• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Modded 940 turbo cam choices

Skyshadow

So I've done a number of performance mods to my 940 turbo over the years and now I think I want to put in a better performing cam as I still have the stock one. I want one that would work best with the mods I've done to the car as well as will work well in the future if I decide on going with an even bigger turbo than I currently have. My mods are as follows:
Angled flange 16t currently at 15psi (I haven't gone to 20psi yet)
3 inch angled flange downpipe with no exhaust currently
Bigger 012 maf with a 3inch intake pipe I made and an AEM dry flow filter
Volvo blue 395cc injectors
TLAO ignition and fuel chips
Aftermarket transmission cooler
AW71 accumulator mod

So that the basic list of what I've done so far. I want a cam that's going to give me more power but I'd also like a more aggressive lopey idle. I've been looking at the obvious IPD turbo cam but have also run across old posts saying the Kg2T cam is very good too so I'm looking for opinions on both as well as any other cams that may even be better. I was also curious on three things:
First: do I need to worry about shimming after I install a different cam? I've read a lot of posts but people rarely talk about it and it doesn't seem like it's really needed from what I've read so far
Second: Do I need to get an adjustable cam gear? I've read about people advancing or retarding timing with them but I've seen a lot more posts saying they don't really use them.
Third: Does installing a performance cam make the engine interference? I've read conflicting things on that.

So yeah that's basically it, I'm hoping I can get some helpful insight so I can make up my mind. Thanks everyone.

First, Yes.
Second, No but it is good to use the adjustable gear to help enhance lower rpm torque. Helps with an automatic.
Third. A small price to pay for more performance.

I also use and recommend the V15T. For more performance the V16T is great.

Some head flow work will help you take even more advantage of the mods you have done.

So I've been hearing about the v15 and v16t cams but from what I've searched for there doesn't seem to be anywhere to buy them?

I've also recently come across the KL racing cams, the T2 and T3, they seem pretty decent from what I can find and they aren't that expensive but from the small amount of info the website offers apparently I need to buy 2.5mm or 3mm lash caps and install them with the cam? That's the first I've heard of doing that in a b230. I'm assuming the lash caps are easy to install and just go in the place where the husher would normally be?

The only slight difference in the IPD turbo cam and the enem V15T is the lobe angle. IPD used to say the lobe angle on their cam is 110 degrees. While the enem cam is 112 degrees. Both will work fine but the lobe angle is more suited to a turbo engine at 112.

I have a KL racing T2 in my b230ft, it has a nice powerband with a t3/t4 and an m46 with 4.10s, but I think it'll be underwhelming with an automatic until you get the revs up, at which point the 16t might start holding you back as well

So I ended up going with a kl racing T2 cam. I also bought a drop in kl racing intercooler for my 940 because apparently it's a huge upgrade from the factory intercooler. I'm excited to see how this will affect my performance when I've got it all in.

So I ended up going with a kl racing T2 cam. I also bought a drop in kl racing intercooler for my 940 because apparently it's a huge upgrade from the factory intercooler. I'm excited to see how this will affect my performance when I've got it all in.

It will make a huge difference in engines character. It will be more like rev-happy engine.
Ps. did you remember to order 2.5mm lashcaps, it will need those.

If not, i think that many speedshops have those lashcaps at 8mm shaft size and 2.5mm long.

It will make a huge difference in engines character. It will be more like rev-happy engine.
Ps. did you remember to order 2.5mm lashcaps, it will need those.

If not, i think that many speedshops have those lashcaps at 8mm shaft size and 2.5mm long.

Yes I purchased 8 of those 2.5mm lash caps along with everything else. I'm currently trying to figure out where I can get or rent a shim kit from to have on hand when I have to measure and reshim to set the correct valve lash. Also gotta buy a new feeler gauge and a decent micrometer.

Where are you? I have saved all the shims i encountered over the years, and keep them in a tray with compartments. Maybe someone near you has done the same.

Enem V16. Don't be a pussy.

I know those are good but I'm not about to drop 5-700 + overseas shipping on just a cam. I'd much rather spend a chunk of money like that on going to a bigger turbo along with getting the new lines and downpipe fabricated for it.

Where are you? I have saved all the shims i encountered over the years, and keep them in a tray with compartments. Maybe someone near you has done the same.

I'm in connecticut. I was trying to find the kit ipd used to rent out but it seems it doesn't exist anymore.

.......I was trying to find the kit ipd used to rent out but it seems it doesn't exist anymore.

and so it goes, for the redblock tractor engine. With my IPD Turbo cam, I had no chance to achieve the proper clearances using a bucket full of factory shims..... I suspect they used a different base circle; from memory, all my shims needed to be thicker than what I had available. FCP Groton (Euro) used to sell shims by the piece..... you could measure, buy, wait, then install and you'll be good to go. Be sure to get the angle tip feeler gauges, unless you like misery.

Unless FCP Euro no longer has stock..... :-(

Last edited:
I assembled an extended shim kit (34 sizes vs. 25 and 5 of each size vs. 4) with tools, lash caps, hushers and solid dowel pins with the intention of renting it out but the deposit required makes it prohibitive. I sell individual shims for $5 each.

ShimKit&Tools.jpg

V cam

Good old V cam is a very nice cam imho.
P.s. shims as in lash caps goes under the bucket.

I've got a Folkrace regrind open turbo cam for sale:

Lobe angle 114
Duration: 265
Lift: 11,6
With lashcaps.

So make me an offer =P

Last edited:
Back