust the ride height, then coilovers are no better than a simple strut insert, and spring.

One of my regrets is not weighing more of the stuff I took out, and put in. However my car weighs 3200 lbs as it sits. So not much heavier than it was with a b230. A suspension on a street car is only as "good" as the user's opinion of it. If you don't plan to cornerweight, or adjust the ride height, then coilovers are no better than a simple strut insert, and spring.

See that's my thing, I like to keep things fairly simple. This is a 945, stripped out, bucket seats, eventually just a roll bar, currently has an lm7 5.3, th400, 7875, intercooler etc...no a/c I don't know if the car is gonna be heavier or lighter then stock but alot has been removed...I just know that the suspension before the swap was stock and shot so i have to do something about it before driving.

As much as I like the idea of a coilovers setup I'm just trying to get the car going. It's only for crusing round and goING fast in a straight line. When/if I break the stock rear end I will then maybe do coilovers in the rear to optimize dragstrip performance because my goal is 10 seconds with the car.

I guess maybe I need to get some scales and weigh all 4 corners and go from there. I feel like it may be light enough to get away with some new ipd springs and some HD bilsteins...

I am only running 7 psi with a 7875, and the car is very fast. There is squat when accelerating, but body roll is controlled without being overly stiff. I would like more rear spring, but they are adequate. IPD just sent me an email today that they are having a sale through the 25th. I have never owned a 7/9 so I don't know how different the suspension will be.

I have also run these springs with konis on another car, and I prefer them. They are more expensive though.

I would love to see 10's also, but likely won't try very hard until I get my explorer axle in the back.

Yeah I'll probably have to keep it down around 10psi judging by my buddy's 4.8 gremlin with a 7875 haha. I too will be going to the 8.8 once I break the stocker. I was thinking some overload springs in the back , and I was just on ipd website and all that stuff for the 7/9 is on sell. I'll have to get it on the ground and weigh it and see how looks and feels woth these cut aprings and go from there. Getting pretty excited! Thanks for input guys.

Last edited:
the ipd springs sucked on my 940 after I swapped in the l33, went back with stock springs. could stand to be stiffer. Not convinced the ipd springs are any stiffer than stock..

I can get a set of used stock springs pretty easy I may try those and see how they feel. BTW I seen some your YT vids and your wagon hauls some ass! Can't wait to get mine going.

Back