• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wrong oil

lionhearted

Good Morning, just wondering if I?ll be ok for 5000 miles? I accidentally put 5/20 Full synthetic oil in my wife?s 2013 xc90 3.2 instead of 5/30. Or should I dump it back out now. Which I hate to obviously or maybe go 3000 and dump it? Thank you. It?s got 90000 miles.

It will probably be totally fine, but given the cost of doing it right, I would change it out. Reason being is that the engine is designed with bearing tolerances designed for 5w-30 oil. A simple drain and fill with 5w-30 will be enough, and it's basically like you accidentally "flushed" your system. It should be REALLY clean now.

Back in ~2014, my girlfriend took her GS300, 2jzge engine, into Toyota for tires and an oil change. It had 220k miles and they must've put 0w-20 or something it in because it was the noisiest I've ever heard the engine. I changed it out with a 10w-30 and it was quiet as could be again.

must've put 0w-20 or something it in because it was the noisiest I've ever heard the engine.

I suspect hydraulic lifters created the noise...not enough oil pressure, so they were quacking.

At 220k miles, oil pump would not produce enough pressure with a lighter weight oil.

Back