• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240: Cruise Control Options

240 parts for sure. Plug and play affair. Be sure to get the pedal switch bracket, your 240 won't have it.

Was looking in the Volvo part catalogs - didn't see pedal switch brackets...they seem to have most of the parts?

^^ The bracket for the control module and brake pedal switch is in every 1990+ 240 I have ever seen. The clutch pedal switch bracket is a very simple separate part. Volvo even puts the convoluted tubing through the firewall that protects the hard vacuum line. Like you said, it is about 1 hour to get everything installed, and then a few minutes to check the function and adjust the vacuum switches if necessary.

Was looking in the Volvo part catalogs - didn't see pedal switch brackets...they seem to have most of the parts?

90-93 US and Canadian delivered Volvo 240s have the bracket and wiring already installed. You will need the turn signal stalk with cruise buttons (black connector), CPU, CPU to main harness wiring, vacuum release switches (one for automatic and two for manual shift cars with clutch pedal), vacuum tubing, actuator and linkage to the accelerator, firewall mounted vacuum pump.

PM me and I'll send you a link with installation manual, installation video and all of the information that you would ever dream to have regarding 1990-1993 cruise.

cruise651.jpg

:nod:

Probably more of a maintenance & non-performance article regarding these items.

Awesome!! Thanks everyone. I just picked up my 92 Wagon 5 SP and drove it from California to Virginia in 3 days...could have used the cruise then for sure ;-)

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Today while upside down under the dash replacing my ignition switch (FINALLY found a brown OEM switch) in my 1990 240 wagon I noticed the control bellows and vacuum lines for cruise control connected to the accelerator and brake pedals. I assumed the car didn’t have CC since the left stalk doesn’t have any CC switches. Is it possible that the car does in fact have the rest of the system installed but a non-CC stalk was put in at some point? I’ve looked at drawings but not quite sure where the control module is located. What a treat it would be if all I had to do was swap the stalk and then have cruise control.

It sounds like it has CC. Right below the steering column will be a rectangular aluminum module about the size of a pack of cigarettes if the module is still installed. The vacuum pump will be mounted at the top of the firewall above the brake booster.

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Today while upside down under the dash replacing my ignition switch (FINALLY found a brown OEM switch) in my 1990 240 wagon I noticed the control bellows and vacuum lines for cruise control connected to the accelerator and brake pedals. I assumed the car didn’t have CC since the left stalk doesn’t have any CC switches. Is it possible that the car does in fact have the rest of the system installed but a non-CC stalk was put in at some point? I’ve looked at drawings but not quite sure where the control module is located. What a treat it would be if all I had to do was swap the stalk and then have cruise control.
Almost every 1990 240 in the USA I've seen has cruise control standard. The cruise stalk appears to not be as robust as a regular one, my '90 had the regular stalk on it when I got it. It will have the vacuum pump at the firewall in the engine bay, right next to the hood hinge on the driver's side. The cruise control stalks are shared with all of the cruise control 240's.

This old Volvo never stops surprising me. It looks like the CC system is indeed installed- vacuum pump, hoses, bellows are there- but with no control stalk. I would guess that the old one had issues and was replaced but with a non-CC stalk, which was probably more expensive or hard to come by. So now I need to hunt down a CC stalk and see if the rest of the system works.

I'm not sure what year the connector for the cruise control switch changed. I have new and used switches with the flat connector.

240TurnSignalCruiseControl.jpg

I'll look to see what the CC brain box uses. All the photos I've seen show a more square connector, but as you well know parts get swapped around all the time on these old beasties so it could have anything. Thanks!

... or you can release the metal connectors (with tiny screwdriver) and slide them out of the flat plastic housing, re-insert into your rectangular plastic housing?

Back