• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Urgh. Overheating 240

ICantDrift

I've got a bit of an overheating issue with my B230F. It overheats at 5000rpm+ (or bouncing off redline if it's sideways in the rain), but cools down during normal driving, then heats back up, cools down, and then heats back up again. The coolant reservoir is about halfway full (between the two marks) and I just put a new genuine Volvo thermostat in from FCP like a month ago, I thought that I just got a bad unit but I'm not sure. And other thoughts? Thanks!

Another thing to consider, are block/s in other areas like heater core

(* I think that's what is going with my 240 wagoon, as the water pmp/thrmstt 92c is 1 year old, radiator is Nissens 3 core, that was checked out. But there is still a possible flow issue)

** 5,000 RPMs eh ?

Fan belt is tight, harmonic balancer seems fine

The harmonic balancer is actually two different pieces of steel...the inner hub and the outer pulley.
They are bonded together with a rubber cushion (bushing).
This controls vibration.
This rubber bushing must transmit all of the torque on the front output pulley of the engine (crankshaft.)......water pump, alternator, air conditioner compressor, power steering pump.

If that rubber bushing fails, the outer pulley will slip and not transmit any driving force for these components.
It might not be obvious to the eye, and sometimes will only slip under higher loads.....like higher engine RPM.

If you already knew this, I'm just trying to help.
If you didn't, mark the pulley with chalk both inside and outside of the two hubs and see if there is any movement between the halves of the balancer.

Hope this helps

I like the slipping harmonic balancer idea the best.

Timing could be off also. Cam or ignition. Bouncing it off the rev limiter a lot you could have skipped a tooth on the belt possibly.

Back