• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Thicker head gaskets/spacers for f+t?

Magnanimous

So I've found a few turbo cars in local junkyards and have been playing around with the idea of doing a budget F+T build.

I am a little concerned about the higher compression ratios in the N/A motor though. I'm not really planning on going insane with the power levels. Is it wise to use a thicker gasket or spacer to try to reduce the compression to a point a bit closer to what you'd see in the turbo motor?

Not on an 8v head. They seem to prefer tight piston to head clearance at those pads around the valves. But, to reduce the static CR, you can cc the chambers, open them up around the valves, then cc again to make sure they’re all the same. More chamber cc’s and the CR goes down.

Fwiw, compression test on my +t gave 11.8-12 bar compression on all cylinders (cold engine no oil on pistons). Some variation because of valve clearance too. Engine has done 330k km of which the last 80k +t.
Has seen light ping, rich running, long uphill abuse, some track days.
Sure a bit lower compression won't hurt things and makes it easier to get a reliable tune. Window for error is larger. But even my not so great working LH setup keeps it together.

Stock B230F compression will be fine with a +T. I think it's an advantage.

I ran a 200,000 mile B230F, stock LH2.4 and 11psi boost. Zero issues. About a million people on here have done similar things.

Logged in just to say I agree with Hen. ^^

Didnt know anything about turbos and did the +T with minimal reliability issues, drove all winter

I cannot think of an easier turbo conversation. Recently got into mx5's just a little bit and the +T on that is crazy compared to how simple , reliable? , brick conversions are.

Stock B230F is only about 9.1:1 regardless of what's advertised. The compression ratio should not be a huge area of concern as long as you don't crank it to 11.

Stock B230F compression will be fine with a +T. I think it's an advantage.

I ran a 200,000 mile B230F, stock LH2.4 and 11psi boost. Zero issues. About a million people on here have done similar things.

Was this on a car with the 9mm or 13mm rods?

Back