• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1973 1800es Wiper Motor Substitute?

DStarratt

Has anyone substituted a more recent wiper motor for one in an 1800? The guys at the electric motor shop couldn?t figure out what?s wrong with the motor from my 1800 and it?s going to be a challenge finding another one. Thought I might try something newer and more available like a wiper motor from a 240, if I can find something I can make fit.

If it is truly the electric motor that has a problem and not the mechanical linkage, then the motor can usually be rebuilt (damaged laminations usually make rebuilding impractical unless you have $$$$$$). Rebuilding / rewinding will not be cheap, especially if the commutator requires repair.

Electric motors are not particularly challenging devices. If the guys from the electric motor shop can't figure out why the motor doesn't work they are either incompetent or didn't try. There are a number of companies that provide restoration / rebuilding services for electric motors for classic & vintage cars. Just check on -line.

The late 140/164/240/260 wiper motor doesn't mount the same, so you can't bolt 1 in.

I might have a good used wiper motor for your 1973 1800ES, but I would like to try to fix yours 1st.

Willing to let me try?

Sounds good. I’ll let you know what I hear from the shop. Last I heard they’ve could not see what the problem was and couldn’t put the motor back together. That’s a bad sign. Ha.

Back