home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2021, 11:49 AM   #1
G-Tech 940
Board Member
 
G-Tech 940's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default Front End Clunk when turning steering wheel either direction

I am getting a clunk in the front end. It sounds like its happening just on the other side of the firewall (strut tower maybe?) but I can feel it through the steering wheel.

It happens when I turn the wheel.

In the front end I have replaced;

-Conical bushings with Poly

-Control arm rear bushings with rubber

-Sway bar end links, I kept the original links but replaces the rubber hat bushings.

-Ball joints on both sides

Last night I made sure that all of those bolts from those replacements were all tight, especially the sway bar end links as I have had a similar issue solved by this on my Subaru.

Other than the strut tower potentially being the issue, the only other thing I can think of would maybe be the power steering rack. I had a loose clamp on the end of one boot that needed replacing, so maybe it lost a bit of grease?
G-Tech 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:36 PM   #2
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante
 
redblockpowered's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In bed, probably
Default

U-joints in the steering shaft, perhaps?
__________________
1993 944 B230FT/M90 thread here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=345277
2x 1991 245 B230F/M47 (LeMons car, street car)
I sell chips for LH 2.4!
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
2manyturbos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monroe, OR USA
Default

It could be sticking upper strut mounts. The mounts on my 940 stick and then pop loose. That makes the spring wind up then release. I have experienced this with many 7-9 series cars.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
G-Tech 940
Board Member
 
G-Tech 940's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
It could be sticking upper strut mounts. The mounts on my 940 stick and then pop loose. That makes the spring wind up then release. I have experienced this with many 7-9 series cars.
Thank you, is there any way I could verify this before replacing the mounts?

Do you think it would cause a safety issue if I did not replace the strut mounts this summer?

It could probably use shocks and struts all around, but I won't have the money to do that this year.

Thank you!
G-Tech 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:55 PM   #5
2manyturbos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monroe, OR USA
Default

The easiest way to tell isn't necessarily easy. Take the wheels off, pop the tie rod loose from the knuckle, try to turn the strut. I have seen these mount so gummed up I could barely turn the strut by hand. Power steering will turn them even when they are that bad. You can probably tell just by raising the front end and trying to turn the front wheels one hand on each side of one of the wheels, key in the on position, engine off. When the mounts are good, that takes some effort, yet, once the rack starts to move it is easy to keep the momentum going and turn the front end.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:33 PM   #6
G-Tech 940
Board Member
 
G-Tech 940's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
The easiest way to tell isn't necessarily easy. Take the wheels off, pop the tie rod loose from the knuckle, try to turn the strut. I have seen these mount so gummed up I could barely turn the strut by hand. Power steering will turn them even when they are that bad. You can probably tell just by raising the front end and trying to turn the front wheels one hand on each side of one of the wheels, key in the on position, engine off. When the mounts are good, that takes some effort, yet, once the rack starts to move it is easy to keep the momentum going and turn the front end.
Thanks very much. I'm doing the brakes on all 4 corners in the next few weeks with parts I bought last year, so I will check it out then.
G-Tech 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:02 PM   #7
johfraser
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Francisco
Default

If you can make it happen with the car stationary maybe someone could feel around with their hand and locate the source of the clunk.
johfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #8
Mr. V
Board Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon metro
Default

While I would agree that the strut mounts / bearing are the likely culprit, take a look at where the inner tie rod attaches to the rack: over time the tolerances widen and get sloppy; not sure though whether the result would be a clunk or just slop.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:09 PM   #9
2manyturbos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monroe, OR USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
While I would agree that the strut mounts / bearing are the likely culprit, take a look at where the inner tie rod attaches to the rack: over time the tolerances widen and get sloppy; not sure though whether the result would be a clunk or just slop.
When turning it can make a loud popping sound when the tire grips and lets loose. Especially backing up.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:19 PM   #10
Janspeed
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Default

if you have the tools to remove the springs you could remove and disassemble the struts, take out the topmount bearings, clean them properly using some sort of grease solvent and pack those bearings with new grease. That'll make the top mount rotate very easily like new.
IIRC you can pop them out of the perch dish and open the bearing up (orange plastic cap IIRC) for cleaning out the old grease/grime.
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.