home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 01-09-2003, 12:53 AM   #26
Tuff240
240 Ninja

John,
The details and dates for the Thunderhill VCOA Track Day are in my post in the events section:
http://turbovolvo.saliv8.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1068

Hope to see you there.
Patrick D.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 12:58 PM   #27
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuff240
John,
The details and dates for the Thunderhill VCOA Track Day are in my post in the events section:
http://turbovolvo.saliv8.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1068

Hope to see you there.
Patrick D.
OK Guys.....This here would be something of a cross post. I will be attending the event at Thunderhill. Should be a hoot. Just have to not wad up the car at Doo-Wops first weekend of March. See my post in 'events.' RE thunderhill. JL.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:05 PM   #28
JohnLane
Board Member

The secret is out Dave........And to think that you did that to the poor guy in the 911 turbo with 6 (count 'em SIX) pounds of boost. We now run the thing to 15 lbs of boost and may do the reprogramming for 20 or 25lbs of boost before thunderhill. Hmmmmmmm..........The Volvo will have the Powerstroke intercooler in it for that event too. Oh---Dave....What you doing the last weekend of April? We gotta go and be silly in California with the Volvo. JL.
JohnLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:02 PM   #29
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Oh man, I am EXCITED now!

...and afraid to be on the track at the same time...

:eek:

Doug
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #30
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

Decided to go for the Powerstroke eh? Hehe. It's your kinda mod.
Depending on how you mount it you may need to look into changing your lighting scheme to single 7".... but without AC you could probably keep the recangular ones.
Overkill definitely is much more fun. Only bummer now is that I may need a rather significant amount of nitrous to keep up to John at the iPD drags. ;)

You going to run out of turbo by 20psi?

-Kenny
(I crushed a 240 with some stuff done to it. Honest.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Turbobricks isn't a car forum any more. Its a forum for lame kids.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:33 PM   #31
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

I doubt Mr. Overkill picked a turbo too small. Bah, 20psi thats chump change!

lol
Old 01-09-2003, 02:42 PM   #32
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBondo
Decided to go for the Powerstroke eh? Hehe. It's your kinda mod.
Depending on how you mount it you may need to look into changing your lighting scheme to single 7".... but without AC you could probably keep the recangular ones.
Overkill definitely is much more fun. Only bummer now is that I may need a rather significant amount of nitrous to keep up to John at the iPD drags. ;)

You going to run out of turbo by 20psi?
We shall see how the Powerstroke install goes. Should be pretty easy.
Laughing gas may well be just the ticket for us after all is said and done.....You got the stuff without the odor? Heehee.
I don't know if I will run out of turbo or not. That remains to be seen. I am more concerned about running out of injector. I will very likely tune it to 80% of what everything is capable of. Should be pretty scary. Just the way we like it, no?
So who wants to hook up for the trip down?
JL.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:23 PM   #33
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

yes, running out of fuel before running out of air is definitely worse. :shock:

I can squeeze off about 2psi before leaning out with the 210cc injectors. lol. They'd be close to too small if I was running NA. The 12b on there now will only do maybe 260hp, so once i get the Blue Oval 370cc's in there it should be about even. Once the super 70 goes on it'll be time to rethink things again though. hehehe.
Nitrous too? geez. You're going to need tubs man. You could always bump the compression to 10.5:1 and run alchohol and still do 21psi. hehehehe. That may make it harder to insure though....
Old 01-09-2003, 06:14 PM   #34
gtlover
One Weird Old Trick

:eek: wow...just plain wow. :shock: That's wild, man. Makes my fantasies of a GroupA clone pale by comparison. Glad to see some more tech info and pics, John has really been holding out on us!
00 V70R "Tusenårsfalken"
09 Volvo C70 T5 "Old Blue"
11 Honda Odyssey Touring "Penelope"
80 Dnepr MT-10/36 "Jenny"
09 Genuine Buddy 150 Blackjack "Jack"
78 Honda CB750F Supersport
volvo_bass@hotmail.com
gtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:21 PM   #35
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlover
:eek: wow...just plain wow. :shock: That's wild, man. Makes my fantasies of a GroupA clone pale by comparison. Glad to see some more tech info and pics, John has really been holding out on us!
As a former girlfriend used to say from a whole bunch of years ago: "Keep 'em wanting more......." Heehee. JL.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:33 PM   #36
oppositelock
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug242ti
Oh man, I am EXCITED now!

...and afraid to be on the track at the same time...

:eek:

Doug

You should be afraid, be very afraid! The last time John had the Monster on a road course was at the IPD meet at PIR 2 or 3 years ago (it's all a blur...) We put the big sway bars on it and lowered it down and borrowed some worn out road racing tires. I've got a picture from that event I will put up in the photo album. It's not an action shot, though. Anyway, John, who is not a road racer ended up taking home a trophy for the fastest lap time, even beating out all the "real" road racing cars.

Just keep in mind if you are hoping to go for a ride with him at Thunderhill that he spun out twice at PIR, once at the end of each straightaway.:eek: (you have to slow down for the corners, John, just remember that.) Being a rally driver he of course did not stop but got the car pointing the right direction and continued on.

-Dave Clark
Old 01-09-2003, 06:44 PM   #37
oppositelock
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLane
The secret is out Dave........And to think that you did that to the poor guy in the 911 turbo with 6 (count 'em SIX) pounds of boost. We now run the thing to 15 lbs of boost and may do the reprogramming for 20 or 25lbs of boost before thunderhill. Hmmmmmmm..........The Volvo will have the Powerstroke intercooler in it for that event too. Oh---Dave....What you doing the last weekend of April? We gotta go and be silly in California with the Volvo. JL.
See, I told you guys he was completely incorrigable.

Sounds like a plan, hope it doesn't conflict with a rally. I'm always on board for scaring the tourists!

You want some help installing that Powerstroke intercooler? No, I mean it, you WANT some help. I can just imagine John installing it:
"Let's see, a little cutting torch here, a hammer to move this headlight out of the way, a few tie wraps, perfect!" J/K, I told you I was on here to bust your balls! :P

-Dave Clark
oppositelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:00 PM   #38
oppositelock
Board Member

Quote:
Nitrous too? geez. You're going to need tubs man. ....
No, I think the nitrous is for him, not the car... :yikes:

The TO4 will handle 20 psi, dunno if everything else will. I definitely have reservations about the current fuel delivery system at that boost level. Starting with the injectors and working back.

Never mind the fact that I guesstimate the flywheel horsepower at that boost would be rapidly approaching 1,000 hp. You think I'm joking, but I'm serious. Using 504 ft/lbs at the wheels as our known quantity that conservately calculates to well over 600hp at the flywheel, and that's at 11 psi boost. Of course, we won't know anything for sure until we get it on a chassis dyno again and do some real horsepower runs, so it doesn't mean a lot to throw numbers out right now.

-Dave Clark
Old 01-09-2003, 07:17 PM   #39
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppositelock

You want some help installing that Powerstroke intercooler? No, I mean it, you WANT some help. I can just imagine John installing it:
"Let's see, a little cutting torch here, a hammer to move this headlight out of the way, a few tie wraps, perfect!" J/K, I told you I was on here to bust your balls! :P

-Dave Clark
**** John must hang around with kenny alot then! :wink: :P
Old 01-09-2003, 07:41 PM   #40
Anonymous

I wish i could get that much out of mine haha the link for the pics is down :(
Old 01-09-2003, 08:02 PM   #41
oppositelock
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ft lbs OMG!
I wish i could get that much out of mine haha the link for the pics is down :(
The site was down for maintenance, it's back up now. I just added two more pictures, including of the Monster in road racing trim at PIR a few years ago.

-Dave Clark
Old 01-09-2003, 08:53 PM   #42
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

Doug, it's not so much a case of him thinking like me, or vice versa. It's a case of great (mildly insane) minds thinking alike.

And agreed on the 1000hp Dave. That was the number going through my head when i mentioned the alchohol but at 20 he'd be getting close ya.
I suspect he'll gain several psi without touching the wastegate by installing the powerstroke.

Powerstroke is no biggie. I could always drive down so he could use my car for a sample.

www.pbase.com/capnbondo<-- (my powerstroke install)
Old 01-09-2003, 09:07 PM   #43
gtlover
One Weird Old Trick

ok, that's it, when I become independently wealthy I'm building my own SPE and doing top speed runs. Next time some Swede says "I've got a 300 HP redblock, ya sure youbetcha" we can say "We've got a crazy Yank with a 1000HP V6!" Heck, that's ONLY 350 HP/L.

Of course, that'd be like a 700HP 4-banger...
gtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 03:38 AM   #44
oppositelock
Board Member

Quote:
Doug, it's not so much a case of him thinking like me, or vice versa. It's a case of great (mildly insane) minds thinking alike.

And agreed on the 1000hp Dave. That was the number going through my head when i mentioned the alchohol but at 20 he'd be getting close ya.
I suspect he'll gain several psi without touching the wastegate by installing the powerstroke.

Powerstroke is no biggie. I could always drive down so he could use my car for a sample.

www.pbase.com/capnbondo<-- (my powerstroke install)
Good gawd that is effing huge!! :yikes: No wonder John had to have one! 1000hp here we come! Well, I dunno if that's really possible but it's a worthy goal, no? The Renault Formula 1 car in the '70's used a relative of the same basic engine. It was 1.5 liters (as per the rules) had an iron block and 4 valve per cylinder heads. It had a huuuge turbo and ran something like 30psi boost and put out 1500hp in qualifying trim. So it's not out of the question.

I suspect, though, that John may need to chop a couple of cores off the bottom. That thing hangs down to low for a rally car. It hangs down below the skidplate. John will bash that in the first time he goes in a ditch. :uhm:

-Dave Clark
Old 01-10-2003, 03:40 AM   #45
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

lol, when Patrick and I looked at one, thats the same thing we said. Probably fit fine besides that imo.

I'm sorry I LOVE this emoticon: ROFL, I wonder if thats what my gf thinks I look like!

Doug
Old 01-10-2003, 04:53 AM   #46
Obeharskad122s
Board Member

Re: ground clearance...

What about installing it on a positive rake angle? keep the full intercooler, just tip it (top pointing toward the front of the car, bottom pointing towards the rear of the car) and cut some fatty louvers in yer hood. Such is my plan.

[WARNING: HORRIBLE ASCII ART TO FOLLOW]

[code:1:ffc9ff13d6]
[ ______ _____// ]
[___/ \ ______________/ \_]
^ Intercooler radiator sandwich

[/code:1:ffc9ff13d6]
Old 01-10-2003, 07:47 AM   #47
Obeharskad122s
Board Member

Oh yeah...John Lane and/or Dave Clark. I'm going to be in the Seattle area the 17th through the 21st, I'd love to see this beast of a car. And perhaps beg a ride in it?

Obeharskad122s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:53 AM   #48
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeharskad122s
Oh yeah...John Lane and/or Dave Clark. I'm going to be in the Seattle area the 17th through the 21st, I'd love to see this beast of a car. And perhaps beg a ride in it?

Your timing is very bad. I will be in Mexico as of the 17th of January.
Perhaps another time. I'll be thinking of driving really fast as I paraglide in Mexico and drink lots of Tequila whilst working on my suntan. The suntan makes it so that when other competitors have to see my butt it does not blind them with the reflection from their driving lights at night. JL.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:35 PM   #49
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppositelock
I suspect, though, that John may need to chop a couple of cores off the bottom. That thing hangs down to low for a rally car. It hangs down below the skidplate. John will bash that in the first time he goes in a ditch. :uhm:

-Dave Clark
Dave.......Just got done poking around under the hood with the tape measure......I will get to find a new home for the horns, but otherwise it will hang down exactly the same as the Saab I/C as has been in there from day one; that I have by some manner of miracle not managed to bash up. We DO know how I like touring the ditches. 8)
Ya-All ready for THIS?? LOL.
JL.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:58 PM   #50
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

Yeah, it looks like it's hanging down further than it is when there is no bumper on the car- kinof an illusion. It actually doesn't go lower than the bumper, or much lower than the K member for that matter.
I may make a sheetmetal skidplate for mine, but I don't plan on rally racing the wagon anyways, it's strictly a pimp mobile/ego deflater/womanizer.

I looked at angling the IC, but you have to angle it a lot to get any significant "shorteneing" effect, and accessory belts and etc start getting in the way real fast. My setup is actually nice and clean once everything is back in place, it gets lots of airflow, and not structural issues. Works for me. I also had to can the horns- and hood latch assembly for that matter.

Shure would be cool to build one of those V6's. I like my 4 banger though... I take issue with how expensive it all is. Heck I'm having a hard time funding a really basic 4 banger project so i have no illusions of grandeur.... maybe as a long term project though if I can make the 4 banger hold together for a few... years. lol.

I guess the thing is though, if you put the real cash into it and make it bulletproof, then you can bag on it. I'd hate to becomine one of these folks who build insanely expensive crap and then never flog it or have fun with it for fear of a failure. If you guys start getting close to 1000hp, that's a whole different league man-I'd be thinking about converting. I can practice my manifold creation and tuning skills on the "disposable" 4 for now.
In a gutted out wagon with lots of fiberglass.. you'd own the import drag scene...

Are the premier heads/cams stock?