• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

painting engine

240sleeper

im about to paint my engine and wanted to hear the process you guys have used. did you strip the factory paint off, or just scuff it? if you stripped it, what was the process and products you used? what paint did you use? clear coat? how did it hold up? also did you just paint the block? paint the head? paint the intake? thanks!!

Just degrease thoroughly, then scuff with a wire brush and knock loose stuff off. I use engine primer and engine paint, it is made by several companies.
Don't paint the aluminum stuff, just the block and oil pan.

Chevy orange paint.

KvrK6Ull.jpg

I think people will want to know how stripped the engine is currently. Is it just the block? Out of the vehicle? How nice do you want it look?

I think people will want to know how stripped the engine is currently. Is it just the block? Out of the vehicle? How nice do you want it look?

it is a shortblock at the moment, about to do all gaskets and then slap the head on after paint. Id like it to look as nice as possible, but its not a show car/trailer queen

Just clean it(remove all grease). Once I get it pretty clean, I do a pass through with wire cup brush. Tape of front of engine and paint. No primer needed unless you really want to.

Pretty much what I do. Really straightforward.

holds up pretty well. Makes the block easier to clean long term. The paint under the alternator always seems to peel first for some reason.

As with all good paint jobs, 95% Prep and 5% actual painting. For most redblocks at this life stage, you will most likely degrease and wash multiple times. Give every inch, nook and cranny a good scuff job. While you are doing that you will most likely find a bunch of spots that could use another degreasing. you can also use Aircraft Coating Remover (grab some at your local parts store. you brush it on the remaining paint and it will bubble up, and you can scrub it off. Once you are satisfied with your prep, move on to High Temp Primer (If you choose) and High Temp Paint. The feeling afterwards is worth the time. Cheers!

^ This 100%. Once you think you got all of the grease off do it again! As the engine is out of the car it should be easier to do a better job and better, longer lasting results.

Grease is what will cause the paint to look like poop, so making sure the block is as clean as possible is key. Lots of great engine paints available in can form. I have never used a primer but if you are painting over existing paint, it may be wise to use a hi temp primer in order to seal the existing paint and provide a fresh surface for the new paint.

Back