• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vancity Volvos

image.jpg

Weird but cool spot. I may be having a car delivered that day, but hope it will be later in the day so I can still make it to SSSSSS. If not, at least I'm the most expendable member of any swap team.

As the second most expendable/flakey I may not be able to attend in favour of some LoL-related thing my friend is bringing me to

Thanks!

I have a severely stationary '89 245 with some sort of hard start issue which I can't explain. Feels like I've exhausted all options but clearly there's something I've overlooked. Anyways, skip the annoyance, I'm still happy turning wrenches but I'd like to go for a drive one of these days!!!?!?!? :roll:

Anyways I'll figure it out. Hope to meet some of you guys soon!

$10 on
Fuel pump relay

Hogwash and fiddle sticks, you have no excuse! Come down and say hi. We will likely be there all day/evening/night hah.

P.s. I got another $10 on the fp relay.

Depends on the actual issue, but yeah, failing fuel pump relay is a prime candidate. I got really good at listening for that "ping" sound and the result hum of fuel pumps when it was dodgy in the Fridge.

M.

$10 on
Fuel pump relay

Fuel pump relay has been checked and rechecked way early on in the diagnostics stages. I've gotten to the point where I took the fuel rail off the intake with the injectors still attached, stuck 'em in four bottles and cranked to make sure they were firing while cranking, that one wasn't stuck open/closed, etc. All checked out fine in terms of what the naked eye can see.

Spark is there, check that way too many times as well. Compression is 'reasonable' (~145 across iirc on a +T). Someone mentioned starter may not spin crank fast enough? Doesn't seem like it's cranking slowly at all but anyone had any experience with this being an issue?

FYI generally starts on starter fluid and when it does continues running w/o issues.

New (known working) fuel pump relay installed and tested with no change in results.

In terms of grounds, I can't say I've gone through and cleaned all of them but I did go through the Bentley bible troubleshooting table listing continuities and resistances and stuff and didn't come up with anything significant.

In the mean time, purchased some silicone hoses from do88 and just waiting for hose clamps to arrive before I install. Old ones were in laughable condition so just eliminating the unmetered air side of things (or attempting to).

Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated.

If you have fuel and spark that doesn't leave much. Weak battery, had it happen where bad battery would crank the car but not start, or jumped timing belt. Did you move plug wires by accident to wrong order?

Been there and done that. :lol: Starts, runs for about a second, dies.

Unfortunately not that either. Labelled all before removal as I've done that before too :lol:

It's just a very strange hard start issue. When cranking, it will occasionally sputter but continue cranking as if nothing happened. A shot of starter fluid (per ZVOLV's thread) into the intake hole where the little vacuum hose for the FPR is connected generally convinces the old tractor to spin up. Once it does, it's fine to run under it's own power, regardless of revs, load, etc etc.

Currently running with no belt covers during diagnosis and can confirm timing is not an issue.

Is this LH 2.2 or 2.4? 89 was the switch over year in a 240 wasn't it?

If its LH2.2, and you've confirmed the distributor is in properly and properly timed. have you verified the outside of the crank pulley hasn't moved? The bond breaks and the outter ring with the timing marks will move. So you set timing to the wrong spot. Might explain the hard start but Ok running once running.

Back