• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New tire time, 3 options...

Which tire?

• Bridgestone S04 Pole Position

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Continental ExtremeContact Sport

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gsellstr

Vintage anti-ricer
300+ Club
Time to throw some new meats on the wagon before winter settles in, down to the wear bars.

So, in the running:
Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position, $133, 280 AA A
Been running these on there currently, love them, kinda short on treadwear but some of that has been addressed with some camber up front, some of that is just due to driving style (aggressive at times).

Michelin Pilot Super Sport, $153, 300 AA A
Haven't run a performance Michelin in a realllly long time. Rated better than the S04's on Tire Rack, on wet, dry, comfort, and treadwear.

Continental ExtremeContact Sport, $121, 340 AA A
Last set of tires was a set of the ExtremeContact DW's, nice tire, a little sluggish on turn-in, nice ride, wore thru the shoulders same as I did on the S04's. Cheaper, less weight, never had an issue with them. No reviews on Tirerack yet, new tire just coming out.

So, all about the same price point, similar categories, just down to preference, curious what the masses have to say on the Conti if anyone has them, and on the Pilot's.

I ike Continental tires. I've also had very good luck with Cooper tires. They may slide in cheaper than the Continental. You won't go wrong with anything that is not a Michelin. I have never had a good Michelin and won't buy them again.

I don't have my latest issue of Grass Roots Motorsports with me for the details, but if my reading comprehension serves me right the Conti's made great strides to beat Michelin everywhere it was important, especially in the wet--though if you are in LA, that might not matter. You might want to check this issue at the newstand as I believe their comparison might be informative.

I have been putting Falken Ziex's on everything I own since I read the test that showed them making grip almost on par with an autocross tire for half the price, and I haven't been disappointed (other than that the treadwear is hardly stellar, but that was also to be expected--who wants 5 year old tires?). They've changed branding to Ohtsu, but you can still get them :)

The S04s are an old tire by now, still a great pick though. The Super Sports are supposed to be a really nice tire for the tread wear, I don't have any personal experience with them. Going by tread the Continental's look like a better dry tire but with that 340 wear rating they could be a less sticky compound. Keeping in mind that each manufacturer sets the wear rating and you can't really cross compare using that.

Honestly, I won't go back to the Falken, ran a few varieties, not even the same ballpark as the 3 I listed.

I am curious on the conti, same thoughts you mentioned David. Never heard bad on the Michelin other than price point.

I will have to see if I can find that grm article...
Hmm... Decisions....

Nokian Zline A/S for me once I get my Hydras...they're a great tire and less expensive alternative to Continental and Michelin.

I've been really happy with my BFG G force comp 2 a/s on my daily, very good in all conditions.

+2 on this. I have these on my wagon and they grip really well. When it is in the 70s out I can barely chirp the tires when 16psi hits on my wagon. I am running 235/45/17 iirc and they have been pretty good so far.

I put on a set of BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S about 6 months ago. I'd give them a look if I were you.

Great all-season UHP tire. Great in the rain. Solid, quiet and won't break the bank (cheaper than all of the options you listed). I ran the pole positions for years and have no issues with the BFGs in comparison.

Very happy.

Check the video shoot out.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...=2001&autoModel=C70 Cabriolet&autoModClar=HPT

Last edited:
Damn you guys, adding more to the list.

Read up a bunch on the Conti's, seem like hot stuff in the market right now. Only concern is they recommend against driving in under 40* temps without giving the tires a chance to come to temp over 24 hours. We do get some cold snaps during the winter. Granted the S04's are the same deal, which may be why the rubber split in the tread patch grooves. Haven't run a set of directional's in a while, might look into those BFG's...

Damn you guys, adding more to the list.

Read up a bunch on the Conti's, seem like hot stuff in the market right now. Only concern is they recommend against driving in under 40* temps without giving the tires a chance to come to temp over 24 hours. We do get some cold snaps during the winter. Granted the S04's are the same deal, which may be why the rubber split in the tread patch grooves. Haven't run a set of directional's in a while, might look into those BFG's...

How cold?

I've driven with the RE71Rs in near freezing temps, they get hard and dart around until you put a mile or two in them to warm them up. Haven't had any problem with tread separation or the like. They do fine in light to medium rain but heavy rainfall and big puddles are not their specialty. I would say just grab some of these or the Direzza Star Specs if you don't care about mileage and noise, they don't disappoint in grip or feel.

I've driven with the RE71Rs in near freezing temps, they get hard and dart around until you put a mile or two in them to warm them up. Haven't had any problem with tread separation or the like. They do fine in light to medium rain but heavy rainfall and big puddles are not their specialty. I would say just grab some of these or the Direzza Star Specs if you don't care about mileage and noise, they don't disappoint in grip or feel.

I have had a few locals complain about the Dunlops on lighter cars with 270+whp about traction and hanlding issues, added to the noise and wear on them.

Winter in the valley we get 20's, some years the rare teens overnight but that is pretty rare.

I am sticking with something nice David, this is my daily after all. ;-)

I put some of those Michelin P.S.S. tires on my 940, for some reason the specific size I wanted was as cheap as any of the other cheap summer tires at the time. Haven't used the other two, so can't compare.

They have great traction under power and while cornering, its hard to even break traction under power anymore. Like many of the Michelins, the sidewalls are softer than some other brands, but they ride smoother over normal road imperfections. They've been wearing nicely and the only thing I noticed right away was quite a bit of noise under braking, but that has eventually happened with most of the other tires I've used on 7/9 cars.

Last edited:
I've never run the S04 pole positions, but The REwhatever pole positions are the best tires I've ever been on. I've had two sets and they're stellar.

Back