• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Would Acetone work to fix cracks in a floormat?

Rensi's are crap they crack after just a couple years.

Then just buy them again for that price?At least ipd is still trying to keep our beloved cars on the road.

Or spend $140 shipped for a 30 yr old oem set in wanted that will crack as soon as the weather changes.

It can probably be plastic welded but then its going to look like it was plastic welded(if you don't car about looks then more power to ya). Someone out there in tb land has a decent floor mat. You just have to wait till then. I've sold singles or pairs of floor mats so its definitely possible.

Beg in wanted for one?

FWIW the driver's mat is the problem piece of the puzzle.

Yeah I'm begging there.
i also saw a posting for a set of four with the PASSENGER side mat cracked, so I PM'ed him. But he wanted $100 for the set of four and hasn't been on in months. We'll see what happens.

I could probably take a RHD passenger version and chop off the top with a dremel if that's cheaper.

It can probably be plastic welded but then its going to look like it was plastic welded(if you don't car about looks then more power to ya). Someone out there in tb land has a decent floor mat. You just have to wait till then. I've sold singles or pairs of floor mats so its definitely possible.
I care about the looks, but I care about not having my car's body rust through more.
If only as a stopgap measure, I'd love to somehow weld it.

ipd sells repops?
$39.95 too much cheddar for OP? Too easy?Not period correct OEM for muh $700 rust hooptie?
what's the excuse this time?
I would prefer for my mats to match, tbh, but I will keep those in mind. They're a bit pricey if they are as fragile as the consensus seems to be. My mat cracked because of my own stupidity in a sleep-deprived state (I banged the mat on the concrete to get ice off... No, I didn't think before I did it, that's why I did it).

My car was $500 plus $200 for aluminum 740 GLE wheels. But it's actually really clean for a midwest car, and I just had the rocker panels and a fender replaced so there isn't much rust on it anymore. That's also part of why I have no money. It was cheap because it leaked oil and had bad synchros and had no AC or stereo when I bought it (previous owner just clipped his cables rather than using a socket).

Yet you have $20 to waste on a gallon of acetone?
If past experience is anything to go by, I won't need a gallon. You don't want to use much acetone or it'll just make things worse.

And $120 > $20 last I checked.
I also might try the soldering iron thing someone mentioned, I've used it in my car before to good effect.

And that p-tex thing looks cool.

Last edited:
Update:
Acetone did not work to weld the floormat back together, but a soldering iron appears to be working so far.

If the mat didn't sit perfectly flush on the floor of my car, it'd have snapped apart again by now due to me not melting it from the top as well as the bottom, but it's holding for now.

I decided I liked the idea of duct tape, too, so I duct taped over the melt-weld I made just in case there are holes or it cracks again.

Click the images for full resolutions.

Back