• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Smell of burning oil.

own6volvos

He who controls the Spice
All the time I always come up toa stop, and I just start smelling burning oil. Smell is coming from the front of the car, but the smell never goes away. I would have thought if something dripped out.. that it would burn off rather quick?

I am not burning oil inside the engine, all that is top notch, and my oil level doesn't budge and it doesn't drip on the driveway. My flametrap is new, and all the vacuum tubing is hooked up correct. This smell has been there for maybe 2-3 months. Could it be that since I don't have a engine fan anymore... the smell just accumalates in the engine aby.. then when I come to a stop it just smell worse? :???:

I might check your exhaust pipes for oil.. I found some oil that had run down the exhaust from an old oil leak. Doesn't usually smell, but I'm sure it gets hot enough to cook.

Just a guess, but it's worth a look.

-justin

The auto in my olf 244 used to drip a bit of fluid onto the exhaust system just under the car sometimes, not always, just when it felt like it.

well... the oil pressure sender bushing adapter leaks between it and the engine. crap gasket. That must be leaking down and burning

My m46 transmission splutters ATF on the downpipe and it sure reeks.

If yours leaks... go to the dealer, and grab a new seal. I just picked one up today for mine, cost me 12 bucks for it. I could get one off the net for 3.44.. but those are the older manterial.

Kevin

Back