home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #1
mschultz373
Board Member

Default no brake, back-up lights

i am not getting any brake or back-up lights on my 94 940. Fuses are good. not getting any bulb failure indicators. bulbs are all good.

Voltage at brake light with pedal depressed is like 134mV, where the runners and turn signals get like 3-4V. So I assume the stop light switch at the pedal is bad?

I am less sure what's causing the reverse light issue. I hard wired my 240 lights to eliminate the flimsy circuit paper and its issues, but the 940 design seems more solid. so I assume that the issue must be the switch underneath the shifter?

thanks for any advice/confirmation. appreciate yall
mschultz373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Got a test lamp?

Got a diagram?

Access the bulb failure relay connector and check circuits there. Or fire a relay at the problem. Its round and red.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #3
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

You can connect the two wires at the brake pedal to bypass the switch and see if the brake lights work. If they do then it's your brake light switch. For the reverse lights it's probably the neutral safety switch. Or the wiring under the car may be degraded or broken. You can try moving the shifter just slightly while in reverse and see if the lights come on. You can do this key on engine not running. Then you'll know the issue is the neutral safety switch.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote