• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Injector compatibility

intothelabyrinth

I'm having bit of a leaky injector problem in the 1989 245 n/a. Hot starts are bitch, only after sitting a little while. The injectors in it are the yellow tops. I have set of black tops from an 86 245 n/a I could throw on there, anybody know off hand if they would be compatible?

Pull them and leave the mm on the rail. Put a paper towel under the injector tips to see if they drip. You can pull the vacuum line with it running just to make sure it's not the fpr.

I'll look at the #s tomorrow. I guess it's the difference between lh 2.2 and 2.4. Everything I look up shows different part #s for 86 and 89, so my guess is that I can't just swap them, but I was hoping someone would know for sure.

185cm/3 b230f lh2.4 280 150 762

Check the resistance of the injectors. If they are the same then you can swap them. I put b234 injectors on a 83 b23 over 20years ago and they worked fine. You could try yellow injectors out of a 850 na or 960. They will work and have a better spray pattern. Yellow 0-280-155-746 208cc

Sweet, thanks! I'm going to pull those injectors for an inspection later today, and if I have a leak I'll swap in the known good injectors with new seals! I feel pretty good about my diagnosis as I have been daily driving this car and have had time to study it's symptoms. I replaced the FPR when I first got the car, since it had a fuel smell in the vacuum line. The car will always fire right up when cold, sometimes with a telltale puff of black smoke out of the exhaust. Now that it is summer and quite hot if I drive the car at all and stop, say for gas, or whatever... When I come back to try to start it it will crank and crank and crank, and eventually start followed by the smell of raw gasoline and black smoke that clears up almost instantly. I found that if I open the throttle while cranking in this condition it will help to get it started. When started it always runs like a top. On one particularly hot day I had to disable the fuel system, crank for a good 30 seconds, re-enable the fuel system, and then it fired up. The reason I suspect a leaky injector instead of the coolant temperature sensor is because when I shut her down hot, I can immediately crank it up and she fires right up, it takes a few min of sitting (leaking) before she is flooded and hard to get started again.

Check the flap in the air box and make sure it has the hot air port blocked. Also make sure the air box is sealed properly on the bottom. The dirt and heat can kill the maf. Do you have any codes stored? Only use Bosch copper plugs no platinum

Pulled the injectors yesterday afternoon right after driving, and put some small baby food bottles under them. I ran the pumps a bit and then shut it down and waited about 15 min. I smelled gas and sure enough one of the injectors had leaked down enough gas to make a small puddle in the corner of the jar. I cleaned up the old injectors I had, put new seals on, and installed them into the car. It fires right up now with just a bump of the ignition, no matter hot or cold, or after I leave it sitting for 10-15 min hot... success!

Back