• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1993 960 front brake calipers will they work?

gattigang

put you on ICE
I've search and it mentions Jumbo brakes but it mentions 940's but not specific to 960's calipers. I would like to upgrade my 1988 745t to larger calipers and rotors. Will the larger Girling calipers and rotors from a 1993 960 fit on my 88 745t? Input appreciated. Thanks :cool:

g@ttigang

i just did the 11.0x26mm swap this sunday night after watching the redskins get humiliated by the cowboys. you need the brackets that mount the caliper, the calipers, and the discs. if you have dual line front calipers as it is, you will need to grab 2 plugs from FCP groton (theyre 2.50 each) to plug up ports on the MC and junction block. see more here: http://brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/Brakes.htm#UpgradingOlder7XXBrakestoLater9XXJumboBrakes

I've been over to the FAQ, where there is an article about brake upgrades, but is there somewhere that I haven't found yet a systematic list of which cars have which brakes? I have a 1991 16 valve 745GLT (UK spec, with ABS) and I think it already has large-ish brakes but I faded them into oblivion a couple of nights ago - I was in a hurry at the time, on public roads, so that is not too clever - pedal was firm but no stopping power, so it wasn't boiled fluid.

I have new front discs and pads - volvo part number for discs 1359908-9.

Does anyone know what size these are, what 7/9 series cars mght have bigger or better or what my other upgrade paths are.

the brakes i put on are "BIG" brakes, and come on 940s here in the states. BIG 1 piston calipers and 11.0"x26mm thick. Measure yours and get back to us. There are also the factory "JUMBO" brakes which are 11.25"x thinner than 26mm :-)-P) (i think its 24mm).

Which are better? Jumbo's or Big brakes? Billy you mentioned you installed the BIG brakes, I just bought a pair of Jumbo's and 2 rotors, would I still need the brackets to munt them on my 88 745t with ABS? I finished reading the link you posted and something in there mentioned it was installed on a 88 764 and it sounded like to was complete bolt-on .... nothing mentioned about brackets. Sorry man it's too late for me to be poking under car and I'm pretty beat. Let me know so I can go out in the morning and nab some brackets from the local PNP yard. Thanks man. :cool:

g@ttigang

the brakes i put on are "BIG" brakes, and come on 940s here in the states. BIG 1 piston calipers and 11.0"x26mm thick. Measure yours and get back to us. There are also the factory "JUMBO" brakes which are 11.25"x thinner than 26mm :-)-P) (i think its 24mm).

backwards.... the Jumbos are the large Single piston sliders with the 11.0"x26mm rotors, the BIG brakes are the 11.25"x 22mm.

jumbos getting there name due to the 26mm thickness. there only 7mm less diameter then the stock 287x22's most turbos got (all here) and better warp resistance due to greater metal mass/larger coolering duct of the thicker disc.

my mistake

so far though, my car stops and hits me in the back so hard it feels like a freight train. i can't wait to try and fade these puppies on the track.

my 90 turbo and 87 780 both had the 11.25 disks, the 90 has girling calipers and the 780 has bendix calipers, both ABS. both stop great, but the 90 is a lot better with the crosdrilled in the rear too and the ceramic pads from ipd. also, dont for get ther are a few different sized rear caliper pistons you can get to even out your brake bias

You know gatty you could buy a set of stoptechs + 6.3mm spacers from me and put them on zee wagon ;-)

(they probably wouldn't fit under gemini's though)

Yeah I was thinking about that but in honesty the Gemini's look nice on the wagon and I don't think I want to change the look. Possible though I may just play around to see what wheels look good, I just need to find time since I'm still working on the white wagon. :cool:

g@ttigang

Back