• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HELP! Car Dead on Freeway

ocrazy

I was driving on the freeway yesterday at about 50mph, alll of sudden the car died on me. Pulled over to the side. All fulses ok, but just wouldn't start again. It happened few times in the past at low speed and I was able to re-start the engine. But not this time, had it tolled back home. Glad I have AAA memebership. Any idea where I shoul start to dignose?

It's a 83 245T, it's got a used main pump few weeks ago, in-tank pump was ok, new v-belts.

Thanks for your help.

Casey

I had this happen two weeks ago. I think it is easier to diagnose if you are paying close attention right before it the car dies, but when you are not expecting it that is hard to do. My rpm's were as solid as they had been for a few weeks which is what caught my attention. When it died it dropped to zero. The car was still on though not 'running', and being turned over since it was in gear and the clutch was not in yet.
Anyways, it was the coil. I swapped out with another to test and the ran great. So I got a new one and have not had the problem since. Hope this helps.
You could check you fuel pump relay like PWRPUFF said. That usually will do it.
Good luck

Do the basics: check for spark and fuel.

SPARK:
When cranking does the tachometer needle move at all? If not it might indicate an ignition problem. Pull a plug (or preferably have a spare on hand) and with wire atatched, jumper or touch to ground the ground electrode of the plug and while cranking verify spark is present, should be strong and not yellow. If not,make sure all connections at the coil are in good shape, and verify you are getting power to the #15 (+) terminal of the coil with the ignition on, and that the hall sensor and it's wiring are good.

FUEL:
Jumper fuse #5 & #7, this will run the fuel pumps regardless of the igniton switch position.
For reference: http://www.threefattigers.com/Protocore/Volvo/FuelPumpJump.jpg
You should hear both pumps running. If during a no start event jumpering the fuses gets you going, you likely need a new fuel pump relay.

If still not starting, being a turbo it's hard to get starting fluid sprayed into the intake, so try some carb cleaner through one of the vacuum ports while cranking. If it then tries to start and run, you have a fuel delivery problem which could be a number of things that are best sorted out with a Kjet fuel pressure test gauge. Barring the test gage, you can pull off the boot from the above the air flow sensor and with the fuel pump fuses jumpered, lift up on the air flow sensor plate, you should hear the injectors singing as fuel is passing through.

Make sure there is power to the frequency valve, sometimes these cars will not start if this part of the lambda-sond system is not working. With the ignition on there should be 12V+ present in one of the contacts of the plug for the freqency valve.

I took off the boot on top of the air flow sensor and put some gas on the senor plate and tried to start it. I started for few seconds until it ran out of the gas I put in. Look like a fueld delivery problem.

The car is parked on the street now, about 100 yard from my house. Where I live, it's not allowed to repair you car on you driveway, let alone on the street. Guess i have to tow the sucker to my mechanic.

Thanks for all you help.

FUEL:
Jumper fuse #5 & #7, this will run the fuel pumps regardless of the igniton switch position.
For reference: http://www.threefattigers.com/Protocore/Volvo/FuelPumpJump.jpg
You should hear both pumps running. If during a no start event jumpering the fuses gets you going, you likely need a new fuel pump relay.

If still not starting, being a turbo it's hard to get starting fluid sprayed into the intake, so try some carb cleaner through one of the vacuum ports while cranking. If it then tries to start and run, you have a fuel delivery problem which could be a number of things that are best sorted out with a Kjet fuel pressure test gauge. Barring the test gage, you can pull off the boot from the above the air flow sensor and with the fuel pump fuses jumpered, lift up on the air flow sensor plate, you should hear the injectors singing as fuel is passing through.

Make sure there is power to the frequency valve, sometimes these cars will not start if this part of the lambda-sond system is not working. With the ignition on there should be 12V+ present in one of the contacts of the plug for the freqency valve.[/QUOTE]

Back