home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #126
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

As of two nights ago, I HAVE AC!!!! I was really nervous that the 1993 R134 system I put in the car would have issues, but Gary offered to vacuum and charge the system, So I swung by his place Wednesday night and we took a lash at it. (Peep that Sportwagon )

The system vacuumed down to 26 inches and sat there for about half an hour with the pump off, so he proceeded to measure out and fill the system with the appropriate amount of refrigerant. We fired up the system, and it cooled for a minute, then warm air out of the vents. After racking our brains and a couple phone calls, we were confident the system worked, and were hoping for air flow issue. Sure enough the heater control valve doesn't turn off all the way, as soon as I clamped the hose shut the vent temps dropped immediately. Success!

This was after a short drive from Harbor Freight at 90 degrees ambiant (to buy this dumb thermometer) I am going to help Gary with a project at his house, and if we have time I'm hoping we can throw the gauges back on to verify everything is G2G.

My new heater control

I also ordered all new silicone heater and radiator hoses, a STS machining SS pass through, and also an Europartshouse heater valve kit (that hasn't arrived yet)

Truthfully, The "build" stage of this car is winding down. I plan to continue finalizing my aluminum door card file, and work through a couple bugs here and there. I would also like to really clean the engine bay, I'm not going crazy shaving and whatnot, but cleaner, fresh paint on some stuff. Also the blower motor is noisier than I would like, and that may need to be changed sooner rather than later. I would like to find some very light window tint to cut some UV and such. But we shall see.

Last edited by Uncleknucklez; 06-29-2018 at 05:17 PM..
Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #127
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Stupid work proxy, pics are blocked.

Just a heads up, might dig around for reviews on the heater valves. I know there's been some of the aftermarkets that are junk. David Saumels does have ones that actually hold up. I was going to mention tomorrow but since you've already ordered...
Mick Starkey aka TrickMick 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin aka blue850t5 7/19/18
Nick Fengler aka fengler 8/6/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #128
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Stupid work proxy, pics are blocked.

Just a heads up, might dig around for reviews on the heater valves. I know there's been some of the aftermarkets that are junk. David Saumels does have ones that actually hold up. I was going to mention tomorrow but since you've already ordered...
Bummer about the pics, but you were there. lol

I ordered this retrofit valve, hoping this is the last one I will put in this car.

http://europartshouse.com/index.php?...f051653d2d1645
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo-240-heater-valve-1348252-9131998.jpg (143.8 KB, 309 views)
Old 06-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #129
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

That's a good replacement, no plastic in that valve. I also have that in my car.
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #130
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

I have had that valve in my car for 4 years. Probably the least troublesome aftermarket part in it.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #131
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Honestly, I don't follow the 240 valve scene much, 140 is slightly different and I have a NOS valve in the stash anyway. lol

We can definitely throw the gauges on it tomorrow, see how it looks.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:51 PM   #132
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
Bummer about the pics, but you were there. lol

I ordered this retrofit valve, hoping this is the last one I will put in this car.

http://europartshouse.com/index.php?...f051653d2d1645
I might be the only one that finds this valve not so worky worky. With hear complete off and valve closed I still get 140º+ ambient heat out of the vents with blower off.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:15 AM   #133
122power
dude

if you really want to get rid of the residue heat inside you need a 4 port heater valve, or maybe a 3 port. I would put it in the engine bay. This way the coolant doesnt dead head and can still flow. Ive seen some on the 90's suburbans with rear heat and can install a switch to have it open close via engine vacuum. I was going to do this to my 245 but never got around to it. There is a lot heat that comes in even though its closed.

Last edited by 122power; 07-12-2018 at 11:09 PM..
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #134
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

I haven't done the hoses yet, it's too damn hot out to even wash this thing.

I did pick up a roof rack for my bicycle last night and met a cool Volvo guy in the process. Drove from Sac to Livermore roughly 2 hours, and drove over the Altamont Pass, 100 degree outside temps, A/C cranked, the car never missed a beat. Thanks Mark!

Vent temps still ripping at 100 degree ambient Envirosafe ftw!
Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #135
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Glad to hear it's still rocking Chris! Brought the wagon back to town monday after work, same deal, getting around 45* from the vents with the fan turned up high.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #136
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Glad to hear it's still rocking Chris! Brought the wagon back to town monday after work, same deal, getting around 45* from the vents with the fan turned up high.
Nice man, The best thing that I did was re-wire the 940 two speed relay, the Saab temp switch now controls the high speed, and the AC pressure switch controls the low. Seems to be alright for now.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #137
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Quote:
I also ordered all new silicone heater and radiator hoses, a STS machining SS pass through, and also an Europartshouse heater valve kit (that hasn't arrived yet)
I bought very similar silicone 940T hoses for my 242+B230FT, and had a persistent leak at the lower radiator hose (right at the radiator). I thought it was due to overtorquing the hose clamp so I got pissed at it and replaced it with an OE Volvo rubber 940T hose. But now that leaks too in the same place. Either my radiator is tweaked or the hose won't seat properly due to the way I had to cut and shorten it to make it fit the 240. Just a heads up, and wondering if you have had any issues there.

I'm still envious of your working AC...nice job getting that sorted out.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #138
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
I bought very similar silicone 940T hoses for my 242+B230FT, and had a persistent leak at the lower radiator hose (right at the radiator). I thought it was due to overtorquing the hose clamp so I got pissed at it and replaced it with an OE Volvo rubber 940T hose. But now that leaks too in the same place. Either my radiator is tweaked or the hose won't seat properly due to the way I had to cut and shorten it to make it fit the 240. Just a heads up, and wondering if you have had any issues there.

I'm still envious of your working AC...nice job getting that sorted out.
Oh boy

I have yet to dive into the hoses, water is my nemesis, I don't even work on plumbing in my home. I am really not looking forward to this, but I am looking forward to a flush and refill.

I will keep an eye on the lower hose for sure, mine currently weeps around that area every once in a while as it is.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #139
122power
dude

Sometimes if you have the plastic radiator it has a small crack on the base of the neck by the tanks.

Last edited by 122power; 07-12-2018 at 11:11 PM..
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #140
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
Sometimes if you have the plastic radiator it has a small crack on the base of the neck by the tanks.
Good tip. Mine is a brass 3-row 240 radiator, but I suppose I should check it for cracks or damage at this point.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:12 AM   #141
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Chicks dig cold A/C.

#carlfeague on IG.

LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #142
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Nice man, The best thing that I did was re-wire the 940 two speed relay, the Saab temp switch now controls the high speed, and the AC pressure switch controls the low. Seems to be alright for now.
SAAB tee in the suction (return) hose? What switch did you use, the 82*C or the 92*C?

I just made the same change to my 940, but I triggered (grounded) the low speed fan.... left the high speed as designed on the 9s, AC condenser high pressure. I can already see the gains for around town / traffic.... the low speed fan would seemingly never come on sitting in the garage during tuning sessions.... now it cycles regularly, more like a SAAB 900.

"I am also loving this 242"......

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #143
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
SAAB tee in the suction (return) hose? What switch did you use, the 82*C or the 92*C?

I just made the same change to my 940, but I triggered (grounded) the low speed fan.... left the high speed as designed on the 9s, AC condenser high pressure. I can already see the gains for around town / traffic.... the low speed fan would seemingly never come on sitting in the garage during tuning sessions.... now it cycles regularly, more like a SAAB 900.

"I am also loving this 242"......
T is in the lower suction side, 82* switch, 87* thermostat, seems to cycle fine, temp is consistent 9 o’clock on the gauge with the bypass.

I contemplated wiring it back to the ecu like the factory, but my research lead me to believe it would run warmer than what I have. Which I don’t want.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #144
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

This past Friday night I changed out all of the heater and radiator hoses for silicone pieces from IPD and DO88. I also changed the heater valve to a Europartshouse conversion, as well as a stainless pass through from STS machining.

PICS!

(my neighbor asked me if the hood ever closed )

Afterwards I buttoned her up and took it for a spin. So far so good!
While I dove into this, I also changed from the older intake with the cold start to a late model without, as well as ditched the EGR system and plugged the exhaust manifold with an oil pan bolt from the HELP section in Oreilly's (M18x1.5 is the correct thread pitch for the exhaust if you remove the adapter that is also in there).

TBH, I'm running out of things I want to do to this, and that feels good. Wasted Spark is next on the list.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #145
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Then you'll need another project man. lol
Old 07-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #146
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Then you'll need another project man. lol
Ugh, That 745 in the bay is really calling my name. I'd love to have that car and work on my paint and body skills. I already started preliminary discussions with the Mrs. we shall see...
Old 07-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #147
SquareD
An Anomaly

So good. IMO you didn't overshoot what the platform's sweet spot is, you just took what makes these cars great and cranked it up. Well done man.

Quote:
Ugh, That 745 in the bay is really calling my name.
Yesss, do eet!
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #148
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
So good. IMO you didn't overshoot what the platform's sweet spot is, you just took what makes these cars great and cranked it up. Well done man.
Thank you for the kind words!

In other news, last night I cut up my brand new aluminum door cards to install JBL 6.5" component speaker system with crossovers. Totally worth it.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #149
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

OH! The clutch slips
Old 07-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #150
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
OH! The clutch slips