• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Random thread - how loud is your system?

K

k_dj4u

Ok, so here it is, and tell the TRUTH!! We all know that one 12 inch sub won't hit 170 dB. So anyways how loud is your ride? If I put my 4 18's in my car, which I won't cause I don't have the room, i've had the cops called from some old lady 3 miles away complaining that the music was to loud, 3 MILES AWAY!!! imagine how loud that would be in a car. But at the same time, these are my badest of the bad DJ subs which cost about 650 bucks a pop. These would win me some comps, but I just don't have the power or room to get them going in my car :crying: and by the way, what do you think of this van lol

what i'll say about the van is this... overkill

you only need so much sound. so you can knock squirrels out of trees 2 blocks away when the bass hits. so what? as long as it sounds good thats all that matters to me.

THANK YOU!!! Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't need 2000dB to blow my eardrums out! Yeah, I want a sub to actually hear the bass whlie I'm driving but the head unit alone works GREAT for now (Alpine 9813 with Pioneer D690R 6x9's and stock front door speakers).

I agree with you guys on this one. I think that a system should sound good without subs. If your system depends on subs to sound good it isnt a good system in my eyes.

Yes! A pair of quality 6x9's, an amp <100watts and some upgrades to the front door speakers is all that is needed, imo.
True audiofile quality sound is a flat response across the entire frequency range of the music, not emphasized bass. It should be an equal balance of trebble and mid's. This isn't too hard to achieve given a well made pair of main full range speakers like the Alpine R's which run crossovers to tune the balance. It is most difficult to reproduce the bass and it requires the most power, but even the most demanding home audio system needs only a few hundred watts to do this precisely. At home I have a pair of Ohm's and a Marantz reciever that will out do any car system out there with about 60 watts.

had to add to what you all have said...

From where I stand, I have my car in stereo mode, with my pioneer 6x9s hooked up to my amp and my stock fronts are pretty much blown. I do have a sub, but its in a box under my bed. The best stereo we have was given to us for free. Its two floor standing JBL speakers I believe with a 150w/channel amp thats out in the barn for my dad's workshop. If you want to hear something play, crank that bad boy because the sound stays consistantly clear in all volume levels - 3 blocks over at like 1/4 volume it sounds like a concert @ my house.

You definately do not need lots of power to produce great sound. Thats the moral of this post.

Back