• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

My company car is up for replacement soon. Some companies allow employees to expense mileage on their personal cars. After a career of Malibus, Impalas and now the Equinox; I thought I would inquire if this was an option with my company. 30k miles annually x whatever the going rate is. Imagine all the fun I could have in the DL cruising around the PNW.

Doubt the company would want me to represent them in my POS though...

I've heard of them. Didn't realize how many models they have.

Company is switching to Subaru Outback wagons. I HATE those cars. Seriously ugly.

:grrr:

https://www.subaru.com/engineering/eyesight.html

Huh. Did not know that. Amazing stuff. I can see why the lesbians like them.

100 years ago, when I was 8. I toured the Sloan Museum in Flint MI where I grew up. They had a '60's GM prototype car on exhibit there that had these cool radar cones on the front. The display sign explained how they could sense an impending impact and activate the brakes. And here they are in my lifetime. Pretty cool.

Those self driving cars can't be too far away from mainstream. (Remember that '60's Mustang on the cover of Popular Mechanics that had a mechanical arm that would attached to a cable like a ski rope tow?)

Last edited:
You'll like the way they drive. And the AWD, fugettaboudit. Makes Volvo AWD look weak

Volvo's AWD has never been much more than a badge, a component to break, and a device to keep house moms from getting startled after pulling out of a stop sign in rainy weather.

You'll like the way they drive. And the AWD, fugettaboudit. Makes Volvo AWD look weak

LOL.

The Equinox is my first experience with AWD. It's awesome.

IMG_6833-M.jpg

Yes, I agree on the A/S statement, but they still do better than bald or summer tires with AWD. Subaru AWD is leaps and bounds better and far more reliable than Cheby AWD, less right angles. Subaru's AWD system wasn't like most companies with their AWD; which is built around the motor. Subaru AWD is motor built around the drivetrain. IE= longitudinally mounted engine and drivetrain.

^Yeah, though if only the engines (Early 90s EJ22, EJ22 closed deck turbo block/forged crank, competition motors, and EJ33s excepted) were worth a crap/lasted worth a crap though.
And they're super uncomfortable for a tall 200lb guy and made for asain guys and short lesbians.
And their owners are usually douches and/or people with filthy dogs or ankle biter dogs.

That, and all but the base models get lousy fuel economy and the transmissions are weak apart from the base Legacy trans with a gutless motor and the interiors on anything but the absolute top of the line models is super cheap with uncomfortable seats.

That said, I have a soft spot for the 90-94 turbo legacys recombined with the fancy LS(I) interior and my old lifted GL-10-turbo backdated to quad headlights, XT-6 hubs, rear clutch LSD (they have crappy torsens now because clutch LSDs require service and no one wants to do that and can be potentially dangerous if you drive like an idiot...oh noes!), low range trans with lockable center diff and the absolutely nasty donuts and figure 8s it could do. Was a pretty good car and fun in its day, but not really non-descript fault-free company car material either.

Apart from the AWD and perfectly balanced quiet running (in the cab anyway) horizontal motor, I have no idea why people like those things. The motors and the rust proofing on the bodies aren't very good. And they're generally uncomfortable.

I'd much sooner just get a Gen 3 4runner stick shift or 4.0 V6 4gen+ 4runner. The "limited" gen 3 4runners can be pretty trick with a center LSD that can be locked or left in 4wd as a selectable AWD with a low range or kept in 2wd for longevity of parts/economy. 5-speeds in 2wd 25mpg highway is possible with the late 3.4s and 4.0s if you aren't and idiot and don't lift it or lose your mind.

I've also driven the RWD Volvo that kind of mileage for work.
The stick shift Volvo is a challenge (it's always in the wrong gear and the ratios are no fun at common Oregon road speeds (unless it's a 700T/Diesel with the 3.54 axle with some torque), and 7/9s are rough because the brakes are so terrible, steering is so heavy and slow, and pedal box is tiring and getting in and out of them is no fun. 240s don't suffer that at least.
A 240 with the seats/reinforced/rebuilt, quiet at stock height sorted out well initially with any light mods (like 15A plates) oriented to longevity and stock sized tires is really pretty OK. Cruise control and A/C working is also very helpful.
But the initial sort out is critical, and it'll like fairly regular attention...not necessarily long downtimes or kicking you in the teeth and stealing your weekend every other weekend/every month, but attention none the less. It's not bad though.
On the bright side, it costs about nothing to insure and is easy on fuel if a stick and kept tip top/unmolested/stock(ish).

I'd buy a 4runner, truck, mini-van or small car that doesn't feel like a total POS to be in for 30k/year that's 10-15 years old and fully depreciated that has another brutal decade of abuse left to give that's decent and keep the Volvo as backup? Or pair down to one car if you're daring and wanting to be really cheap with your insurance/maintenance costs (maybe not for the older/married guy?). That mileage writeoff potential is hard to ignore at 30k/year. 15K/year you can write off on your taxes is very hard to ignore, especially if the company would give you some kind of monthy car payment allowance or mileage allowance or some such or at least split some/all of that with you. Though it's hard to come out ahead on the maintenance end without the mile write off given they probably lease those things at fleet rate for so dirt cheap and they're new enough that repair cost is negligible/likely nothing and getting stranded and/or downtime is improbable.

And as an adjuster, as long as you don't show up in a modded lowered cockroach, I'm sure anything with no major dents/shiny paint/all one color for the most part, especially if it's just white, is socially acceptable i'd imagine.
Asking to borrow the wifes car or spending too many weekends on maintenance or ugly junkpiles laying around may result in divorce...

Last edited:
And the wife is out of town for the weekend... Boom baby!

The sun came out and I ran to the museum. Most excellent!

Power steering is a win. Still work to be done on the wander, but the steering and handling are much quicker. I can "fling" the car when previously I had to "muscle" it. Very nice.

Speaking of "flinging," the gas filler still leaks on hard lefts. Why does my car hate me? Anybody got a line on a brand new (round) filler neck?

Heat works. This is going to be an awesome company car!! LOL.

D317653D-ACC6-4618-92EB-894D374262A4-M.jpg

1E225124-060B-46ED-B27B-1C93FE996387-M.jpg

1B211A04-DCFE-4206-95B4-CE5C50746245-M.jpg

My dream car from when I was a kid. Still is.

C0F7AB89-26EF-411B-8995-36D34E9FEC7D-M.jpg

00B5834D-B90A-48B0-9EEB-F3055D6789D7-M.jpg

Is there no end to the entertainment value of an old Volvo?

Cleared the washer nozzles with a pin. Dribbling out the front now. Voltage to the rear pump, but no bueno. Looks like IPD has pumps for $12. This is going to be great.

Back