• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Small oil leak on oil cooler

Fa182

Stage 1
1997 945T

Very quick and probably silly question.

Whenever I'm under the car, I always see that the coolant lines to and from the oil cooler sandwich plate are moist with oil. It's not a lot and doesn't really drip but I want to fix it someday on the next oil change.

I just want to understand where the leakage could be, it could only be the gasket (no. 5), right? Or worst case, the surface where the filter mounts to the sandwich plate is somehow damaged or not sealing 100%?
I always mount the new filter with some of the old oil on the gasket, so that should be right.

The arm that mounts to the block itself is dry (no. 4).

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 10.17.09.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 10.17.09.png
    172.1 KB · Views: 137
Two parts go wrong :
"8" got loose by removal of the filter
"9" the plate gother deformed by over tidened filter (s)
I've never seen a damaged gasket "5"

Good luck, buy a new set of coolant hoses, Kay

Its a good idea to change the "5" seal anyway. If the heat exchanger have rotated any bit while removing or tigtening the filter, it probably seeps. I changed this on a 940, and now its leak free and dry there. I found some corrosion and unevenness (baked on oil) on the aluminum surface where the "5" seal seals, so i scraped it and sanded it carefully concentrically (fine grit, around 400), making sure nothing gets in the oil channels.

Not really rubbery gasket:
20190225_172523 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Much better:
20190225_184020 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Yuck:
20190226_192308 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Much better:
20190226_202128 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Last edited:
Noobish question, just because I don't know.

I just very recently (2 months ago) changed the oil, so my question is: I can unmount the oil filter without draining the oil and not be left with a stream of oil pouring out (other than the oil left in the filter), yeah?

Noobish question, just because I don't know.

I just very recently (2 months ago) changed the oil, so my question is: I can unmount the oil filter without draining the oil and not be left with a stream of oil pouring out (other than the oil left in the filter), yeah?

You can, the filter location on the block is way higher than the oil level, so its not a problem.

Except for your' car. Which will dump the oil that is in the block above the oil filter. The oil filter has an anti drainback valve so everything above the oil filter will still have oil for startup. This will drain out for a bit while you are starting to work on it. It won't be a lot of oil but enough that you will want to top up after finishing.

attachment.php

Anyone have part #s for #4 & #5, IPD was no help.

CarQuest got me those o-rings with no problems using their WorldPac Catalog.

#4 is round profile Green and #5 is square profile Black if I remember. Get new #3 while at it.

Back