• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850T Overheated!

ct850T

having a bad day today... My 95 850T blew out coolant this am - literally blew a crack in the top that screws on the coolant overflow tank. I didn't get any warning lights until I saw steam... Is it possible the top failed or should I be looking at a water pump/belt/thermostat issue (assuming the top failed due to too much pressure to begin with). Any other areas to check out that can cause high coolant pressure? I am now at the mercy of a local garage and would like to know what to expect.

It might have been a bad cap...
I recently traced a really bad oil leak back you the cap. If that can fail for no apparent reason, I'm assuming the coolant cap can to. :e-shrug:
If I'm wrong, some one please correct me.

I would have to agree, the cap is part of the pressure system and if it had a stress crack it would steam just like a bad hose would...besides, it's TONS cheaper than a new water pump :lol:

Problem solved by replacing the cap and thermostat. Not sure which happened first - I never got an indicator light or temp gauge go up until I saw steam so I suspect the cap broke first and the boilover damaged the stat. My recommendation is to carry an extra cap in the car as $10 insurance.

Back