• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

project '82: 760 16VT swap (picture heavy)

Ok, seems like I get some compressor surge...
I have the black Bosch CBV, a used one... but I installed it correctly.

What can I check? Vacuum line to the CBV, and what more?

I have a question about the boostcontroller vacuum line routing

DSC00805.jpg

IIRC the 'top' hose on the boostcontroller goes to the inlet for the turbo, and the 'bottom' middle one goes to the inlet manifold ?

Can you confirm this? or is it the other way around? VADIS doesn't show it..

I found this a few weeks ago, and you see that the conection after the compressor a narrow part has, you need to look closely in the pic

tcu_kleur.jpg

I think I connected the hoses correctly, also because the system seems to work fine. But it's a good idea to check it again.

You never know.

I was asking because I'm working on another b204, and the guy messed up all the vacuum lines ;)
But thanks for the info !

About the compressor surge.. you mean you have a 'pigeon-sound' when you let off the gas ?
Or true compressor surge ?

I was asking because I'm working on another b204, and the guy messed up all the vacuum lines ;)
But thanks for the info !

About the compressor surge.. you mean you have a 'pigeon-sound' when you let off the gas ?
Or true compressor surge ?

surge for a very short while when closing the throttle, not when driving normally. we'll try another Bosch cbv, its hit or miss with junkyard parts (esp the Bosch cbv's).

@jw240; you could PM ticcie on volvolvo I think he has a new bosch cbv laying around he isn't using...

thanks! i'll do that.
We checked the cbv and it doesnt hold vacuum, doesnt move etc. now using the cbv that I got from Chad, but that one was destined for my car haha.

When are you planning on going to the RDW, pass the tests and hit the road? btw, did you receive the brackets i sent you?

Ok,

found out the the used CBV was broken. Tries the one from my brother, and that one works. Still not perfect I think, but better. I'm ordering a better one this afternoon....

Current problem: Floor it and @3500-4000 it seems like the CBV can't hold the boost (or boost kicks in too fast?) and it opens. Resulting in a car that suddenly loses power.
Is this possible? Im going to order a new CBV anyway, with a few different springs with it... hopefully that will solve it??

I also got some new silicone hoses for turbo inlet, mounted the gauge cluster correctly etc.
New oil is in, better wiper arms etc.

Bought a NAW kit
DSC00886.jpg

Nice and small board
DSC00887.jpg

I want to install it pretty soon, just to check engine is running ok.

And I've been to the RDW to get the new engine approved (make the car street legal).
Next thing is to get the car ready for MOT etc.

@Sander: I got the plates for mounting the second sway bar, thanks!

Bit bored today, do started to clean the PZ cams....

They are in very good condition, but the salt water/air caused quite some rust where the cam sticks out of the cylinder head...

DSC00953.jpg

Pretty thick layer of rust:-(

After I used rust solvent, and used some 3M abrasive pad (really carefully) it looks like this:

DSC00951.jpg

DSC00952.jpg

Most important is that the seal doesn't damage when installing it I guess, there are still traces (little ''potholes'') on the surface, but that's not where the seal is....

But... can I try anything else to make it look better?

Media blast the rust out of the pits, weld it up and chuck it in the lathe to finish it off. The pitting is beyond the sealing surface and should be fine though, also that part of the cam is only visible with the cam gear off or the cam removed from the head so it wouldn't even be noticeable when the engine is assembled.

Media blast the rust out of the pits, weld it up and chuck it in the lathe to finish it off. The pitting is beyond the sealing surface and should be fine though, also that part of the cam is only visible with the cam gear off or the cam removed from the head so it wouldn't even be noticeable when the engine is assembled.

Thanks for the advice! I'll leave them like this for the moment, like you say, and probably never look at it again. It is indeed beyond the sealing surface, so it will be fine.

Installed the plastic inner fenders from a 740. Looks nice, and hopefully will prevent my car from corroding away;-) These ones are for the rear wheels, front wheel arches will follow in the next days...

DSC00954.jpg

Interesting:-P

In the wheel arch
DSC00955.jpg

Since I wasn't really convinced about the correct functioning other used Bosch CBV, I ordered a new one one ebay last Sunday. Got it on Tuesday and looks nice. I think it's called piston type(?) and you get a few different springs with it.

DSC00957.jpg

I installed it today and also checked the Bosch one I took out, and this one appears to be broken as well....:roll:
I checked it before I installed it, but it probably didn't last very long....
I hope this one will work better, need to go on a test drive tomorrow...

Installing the NAW wideband:)

Soldering the display
DSC00994.jpg

Tadaaa
DSC00995.jpg

Display driver
DSC00996.jpg

I thought a while about the place to put the display in the car and thought about putting it above the indicator thingy...
I got a U-profile of aluminium and started cutting....

DSC00999.jpg

Got some red perspex to make the display better readable etc. and it holds the unit in place
DSC01002.jpg

This is the idea:
DSC01006.jpg

And I didn't like the alu look, so time for some paint...
DSC01007.jpg

Result of paintjob
DSC01011.jpg

Random resultpictures
DSC01013.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

Looks way better
DSC01017.jpg

In the car, cellphone pictures sorry...
DSC01018.jpg

DSC01020.jpg

Overview with the alu box for the electronics, almost done. Just a few wires to go
DSC01022.jpg

Also fixed some water drains in the trunk and some other stuff

great build.
i wish i could come up with the means to do something like this some day.
Alas, just regular maintenance to keep my cars running for now. :boink:

Thanks

Made the wire for the Bosch LSU sensor today.. found some nice wiring loom stuff from a bmw

DSC01029.jpg

And 99% done now, so I'll test it tomorrow and fit it if it works ok

DSC01035.jpg

I now also have a M90 in the garage for the 760:) Thanks again for bringing it with the Sprinter Peter!

I have decided to swap the M46 when it breaks, and I don't expect it to break any time soon.

Last edited:
Back