• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1997 940 b230fk 300hp help?

lorcand20

i recently bought a 940. after reading alot on here ive decided to try to hit the goal of 300hp
these are the things i need correct if wrong
3 inch exhaust
bigger intercooler
bigger injectors (what size and where would i find?)
chip(who can i buy this from?)
bigger turbo(19t? what size is this in a garrett)
ipd Turbo Performance Camshaft
3inch amm (where would i find this?)
walbo 255 fuel pump
mbc

im new to tuning volvos so any help would be much appreciated.

250 won't be enough, you'll want moar!

TLAO chips can be bought here, just post in the wanted thread
3" maf is the 012 from a 960

You need everything in your list and JohnV forged internal, t5 conversion, wideband o2 and your firstborn child to pay a mechanic for labor.

Post your build progress in the projects thrrad!

will the 13mm rods not be ok? i have a m90 gearbox it should last a while. is there anyone on here that would sell a cam?

will the 13mm rods not be ok? i have a m90 gearbox it should last a while. is there anyone on here that would sell a cam?

Rods are weak sauce, buy JohnV kit.

M90 is weaksauce without 3rd gear mod and new clutch.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=94325
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=319573

Cams are sold per request in the wanted ads, or im internet.
https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artikla...40_945-960_965/motor-48/ventiler-5/index.html
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/6214/109328-turbo-performance-camshaft

Post build thred and pics or it didn't happen!

Last edited:
stock internals will be fine for 300rwhp, as long as you don't plan on using a tiny turbo and making diesel torque low down in the powerband.

A stock clutch is garbage, but the transmission itself is more than capable. A '97 m90 should already have the three piece syncros and an updated design of the stop ring. Shift gears like a normal person and this is not a problem.

Stock rods can certainly handle 300 whp, the main question is can they handle a few minor tuning issues along the path that leads to 300 whp? Ping ping boom, they're tougher than skinny rods but they're not that tough. If you're spending a bunch of money in getting a 300 hp motor, tossing a set of $300-ish h-beam connecting rods is good insurance, along with new rod and main bearings.

Forged pistons are also another good idea. If you make some bad tuning choices and hammer the hell out of the engine with detonation, they are more likely to bend than to break. Far better to tear down a motor because it's losing compression (shattered top ring) than it is to be rebuilding from scratch after the bottom end let go in a big way and scattered bits of metal all over the road.

You need everything in your list and JohnV forged internal, t5 conversion, wideband o2 and your firstborn child to pay a mechanic for labor.

Post your build progress in the projects thrrad!

Bunk - stock rods are fine
Bunk - AW71 is fine
Bunk - Paying a shop to do this for you? :gtfo:

Bunk

sorry for interferring: will the IPD turbo cam support 300 hp ?

Yes; plenty more too.

Stock rods can certainly handle 300 whp, the main question is can they handle a few minor tuning issues along the path that leads to 300 whp? Ping ping boom, they're tougher than skinny rods but they're not that tough. If you're spending a bunch of money in getting a 300 hp motor, tossing a set of $300-ish h-beam connecting rods is good insurance, along with new rod and main bearings.

Forged pistons are also another good idea. If you make some bad tuning choices and hammer the hell out of the engine with detonation, they are more likely to bend than to break. Far better to tear down a motor because it's losing compression (shattered top ring) than it is to be rebuilding from scratch after the bottom end let go in a big way and scattered bits of metal all over the road.

Yes

im a mechanic so doing all the work my self. im going to order the ipd cam is there much advantage getting the adjustable pulley? still dont know what size of turbo and injectors om going to use? ive sent few pms and put up a wanted add for the chip so just waiting on a reply.ive seen a few 940s with a inter cooler that sits infront of the radiator does anyone know what this is out off?
thanks for all the info

All 940 turbos have intercoolers that sit in front of the radiator. Isuzu NPR (turbo diesel commercial cube trucks) have intercoolers that practically slip into the spot vacated by a stock top tube Volvo intercooler. Not the later style mid-tube intercoolers (where the air inlet/outlet is around the middle of the intercooler).

Injector sizes will be governed by whatever your chip is set up for, if you're not doing the tuning then you'll have to stick closely to the hardware that your chip is tuned for.

Or get a programmable ECU and then you can use whatever hardware you want to use.

Back