Old 01-09-2014, 04:10 AM   #426
cosbySweater
Board Member

Hug it out people
1995 Porsche 993
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #427
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
yes, because I made that direct correlation between those two things.

not enough people stroking your ego for you, so you needed to do it a little yourself there?

I am not discounting your work or though process at all, but doug making an LS swap sound like the easiest thing in the world is not okay.

I apologize. I just don't find them interesting for the most part, probably because I built firebirds for long. I got into Volvos and their motors simply because you can't just order all the parts from jegs and bolt them on. I enjoy the challenge and certainly this build is more challenging than the average LS/sbc/sbf/whiteblock/16vT swap.

Ok, have we got that out our system yet? I'll prune this thread in a day or so.
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #428
Poik
Backwards Turbo

Any redneck with a stick welder can build a chassis. It takes some high quality engineering to do an engine swap such as an LS1.

Eric Olsson's 242 Turbo | 245 DL | 744 Turbo
Poik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #429
atrokz
super cage design genius

JB weld.
92 245 DL WAS NOT TO BE -RETURNED FOR ZERO SPACE
91 745T RIP
94 850 NA RIP
95 850R GONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Rob Ford was Canadas greatest president
atrokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #430
Daviticus
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poik View Post
Any redneck with a stick welder can build a chassis. It takes some high quality engineering to do an engine swap such as an LS1.

I want to read about a racecar, not the downies talking about LSx superiority.
Go read performance subforum for like a month.
Daviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #431
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Jeez, what did I start?

For the record, I consider myself friends of the Buchka's (I still owe them favors for carrying an axle in their lap on a plane ) so I had to bust their balls a little and most everyone knows how die-hard redblock and 240 I am.

I do still stand by my half serious thought of this car losing some of it's 240 soul, but it may have lost that a long time ago when it was decided to become an engineering test bed for these 2 crazy fukkers.

Since you 2 are having so much fun, why not work on some aero improvements also? Real chassis aero? How about a blown diffuser?
If you are going to be stupid, might as well be completely stupid.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #432
RvolvoR
Board Member

this forum needs a like button.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #433
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
Jeez, what did I start?
Dammit Tuff240!

Oh and this build is B-A-N-A-N-A-S.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #434
Turbeam
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poik View Post
Sure, anybody can 'build' a chassis. The whole point in doing this in the majority of cases though is to make something that works better for its intended purpose than the original could, and this is usually closely tied with the new suspension design. The suspension pivot points etc are crucial to its success and must be arranged on the new chassis from thev outset.

You do not simply throw together a tubular chassis, chuck some knocked-up suspension parts at it and expect it to work, a huge amount of design input is required even before the first tube is cut.

So yes, anyone can build a chassis, but building one that works really well is certainly not childs play.

An engine/ drivetrain transplant might at times take a fair bit of thought to get around the odd installation problem , but overcoming these hurdles is all part of the fun. I've lost count of the number of major engine transplants I've carried out over the years (usually big cube motors into very small cars), but none have come anywhere near to the complexity of the suspension redesigns on a couple of chassis I've built.

For anyone to even question this, or compare it to a drivetrain transplant, to me just highlights the fact that they aren't fully aware of exactly what is involved in designing a proper race car suspension system from scratch.
Turbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #435
Råda
Volvoretard/Partshoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbeam View Post
Lots of text
Pretty sure it was a joke.

And on topic; This car is insane. I really like this and can only dream of making something like this happen.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #436
Turbeam
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Buchka View Post

Assembled the starter and mounted it to the bellhousing with the correct lash:

AH, so the starter motor is being mounted behind the block, I did wonder what the square section on the new belhousing was for. That will give loads of room for exhaust manifolding at therear of the block. Are you going to have a removable access panel or box above the transmission tunnel then?

Just one thing, which may sound stupid, and I've probably missed some of the fine detail on the parts being used, but are you using a starter motor from another engine with a different direction of rotation, or have you been able to reverse the motors polarity in some way or something?

Surely otherwise a stock Volvo V8 starter motor would be trying to turn the engine over in the wrong direction?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #437
2fast242gt
Do you have a cobalt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I apologize. I just don't find them interesting for the most part, probably because I built firebirds for long. I got into Volvos and their motors simply because you can't just order all the parts from jegs and bolt them on.
Your right. You can't order the parts from jegs. Instead its rsi, sam,selhol sten parner ect. I think the 16vt swap is much easier than an ls swap having done both. Its easy to make an opinion for somthing you never have done first hand.
2fast242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #438
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviticus View Post

I want to read about a racecar, not the downies talking about LSx superiority.
nothing was said about lsx superiority. reading comprehension, people.

furthermore, I would compare this as a "volvo build" to a NASCAR/stock car(which I have worlds of respect for, they do amazing things with more/less simple setups). Yes, they look somewhat like the cars they are supposed to be, but almost nothing is shared with the production vehicle.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #439
Trevor+
Volvo Friends

Quote:
Surely otherwise a stock Volvo V8 starter motor would be trying to turn the engine over in the wrong direction?
That is the orientation of the starter in the car that engine came out of.

I wish people would shut up with the whole there isn't enough volvo left to call this a volvo thing. If you've got a problem with this build just stay in the thread for the red block powered 242 that the Buchkas are building simultaneously.
Trevor+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #440
Trevor+
Volvo Friends

Quote:
I apologize. I just don't find them interesting for the most part, probably because I built firebirds for long. I got into Volvos and their motors simply because you can't just order all the parts from jegs and bolt them on.
Eventually all the cars at carshows will just be different bodies with chevy small blocks and mustang II suspension.

That is my idea of the 9th circle of hell.
Trevor+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #441
Homer
OEMplus++

Quote:
AH, so the starter motor is being mounted behind the block, I did wonder what the square section on the new belhousing was for. That will give loads of room for exhaust manifolding at therear of the block. Are you going to have a removable access panel or box above the transmission tunnel then?

Just one thing, which may sound stupid, and I've probably missed some of the fine detail on the parts being used, but are you using a starter motor from another engine with a different direction of rotation, or have you been able to reverse the motors polarity in some way or something?

I think I can answer that without them getting mad at me.
It's a double reduction reverse mount starter from a Nascar app.
Need something TIG welded? Give me a shout.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #442
pwschuh
Rolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
I think I can answer that without them getting mad at me.
It's a double reduction reverse mount starter from a Nascar app.
Buchka's starters also have a fully synchronized dual clutch solenoid operation. Just because they can.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #443
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast242gt View Post
Your right. You can't order the parts from jegs. Instead its rsi, sam,selhol sten parner ect. I think the 16vt swap is much easier than an ls swap having done both. Its easy to make an opinion for somthing you never have done first hand.
You guys are really taking this too far. I've done lots of v8s in my life and lots with Volvos since. When I started with Volvos there was no RSI ect. I'm pretty sure my ten year+ history here shows I'm pretty supportive of everyone's projects.

Again, my point was this may barely qualify as a 240 to some, but there is no reason to dog the project, just like the general attitude around here is any swap is fair game. Further more, I was trying to compliment the ambition and difficulty involved in this build so far not insult everyone who chooses a different path.

Pats follow up comment basically describes how I feel. If you want to do an LS swap you won't catch flack from me, it's just not my bag. If you think tube chassis removes a 240s soul, that's fine too but let's leave the ****ting people's projects threads to rest. This is how they choose to build the car and unless (this goes for all project threads) there is something grossly unsafe they are doing or the posters ask for our views...let's leave the critiquing out.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #444
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Quote:
You guys are really taking this too far. I've done lots of v8s in my life and lots with Volvos since. When I started with Volvos there was no RSI ect. I'm pretty sure my ten year+ history here shows I'm pretty supportive of everyone's projects.

Again, my point was this may barely qualify as a 240 to some, but there is no reason to dog the project, just like the general attitude around here is any swap is fair game. Further more, I was trying to compliment the ambition and difficulty involved in this build so far not insult everyone who chooses a different path.

Pats follow up comment basically describes how I feel. If you want to do an LS swap you won't catch flack from me, it's just not my bag. If you think tube chassis removes a 240s soul, that's fine too but let's leave the ****ting people's projects threads to rest. This is how they choose to build the car and unless (this goes for all project threads) there is something grossly unsafe they are doing or the posters ask for our views...let's leave the critiquing out.
Color me impressed when someone turns a 244 into a space shuttle, Doug

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #445
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harribert View Post
Color me impressed when someone turns a 244 into a space shuttle, Doug
I would be too.

Bah. I'm impressed with anything in here, frankly anyone building any volvo instead of crushing it impresses me.

(I'll clean this thread up Karl/Alex tomorrow night).
Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #446
Turbeam
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor+ View Post
That is the orientation of the starter in the car that engine came out of.

AH, I didn't realise that. I do know that one of these engines mounted transversely in something like an XC90 must be very compact to allow for exhaust manifolding space, and positioning the starter motor above the gearbox therfore makes a lot of sense.

I have never seen a Volvo V8 installation in the flesh, and in fact I can't remember ever seeing a starter motor positioned like this on any car.

It looks like it will require some special access arrangements to be made for it when the engine is turned through 90 degrees and mounted in a 240 though.

The photo may be deceptive, but it looks like a normal large bodied starter motor in it? Normally reduction geared starters only need small bodied low torque/ high speed motors with a larger pinion nose end to carry the reduction gears. This can be very handy when mounted against the block in the normal way for obvious reasons, but space above the gearbox in an XC90 shouldn't present such an issue.

Is this arrangement common on NASCAR engines then? It looks like it would be a good idea on other tight V-engine installations as well, but unfortunately I don't believe that the FIA-MSA K37 regulations would permit such a thing to be done in orther forms of motorsport.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #447
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
AH, I didn't realise that. I do know that one of these engines mounted transversely in something like an XC90 must be very compact to allow for exhaust manifolding space, and positioning the starter motor above the gearbox therfore makes a lot of sense.

I have never seen a Volvo V8 installation in the flesh, and in fact I can't remember ever seeing a starter motor positioned like this on any car.

It looks like it will require some special access arrangements to be made for it when the engine is turned through 90 degrees and mounted in a 240 though.

The photo may be deceptive, but it looks like a normal large bodied starter motor in it? Normally reduction geared starters only need small bodied low torque/ high speed motors with a larger pinion nose end to carry the reduction gears. This can be very handy when mounted against the block in the normal way for obvious reasons, but space above the gearbox in an XC90 shouldn't present such an issue.

Is this arrangement common on NASCAR engines then? It looks like it would be a good idea on other tight V-engine installations as well, but unfortunately I don't believe that the FIA-MSA K37 regulations would permit such a thing to be done in orther forms of motorsport.
yes, a lot of circle track cars use this type of setup for the starter:
http://www.quartermasterusa.com/qm/b...sings-kitshtml
Old 01-26-2014, 01:54 AM   #448
westcat
Board Member

just picked up on this amazing build +1 for sure. Being a minion doing a 230ft swap for the first time, threads like this are like crack ;) keep it up!!!!
80 242GT Project money pit #2
87 RX7 turbo II - 666 rwhp project money pit
95 854T gone
83 GLT first love and long gone
westcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #449
TerribleOne
ZoomZoom

I like the square tubing idea. Looks good.
93 965- For sale
91 940SE- Roller, for sale

TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #450
Canadan
Board Member

Buchka brothers, amazing work, good job guys. I think Asher just hates racecars
Canadan is offline   Reply With Quote