home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Bricktothefuture
Board Member

Default M46 clutch spring too firm

I've been reading up on clutch springs today - some people recommend removing them, others say that can kill your bearings pretty quickly and make extra noise.

Is there a middle ground? I have an early M46 in my '79 and after a few minutes of stop and go traffic my leg feels like it's going to fall off. Has anyone tried a different size spring, am I missing an adjustment, etc? I've got around 1 inch of free play right now if that matters.
Bricktothefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
2manyturbos

That small clutch fork spring isn't the issue. I have encountered 240 clutches that seem very stiff while others are easy to hold the pedal down. I have a feeling it has to do with how thin the disc is. It changes the geometry as the disc wears.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
Bricktothefuture
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
That small clutch fork spring isn't the issue. I have encountered 240 clutches that seem very stiff while others are easy to hold the pedal down. I have a feeling it has to do with how thin the disc is. It changes the geometry as the disc wears.
Makes sense. New clutch 8k miles ago. Just feels like it REALLY pushes back against the pedal.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
2manyturbos

Pop that spring off for a day and see if you notice any difference. I don't think you will. You won't hurt anything experimenting.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
Bricktothefuture
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
Pop that spring off for a day and see if you notice any difference. I don't think you will. You won't hurt anything experimenting.
Will do.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
quillc
yv1a.com

I have been running without a spring for years without an issue - almost 200k now.

The spring added a LOT of additional resistance for me. Removing it made the car much more comfortable to drive.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
hiperfauto
Board Member

Early cars have 2 return springs. One on the pedal pulling it up and one on the fork pulling the t/o bearing away from the pressure plate. Later cars only have a spring on the pedal and it pushes the pedal down toward the floor.

Considering how much spring pressure there is on the clutch, I don't see how either of those springs could have much of an effect on the pedal pressure. It's more likely that the clutch cable is binding. What type of cable do you have?
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:12 PM   #8
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland

^this.
Either the original metal sheath cable is completely worn out and about to snap or it has a horrible plastic adjuster thing that’s probably worse than an OE cable nearly ready to snap many times.

That said, the flat flywheel cars have a little stiffer pedal feel than the dished flywheel cars.
It shouldn’t be terribly fariguing to drive either per se but not super light either.
Late dished flywheel cars are really pretty low effort.
If you send me $20 I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
Bricktothefuture
Board Member

Took the spring off this AM and drove 30 miles in to work. A few things...

You can immediately feel where the spring was working - the pedal used to bounce all the way back, now what used to be the "free play" is loose/limp until you actually engage the cable. My '79 doesn't have the extra small spring on the pedal for whatever reason.

There's a -slight- reduction in the effort needed to move the pedal.

Harder to shift into 2nd. All new-ish bushings on the shifter and cage.

I swear there was a slight clutch smell the first few times I shifted - things sitting differently without the spring?

The cable in question, installed in August and oiled beforehand - https://www.ipdusa.com/products/7214...utch-cable-240 It isn't binding, nice and smooth. Just, you know, really firm...

I'll try a few more days but will most likely put it back on. Only a pain in stop and go traffic, which is unfortunately a part of my life again.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland

Plastic adjuster cable...there’s the problem...
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #11
VB242
Grr baby, grr

Go to the gym, the F250 manual transmission service truck I drive is way stiffer than even my Southbend clutch. I used to drive an F450 MT , double disk clutch, and that made my knee hurt.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
77volvo245
Board Member

firewall panel maybe cracked or weak around the cable goes through the petal

77volvo245 is offline   Reply With Quote